Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 9:21 AM by NoBullFunding

New Mobile Veterinary Services

drvega33 Newbie
      I have been a veterinarian for 10 years and there is a demand for mobile veterinarians in my area. I have thought about it and reviewed data and equipment to start a mobile veterinary clinic. I need to know how or where to go with these ideas to start the processof materializing it. Do i start by going to a bussiness consultant?
        • Re: New Mobile Veterinary Services
          LUCKIEST Guide
          New Mobile Veterinary Services, Welcome
            LUCKIEST Guide

Who are you, Where are you. I am a SCORE Counselor
              LUCKIEST Guide

Who are you, Where are you. I am a SCORE Counselor living in Rockland county.

Recently counseled a veterinarian who also wanted to start a mobile clinic
                NoBullFunding Scout
                First of all, I love the idea! My fiances poor cats scream like their eyes are being poked out when we shove them into their carriers.

If you are a vet now, why do you feel you need a consultant? Wouldn't you just need a van/truck and the equipment that you normally need to perform your service? There are plenty of people who can help you (myself included) but I suspect that you have all the answers already. Is there any one specific issue that is stumping you?
                    drvega33 Newbie
                    Thank you for your replies. I am wondering what is the first step from here. I have the idea, i am researching the equipment, but i have no experience running a small business. I suppose i dont just walk into the bank and ask for money. I read about writting a business plan to present. Is that the first step anyways?. Or are there other people i need to talk to before that? What is Score? I am new on this website, i have read other person's sories to learn about experiences but i need advise to guide me through the steps.
                        LUCKIEST Guide
                        New Mobile Veterinary Services

As I asked before, Who are you?? Where are you??
                        SCORE is FREE and can help you develop a business plan
                        *SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit
                        association dedicated to educating*
                        *entrepreneurs and the formation,
                        growth and success of small business nationwide.*
                            drvega33 Newbie
                            I am a veterinarian in Central Florida. Does SCORE has a website?
                                NoBullFunding Scout
                                I assumed that as a vet, you aready had a practice and wanted to expand it to include mobile services. My fault, shouldn't have assumed. If you are starting from scratch, a business plan is a good place to start. It doesnt have to be a work of literature, just a basic road map that addresses all the hows and whys of your business. There are ton of websites (I think the SBA has a good outline) that can get you started on a business plan.

If you don't want to go it alone, perhaps you can team up with an existing vet. Your services may add a welcome dynamic to their practice. Teaming up with an existing practice might also be a good idea if you are considering applying for a loan since that business will presumably have cash flow, which you won't have if you are just starting out. In today's lending environment, that could make all the difference, especially if you have significant student loans from vet school.
                          LUCKIEST Guide

Who are you, Where are you. I am a SCORE Counselor living in Rockland county.

Recently counseled a veterinarian who also wanted to start a mobile clinic.
                          Helped her develop a business and marketing plan and also helped her
                          obtain a bank loan for the van.

SCORE is FREE, a business consultant is not.

LUCKIEST