Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 11:09 PM by intechspecial

Google's profit rises 26%

iventures Adventurer
      Internet advertising giant beats analyst's profit expectations in spite of economic downturn
        • Re: Google's profit rises 26%
          websolutions Tracker
          google will continue to grow, too many businesses rely on them, not to mention everyday users.
              iventures Adventurer
              Google recently made headlines by bidding almost $5 billion in a government auction of wireless spectrum, even though the company had no plan for using it. Some of its more peculiar products include Google Sky, Google Mars, and Google Ride Finder. It has become a significant investor in alternative-energy projects. Yes, alternative energy.
              intechspecial Ranger
              Google is most certainly focusing there efforts correctly.

With the amount of current finances and budget they could very easily spread themselves thin by trying to hit to many markets to fast.

Their core focus will keep them as the defacto standard for some time to come.
                  DomainDiva Ranger
                  Their core mission is to organize the worlds data and information. They have no idea of the other information sectors out there that affect our daily lives, even seemingly innocuous information say at an engine repair shop could have long lasting effects.

I am glad for Sergi and Larry for creating a wonderful company however...too much too fast...trying to index all the worlds information from meta data on down the knowledge chain? what then about the meta data 2 of the meta data????
                      iventures Adventurer
                      Google is a company in the midst of a pretty significant identity crisis, but it probably doesn't know that yet. When you are at the point of having so much cash flow and so much success, and you have an employee culture based on being the smartest, best-treated, most important people in the world, you tend to think you can do just about anything. That is a wonderful thing. But if you end up trying to do everything, you can end up forgetting who you are.

Shifts in how culture interacts with technology regularly surprise dominant, near-monopolistic companies. We saw it with IBM and mainframes, who, despite knowing it was coming, lost the interface to Microsoft and Windows. And we saw it again with Windows, which is losing the interface to the Web, search and Google. It remains to be seen if Google will be surprised by a shift from search to something else.
                          DomainDiva Ranger
                          IVentures..thanks for this perspective. You put into words the 'I-can't-describe-what-I-am-thinking-seeing'' feeling I have about Google.....

Best DD
                            intechspecial Ranger

iventures -

I would have to disagree with you on this.

The internet and the amount of data is growing and will continue to scale to a much higher level.

Being number one in one arena, and a household name allows them to spread themselves into many other markets.

By diversifying there efforts but keeping there core concept number 1 they are only going to increase there level of success.

Google also does pay much attention to the need of the people, and I have not seen google as believing in themselves in this fashion.

As a note of interest when is the last time you or someone you know have "Googled" someone or something?

On a change of subject, when was the "Kleenex" company founded?