This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2008 8:51 PM by blitzchris RSS

Creative, non-monetary ways to incentivise your employees?

KPIfix Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What are some creative, non-monetary ways to incentivise your employees?

In these cash-strapped times, we're looking for ideas to reward employees for hitting their targets, or meeting their goals.

Ideas please...
  • Re: Creative, non-monetary ways to incentivise your employees?
    intechspecial Master

Take the least productive person on the team, and review his/her work. Sit down and discuss options with them to improve performance.

Do not make it a "do this or else" review but rather an information review of his/her production, and share with them your organizations target goals, encourage through positive reinforcement, but be firm in the organization's needs.

Of course the entire office will talk about this, and if his/her work suddenly becomes more productive, I am sure it will stir up a little "competition", as no one like to be at the bottom of the pack.

Also be sure to review the most productive person on the team, and give added benefits to there production, as well as display them as leader. (20 minutes extra on lunch, ask him to give a few pointers as to his methods, etc.)
    iventures Novice

It is vital that small business owners and managers understand the importance of staff remuneration and the dynamics involved in motivating employees. Pay is but one aspect of the complex needs of your workforce and owners and managers must recognize that staff are not just incentivised by financial rewards.

A good staff remuneration scheme will recognize that non-monetary benefits such as recognition,

responsibility, flexible working and personal development are just as important. Employers must be flexible enough to adapt to the varying needs of individual employees.

The purpose of non-monetary incentives is to reward associates for excellent job performance through opportunities. Non-monetary incentives include flexible work hours, training, pleasant work environment, and sabbaticals.
    Iwrite Master
    Here are some of the things I have really enjoyed as an employee and look to include in my agency:
    • Flex Time
    • Additional Vacation Days
    • Summer Hours/Fridays
    • Employee Discounts
    • Telecommuting
    • Reserved Parking
    • Movies at Lunch
    • Buy a grill and cook on Friday (this became huge, the company would pay for the meats and each department would bring sides)
    I know a lot of this might not work for you but these are some things I like. Hope it helps.
      intechspecial Master
      iWrite -

When your company has expanded, please do allow me the pleasure of attending some of your business meetings.

If this is how good your employees have it, I can only imagine business relations.
        Iwrite Master
        You will always be welcome. DomainDiva can tell you, I don't behave like a business person, I'm a creative and I try to approach everything from the view of a creative.

I forgot the coolest thing I ever got: a hand written thank-you note from my CEO for coming to work for him. I got it the first day I came to work. And his actions over the years proved he meant it.

The funny thing about what I'm trying to do is that most of it is old-school. Advertising agencies used to do all of this and more. But when they started being bought by big holding companies they lost their personalities. I got into advertising as this shift was happening, I got a to experience the good times and then watch them go away. I'm trying to get back to what I know.

Here is me on my soapbox: most of us started our business because we were unhappy working for someone else - either they didn't pay us or appreciate us or treat us the way we felt we deserved. We walked away saying never again, opened our own businesses and forgot everything we went through. Do we treat our employees better, appreciate them more or try to pay them better? Or have we become the bosses that drove us to this place?

This is why I want to do better by my people (when I have people) because I wish someone had done the same for me. I will have a grill!! And we will use it!!
          DomainDiva Master
          The first time IWrite met with me and the 'art director' we first had to get through the laughter thing. My side was hurting so bad....

Our creative time (3 days non stop) a few weeks ago was wonderful as he dug deeper into who we really are and what we do to get our message out. It is all about getting it done not all the extemporaneous business stuff...that comes later...creativity is creativity and for that people need emotional and intellectual room to work. Watching Derek and Jim in the corner, hunched over the laptops, commiserating has been replayed in my mind a bunch of times since then.

Our team is SO thankful for Derek (IWrite)

Theres no deja moo here folks....

Yes we will be using the grill and I am bringing the deviled eggs and special salad.

DD
    solushunz Newbie
    One method that I find to be highly successful is to grant time off with pay for higher productive employees. It is a small investment that leads high dividends. Another relative low cost option that works well for us is gift cards. Most of these can be purchased in denominations as low as $10.00. The big hits for us are gas cards, blockbuster cards and apple itunes cards(these start @ $15.00). Depending on your industry you can also reward the employee by doing their task for one hour.(most effective if they get to choose the hour preferably in advance)
    intechspecial Master

How about this........

once a year, have a day called "dress like the boss day".

If the boss is likeable, well respected, and confident, how about "mimic the boss day" where employees mimic everything he does from the shoes he wears to how he eats his lunch.

Nothing like a slight bit of humor to loosen things up a little, and allow a friendly relaxed environment.

Of course the next day you will have to fire three employees to insure production continues.
      intechspecial Master

I would offer my employees this opportunity to have boss day like this for me.

But I would be so disugsted with myself after the end of the day, I would have to go get a facelift, sell my business, move to a third world country and start another business.

Anyway's thats me.

I apologize in advance if my comment seems senseless and stupid, I was just trying to get a laugh.

If at first you do not succeed, try try again.
    blitzchris Newbie
    All in all just leting your employees know they are doing a good job and your happy with them is all alot of people ask for. But I do like the grill idea on fridays!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points