Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 6:01 PM by nnpwebmaster

Florida online business sales tax question

robbrow Newbie
      Hi all,

Does anyone know if online retail businesses in the state of Florida must collect and file sales tax from customers living in Florida? I am finding conflicting information about this online, or more likely, just not understanding what I am reading correctly.

While I am uncertain about the above question, its seems clear from my reading that Florida online retailers do not need to collect sales tax from customers living outside of the state. If this is incorrect, however, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Rob

• Re: Florida online business sales tax question
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

If the purchase is not specifically tax exempt, then yes, sales tax is due on any transaction that's completed in Florida (i.e., a transaction where the seller receives payment in Florida and the buyer receives the taxable product or service in Florida).

It makes things less confusing if you always keep in mind that it is the BUYER who is being charged the sales tax, and the buyer who is paying that tax to the state. The seller (your business) is merely COLLECTING that tax from the buyer, and then passing the money on to the Department of Revenue when you file. Your certificate tells the customer that the state has authorized/required you to do that.

Florida doesn't have the authority to tax a buyer who resides in some other state, so you do not collect sales tax on items shipped to customers outside of Florida.

Hope that helps. Best wishes.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Henrykjr Newbie

The answer is yes.

I run an online business and submit a quarter sales tax report along with a check. From personal experience, you do not want to mess with the Florida Department of Revenue they can make your life a living hell. Better just to pay them the sales tax you collect.

Regards, Henry
              nnpwebmaster Newbie

Ok I don't mean to further complicate the question... BUT...

Can someone tell me if these assertions are correct? (Specially the one that says that if you are running a home business you don't have to charge taxes)

Running your business from your home:
              Q: If you live in any U.S. state and have a home based business (no warehouse or outside office space), do you need to charge sales tax?
              A: No. You don’t have to charge any sales taxes.

Running your business from an office/warehouse:
              Q: If you live in any U.S. state and sell products out of a small warehouse, do you need to charge sales tax?
              A: You only need to charge a sales tax to Florida residents, out of state online orders don’t require sales tax.

Running your business from multiple locations:
              Q: If you have offices/warehouses in multiple states, for instance California, Illinois, and Nebraska, do you need to charge a sales tax?
              A: You need to charge a sales tax to California, Illinois, and Nebraska residents only.