Post a new topic
    35 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 11:11 AM by stephrock

Do anyone has info about Express funding group/Rothwell grp?

bluebonnet2 Newbie
      We are considering signing a contract for a loan from Rothwell; and upon researching them on the internet, there is little to no information out there. We came to them from Express Funding Group, http://www.merchantloans.com/index.htm. After filling out a pre-application online, someone called us from Rothwell. The loan quote is for a secure loan and the contract seems straight forward. Still we wanted to know if Rothwell has a history, whether good or bad, to help us in our decision.
        • Re: Do anyone has info about Express funding group/Rothwell grp?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Express funding group/Rothwell group, Welcome

Contact a GOOD Lawyer before signing a contract for a loan.

Good luck
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Fortis Wayfarer
            Hello bluebonnet2,

Hope all is well. Unsure of the company. What type of loan are they offering you?
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              Two firms with the name "Rothwell Group" are listed with D&B, one in Houston and one in Ottawa -- both consulting firms. Is one of them the firm you are dealing with? If not, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the loan deal you were offered . . . but if you were a lender (or any kind of financial provider these days) wouldn't you go out of your way to demonstrate legitimacy -- and to assure potential customers of your strength and credibility? If I couldn't find out anything about an entity with which I was considering doing business, I'd assume there was a reason and move forward cautiously. Good luck and best wishes.
                Nusantara Wayfarer
                Bluebonnet2,

Sound like you are deal with merchant cash advance company. if so, you may consider alternative funding for your business without going to merchant cash advance which can charge you as high as 125% from the original cash advance that you taken out from them.

If you need alternative, please contact us. We offer fair finacing for small business fast up to $100,000.

Basic Requirement :
                • Have personal credit score 600
                • Have separate business bank account
                • Have been in business at least 1 yr if you accept credit card or 2 yr old if the business doesnt accept credit card
                • Your ending balance business bank statement at least $3000/month
                Nusantara Consultant INC
                Business Broker
                169-24 Hillside Avenue 2nd FL
                JAMAICA, NY 11432
                P : 1 888.307.8430
                Local : 718.785.9615
                Fax : 718.523.1116
                EMAIL : enusantara@aol.com
                    bluebonnet2 Newbie
                    Thanks Nusantara.

I don't think that this is a cash advance company. From my conversation with them yesterday, they are a brokerage firm. The business loan contract that we have is 70K at 6% fixed over 10 years. Compound interest is factored in but overall it sounds like a good deal to us. It's a secure loan that requires a secure deposit of 9 months worth of payments. Monthly payments are $774.56 so we would have to provide that X 9 which equals $6,971.04 up front. We wouldn't make our 10th payment until August 2009

I also asked about ammoritization and found out that if we pay the loan off early, we'd be paying to the front end and not the back....and I am told that this fine print would be in the final contract.

Thanks for your offer to help us. We meet all of your criteria except for 3K bank balance because we have remodeled our business plan. We've been in existence for 2.5 years. Bottom line is that we need money to make money, because at present we are not making any. Though we are comfortable with the criteria as it stands, would you be willing to look over the contract for us? Perhaps you can catch something that we might otherwise overlook.
                        Gladtofindyou Newbie
                        I also was contacted by this Rothwell group after filling out a web form on the Express Funding website. They offered the exact same 6% for 10 years on a 300K business startup loan. All they wanted was the first 2 months upfront. I figured something was fishy as loan applications usually take several months and require some serious collateral. They faxed me a simple looking loan contract with their signature already filled out and Witnessed. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I hope anyone who is contacted by this group finds this forum and doesnt get taken by these guys.
                      GrowthCurve Adventurer

My advice is to forget about this company. I think you are being set up to be taken (especially if they are asking you for money in advance).

First, there is no address or phone number on the Web site www-dot-rothwellfinancial-dot-com.

This should be your first warning.

However, a quick "whois" of this domain reveals the following.

There is no name given with the domain registration. In some cases, people intend for this to be private, but if you are dealing with a reputable company, especially one working in finance, wouldn't you rather know who is behind the company?

The address given for the domain registration is:

http://www.loopnet.com/property/14849017/10400-Linn-Station-Road/

This is in Kentucky.

There is no entity -- corporation, partnership -- organized or doing business legally in the state of Kentucky under the name Rothwell Financial. You can check this out for yourself.

Another red flag, the domain name was registered by someone with an IP address in Singapore.

Finally, the domain was created only on 9/25/08, or about a week ago. I don't know about you, but unless I can see someone face to face, I'm not excited about doing financial business with a company that's been around a week.

Do your homework, and be careful.
                          bluebonnet2 Newbie

GrowthCurve! It looks like you have done our homework for us! THANK YOU! After seeing your email, we contacted Express Funding Group (the company that we originally filled out the online pre-application for) and asked them how they were affiliated with Rothwell and would you believe that they do not know who Rothwell is. I emailed the rep the loan agreement and upon review, she could not draw any connection. She said she'd show it to her supervisor...and she confirmed in her records that no one from that office ever contacted me. Furthermore, she disclosed that this is not how Express Funding works...that they do not seek out banks, private lenders and investors for the applications recevied. Instead, they do all of the work in their office.

So it seems apparent to us that our application was intercepted by Rothwell. And judding from the reponse from Josh, the same thing probably happened to him.

Thanks again!!! We sincerely appreciate your help on our behalf. Sadly we don't have the capital needed to move forward, but at least we aren't 7K in the hole.
                              scammed1 Newbie
                              Hello,
                              We needed extra cash so filled out the express funding group's online application. We actually fell for their scam. We were soo desperate for the money that we signed the contract & everything and sent them money. Does anyone know who we can contact to get our money back or if there is any action that we can take against them? We already have to shut down all of our accounts because we faxed them copies of check stubs & drivers licenses. Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP. Thanks
                                  bluebonnet2 Newbie
                                  To the both of you, I recommend that you review the prior page showing the BBB report that I posted. I seriously doubt that you will get your money back....and to clarify, I do not think that Express Funding is the problem. It's the Rothwell Financial Group. I've spoken with reps from Express Funding and they are legitimate and are even in litigation with Rothwell. Some how Rothwell figured out how to get Express Funding's online inquiries routed to them. As a result, you may very well not receive a confirmation email when filling out the express application. That's what happened to us. I am sorry that you lost your money. I would just contact the BBB to file a claim.
                              josh7222 Newbie

I was contacted by the same group after signing up with Express funding. The terms are pretty much the same. The monthly payment is also very close. I am not sure about doing this because:

No record in the BBB
                              Did not even ask to look at my business plan
                              IP after the WHOIS lookup is in Singapore like someone mentioned earlier
                              Why do you need to put up money before you borrow money? Isn't that the reason why you are borrowing?
                              Guy sounded like he was reading off of a script

Let me know if you go through with it and how it turns out.
                                  bluebonnet2 Newbie
                                  Josh, we also checked the BBB and didn't see anything on them. Likewise, we submitted a request to them to create a report on Rothwell. Did you speak to a James Eastwood? Whenever I call him, I have to announce my name before he'll pick up the call.
                                      josh7222 Newbie
                                      No, I spoke with Richard Gladstone. I find it weird to say my name before they will talk. Does not seem very professional. It is just a bummer because I need this business loan asap and a bank wants my first born baby plus my right arm as collateral. I am doing more research tomorrow. Is there a way to send a secured check and it only clears when you receive the loan money?
                                          bluebonnet2 Newbie
                                          Same here! We're at a standstill ourselves...sitting on great potential business until a loan comes through. At this point we are spooked about what everyone found out and are reluctant to go any further...so I don't want to see what happens if I send them the 7K....so not gonna do it. Let me know what you find out in your research.
                                              josh7222 Newbie
                                              BBB is looking into the business. I am trying to see if there is a way to put the $7700 in a secure account and will only be released if I get my $100,000. Only thing I can think of is putting it in a secured CD in a 3rd party bank.
                                                  GrowthCurve Adventurer
                                                  Josh -

In my opinion, you are working too hard to find a way to make this work, even when it won't.

Think about it...if the company needs $7,700 in the bank before they can advance you the $100,000, why wouldn't they just advance you $92,300 and put the remaining $7,700 in the account that they need?

I know that you probably had big plans for that $100,000, but I don't see it happening -- at least not with Rothwell Financial.
                                                      michpi Newbie
                                                      We wanted to give some new info on Rothwell Financial / Rothwell Financial Group . This company is 100% scam. We are a private investigation company and were contacted by a Mike Brown (no offense but if that isnt suspect enough to start) after also submitting for a business loan of $40,000. Same scenario as previously where they required $4500 down on the loan which to me sound fishy right from the start. After some investigation, there is almost no info on the company but they claim to be at 10400 Linn Station Rd. Louisville KY 40223 and "Mike Brown" admittedly told me they were in Suite 205. When I contacted building management they told me they have never heard of Rothwell Financial nor do they have a Suite 205 .

We have contacted the authorities and notified building management at the Linn Station Rd Address and they are aware of the situation. We are now in process of tracing the IP address thru the emails sent to me to get a location on who is behind this deal. Also, the previous poster was correct in stating that the domain name was just created September 29, 2008 and the website is a cookie cutter flash site with basic info, non of which includes their address.

I guarantee the phone number 877-621-3149 will most likely soon be disconnected.
                                                        michpi Newbie
                                                        New Update: My contact, "Mike Brown" accidentally called himself James. As I look at the people that posted someone claimed their agent was named James Eastwood. After outting them as fakes I asked him to spell his name and he said "Sir, my name is Jame... Mike Brown." I asked him why he would start to say his name was James and he clammed up. He said, "I never said that!" I asked him why he would say he was in Suite 205 when in fact there was no Suite 205. He then said "That was Absurd!" he claimed he had been with the company for 4 years and that they had been in business for over 14 years. It was only after I called and left a message that I was ready to send the cash "security" money, that they started answering my phone calls again. When I asked to speak with a supervisor he told me, it wouldnt matter as he was handling my loan.

As an additional note the person I spoke with "Mike Brown" who is obviously also "James Eastwood" spoke with a real "trying to be articulate" tone of voice. Trying too hard to be professional. After I got him spun up the real person came out and he lost all "articulation" along with the fact that he got very flustered, IE: starting to say his name was James.

Also he claimed that the reason they needed the "security" payment was due to the "State of the Economy"
                                                            bluebonnet2 Newbie
                                                            Very interestting!

I spoke with James Eastwood today because he called me claiming that my rude lawyer, Frank, called him....incidentally, I contacted Express Funding Group (whom I believe is legitimate) and directed them to this very link. In addition I sent them the loan application from James Eastwood/Rothwell Financial....so it looks like they are onto him and their lawyers have contacted him. It is my belief, that somehow Rothwell Financial is intercepting the online loan applications submitted on other websites, including Express Funding. I told James that I didn't want to continue with the loan agreement and he ran himself in circles telling me the same thing over and over again. His reason for why I had to provide the 7K up front for a 70K loan is because the invester that he located is in Canada....which gives reason as to why they wouldn't use my car as collateral...because a Canadian company wouldn't be able to liquidate collateral in the U.S. He also cited the sluggish economy....

michpi - your description of Jam....Mike Brown is the same as our guy and we are not amused. Please tell me...was it through application from Express Funding Group (www.merchantloans.com) that Rothwell contacted you or was it through another website??? I betcha that they are intercepting tons of sites and that people are actually sending them money...much like I was going to do...and because of this, I think that they'll keep their infamous-toll-free-name-recognition-line going.
                                                                michpi Newbie
                                                                Yes Bluebonnet, I did go thru the site you have mentioned and I have contacted them directly and they are "very" aware of "Rothwell Financial" they told me they are currently in the process of finding out how the information was aquired by them. Most likely they portrayed themselves as a legitimate lender just to get the leads from expressfunding and that will soon stop.

I can tell you this, Mike Brown/James Eastwood is aware of this posting online relating to "Rothwell Financial" because as I dragged him along, teasing him with sending money to gain more info, I mentioned that there was no real info relating to their company online and without mentioning this site, he actually said "Well dont take peoples posting on a forum as a true statement regarding our company" Obviously they have searched themselves and have found this info and I can assure you that they are checking it daily.

I have now made it my daily ritual to call and mess with these mopes.
                                                                    GrowthCurve Adventurer
                                                                    Looks like we have collectively outed a scam artist. Congratulations, everyone!

Hopefully we have saved at least one business owner from making a huge mistake. It's sad that there are people who will take your last dollar because they know you are clinging to hope.

This just goes to show you...have HAVE to do your homework, and if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I'm getting ready to do a little more "homework" on a company that also seems to be taking advantage of small business owners. The sad thing is, you can find many replies from people who claim to work there right here in this forum...offering their "help."

If there's one thing I enjoy, it's helping people keep from sending thousands of hard-earned dollars to a scam artist.

Let's all keep up the good work!
                                                                        bluebonnet2 Newbie
                                                                        GrowthCurve...I have obtained a 'growth curve' in connecting with all of you on here, so thank you for your contributions. It would be interesting to know about the research you find. I have the same speculations about certain ones on here....that they are not really helpers for the cause. We also received an email from this site....apparently someone read our posting and figured out how to obtain our email address through our forum posting. The subject line mentioned the BoA forum posting....makes me roll my eyes......
                                                                        bluebonnet2 Newbie

Very interesting that he would mention the forum. He's still waiting on a response from me...I'm sure that he knows by now that we aren't game.
                                                        angelroses Newbie
                                                        First off I want to say thank you for all the information. I was also contacted by a Nancy Cunningham from this "so called" company. When I confronted her about the info I found on BBB.com, she insisted that was another company and that she could assure me their legal team was investigating those allegations. My room mate was going to loan me the money to send as a "security" but we had some real concerns as to why we had to send it money gram, why we had to announce our name before Nancy would answer, why the contract stated USD if they are in the US, & why if my credit was so bad would they offer me a 6% interest rate. Well we made an appointment to go see this "so called" broker @ her " so called" office in KY & after reading that suite did not exist we decided not to go. Besides it would cost 100.00 in gas to get there. Any way I went to send a fax last night & their fax # had been disconnected. Hmmm imagine all that. Well my main reason for posting is that in hopes others will read and not be scammed by this "company".
                                                            bluebonnet2 Newbie

angelroses and ALL - This morning I received a report from Dorothy w/ the Better Business Bureau verifying our suspicions about Rothwell Financial....read below!

**********************************************************

SCAM Below is our current report on the company.

Reliability Report for
                                                            Rothwell Financial Group

This is NOT a BBB Accredited business

BBB Rating Not Rated

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report.

The company you inquired about is Rothwell Financial Group. The company is located at 10400 Linn Station Road in Louisville, KY 40223. The principal contact(s) on file for Rothwell Financial Group are: Terrence Woodward, Chief Executive Office Company Phone Number(s) are as follows: (877) 621-3149 Company Fax Number(s) are as follows: (502) 371-8710 Company Web Address(es) are as follows: http://www.rothwellfinancial.com The company sells/provides CAN NOT CLASSIFY. BBB Rating Back To Top

CONSUMER WARNING: The company operating under the name Rothwell Financial Group is engaged in criminal activity, particularly the scam known as the ADVANCED FEE LOAN SCAM. It is against Federal Law to require any payment in advance for the purpose of granting a loan.The company is not located at the address given and is not known to be anywhere in the area of Louisville KY and there is no indication that it is a real company. A BBB trace of it's website indicated that the server used is located in Singapore Do not send any money or give any personal information to anyone claiming to represent this or any other company requiring payment in advance of loaning money.You will not be able to recover any money that you send. If you have given any personal information such as Social Security numbers, bank checking or credit account numbers, or any data you do not wish to be known the BBB strongly recommends that you file a FRAUD ALERT immediately. You may do so by calling one of the three credit report agencies (EQUIFAX @ 1-800-525-6285/ EXPERIAN @ 1-888-397-3742/ or TRANS UNION @ 1-800-680-7289). If you believe you are a victim of Identity Theft please visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/ for additional information. You may also call the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-438-4338 if you do not have web access. You may file a formal complaint with the FBI at http://www.ic3.gov/ if you have been contacted by an advanced fee loan scammer, whether or not you have have been victimized.If you have further questions and wish to speak to a BBB Representative you may call the Louisville BBB at 1-800-388-2222. While we will be happy to assist you in anyway it is not possible to process a complaint against this company as it does not exist. Once again, complaints should be filed with the FBI at www.ic3.gov

The Better Business Bureau has received inquiries about this business from people who have been offered a loan but asked to pay a significant amount of money, in one case an amount said to be the "first six months of payments," in advance of receiving the loan proceeds. This raises great concern, because businesses requiring such advance payments are generally scams. In the BBB's experience, a "lender" who collects significant fees or advance payments on a loan such as those offered by Rothwell Financial Services, prior to the time when the loan proceeds are paid, will take the advance payment but will never provide the loan amount promised to the borrower. CLICK HERE for more information about advance fees and payments associated with loan offers. If you have sent money to Rothwell Financial Group but have not received the loan you were promised, please CLICK HERE to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB would also like to hear from you in the event that you have received a loan promised by this business (although we currently believe that is unlikely to occur.) If you have successfully obtained a loan through Rockwell Financial Group and have received the loan proceeds, please sent a message about your transaction with the company to info@louisville.bbb.org.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the business's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

BBB processed a total of 2 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 2 complaints closed in the last 36 months, 2 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:
                                                            <table class="jive-wiki-table">
                                                            <tr>
                                                            <td>2</td>
                                                            <td>regarding Contract Disputes</td>
                                                            <td>2</td>
                                                            <td>regarding Contract Disputes</td>
                                                            </tr>
                                                            <tr>
                                                            </tr>
                                                            </table>

These complaints were closed as:
                                                            <table class="jive-wiki-table">
                                                            <tr>
                                                            <td>2</td>
                                                            <td>No Response</td>
                                                            <td>2</td>
                                                            <td>No Response</td>
                                                            </tr>
                                                            <tr>
                                                            </tr>
                                                            </table>

As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.

BBB Reliability Reports are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Reliability Report is believed reliable, but not guaranteed as to accuracy.

BBB Reliability Reports generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Reliability Reports are subject to change at any time.

If you choose to do business with this business, please let the business know that you contacted the BBB for a BBB Reliability Report.

ID: 159129129
                                                            Report as of: 10/8/2008
                                                            Copyright © 2007 Better Business Bureau®, Inc. serving Louisville, Southern Indiana, and Western Kentucky
                                                            harley01 Newbie

DO NOT do business with this company. I have just been a victim of this so called company's scam. Unfortunately being in a desperate situation I did send this company $1500.00 and now and come to find out I will not get my loan nor will I get my money back. At this company I spoke to a James Eastwood and of course he made everything sound great and the contract looked good to and I fell for it because of having poor credit and I needed a loan to for my daughters tuition and hopefully my continuing education they offered me a loan. Told me my "security deposit" would be applied to my loan and my first payment would not be due till July 2009. I am very embarrassed to say I fell for this. PLEASE anyone don't lose out like I have done. I don't have alot of money and now I have even less. Please feel free to contact me regarding this company.