Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 10:26 PM by dclgraphics

I want to start lawn service business. Any suggestion??

Theredman Newbie
      hi forum, I have about ~$75K . I want to start a lawn service business where I hire couple of people to go and do lawn mowing and some non major work. I'm not from this field so I don't have any knowledge of this business . What things should I be careful of in this business? How much gross sAle required to breakeven on expense? Any help would be AppreciAted. Thank you.
        • Re: I want to start lawn service business. Any suggestion??
          intechspecial Ranger
          First suggestion - BE CAREFUL! It would be real easy to lose all 75k if not handled properly.

Next I suggest you get professional advice from your local SCORE or Small Business Administration office.

Finally, with the economy the way it is currently it would be real easy for your business to take a major loss and have to shut down.

Plan, plan, and plan some more. Then seek professional advice, and then plan plan again.

www.freeits.net
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            A_Ellicott Adventurer
            My first piece of advice would be to pursue some other business. The great thing about a yard mowing business is that you can start it with very little initial investment. The bad thing is that so can your competitors. When anybody with a pickup truck and a lawnmower is a potential competitor it makes for some brutal price competition at the low end of the business.

If you really want to pursue it, I suggest you aim higher and broader with your view of your potential market. That means two things. First trying to get commercial accounts, office buildings, shopping centers, etc. Second, it means offering more services.

You mentioned "non major work". I would expand on that idea beyond cutting grass to just about any type of outdoor work. Some businesses plant seasonal colors in their beds. Do that. With the season changing there's leaf raking, gutter cleaning, window washing, putting up Christmas lights, perhaps even snow shoveling/blowing, you get the idea. Please note that you should definitely not offer services you are not capable of performing. However, to set your business apart from the crowd I would strongly suggest you enlarge your vision and scope of services.
              Mybizfiler Adventurer

You can very well startup a Lawn service business but require a market research and business plan. We would be helping you preparing business plan but it cost you minimum.

Forming a company is US is said to be less complicated task compared to forming a company in rest of the world however when you are applying from abroad it becomes tougher. We at ICS, makes your task easy and help you providing incorporation of a business in US and provide complete incorporation services at competitive pricing. ICS (www.mybizfiler.com) can help you and your business. Offers a wide range of services typically offered by a Big 5 Accounting firm and a CPA firm in the U.S. ICS offers Incorporation, Book Keeping, Payroll Services, HR & Business Consulting etc.

You can reach Mr. Kiran Kumar(Senior Manager) at 979-633-4221 and can mail him @ kirankumar.tummala@mybizfiler.com, as he is very well experienced and has considerable knowledge in incorporation services

For more information and details please visit ICS web site http://www.mybizfiler.com/.

You can also visit our informational blog site: http://mybizfiler.wordpress.com/.

Disclaimer: ICS does not offer legal services or legal advice, but only generic information on legal subjects. ICS is not an attorney or law firm and not a substitute for an attorney or law firm
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Want to start lawn service business, Welcome

Two suggestions. Contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE both online and in person

Prepare both a Business and a Marketing Plan (and SCORE can help)

Good luck, LUCKIEST
                  intechspecial Ranger
                  Thank you for marking my post as helpful.

I wish you the best in your venture.

If your business needs anything visit my companies home page: http://www.freeits.net
                    Wayfarer
                    Be careful about business credit cards.

A true business credit card is a line of credit that is taken in the name of the business, under the business' credit. Activity, whether good or bad, is reflected on your business' credit report through D&B and other financial institutions, and the liability for any debts incurred and bills owed is with the business.However, some companies out there offer "business" credit cards which they require a person guarantee for. These institutions will often ask for a personal guarantee, and will almost always ask for a social security number from the person applying for the card.

If this is the case, the credit card is not a business credit card, but is simply a personal credit card which is used for the business. The business is not liable for bills and debts - you are. When applying for a credit card for your business, watch out for areas asking for your SSN (and not your TaxID or EIN) and be wary of any credit card that asks for a personal guarantee. By ensuring that your credit card is in the name of your business, you can help to build your business' credit, while avoiding creating problems with your own.

Many companies offer a list of credit cards that are issued under the business name only. Those lists typically run $300-$900, depending on the quality of the information inquiring. I would suggest starting your search online via google or yahoo. Search for "strong business credit" (just like that in quotes) to find services that sell the information.

Good luck,

Ilya Bodner
                    Small Business Owner
                    Initial Underwriting Group
                      dclgraphics Wayfarer
                      "Nilsson Associates has some of the best ideas for the landscape industry.. in depth coverage, knowledgeable step by step approach" http://www.nilssonbooks.com

David C. Lopez
                      www.dclgraphics.com