Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 12:22 AM by SME_ally

Looking To Start a Collegiate Apparel Retail Business

carolinafan82 Newbie
      I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I am finally wanting to get serious about this. What do I need to do to get the ball rolling? Any advice would help.
        • Re: Looking To Start a Collegiate Apparel Retail Business
          HarmikBurbank Wayfarer

First thing you do as any smart business man or woman would do is Business Plan. there many software that will assist you .

Good Luck

http://www.legalcpu.com
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Looking To Start a Collegiate Apparel Retail Business, Welcome

Tell me more. Who are you?? Where are you?? How soon do you plan on
            Starting this Collegiate Apparel Retail Business??

I am a SCORE Counselor. SCORE is FREE and yes SCORE and or I can help you get started.
            How do I get in touch with you??

LUCKIEST
                carolinafan82 Newbie
                Hey luckiest, thanks for the help. My name is Don Chambers, I live in South Carolina. I am wanting to open a purely Carolina and Clemson collegiate store. Where I live in SC, you have to drive an hour to get a good selection on Carolina items, you have to drive 3 hours for a selection on Clemson items. There are obviously a ton of Carolina and Clemson fans where I live, and I really think this is an untapped market. I would love to open up a couple of months before football season starts to really jump in on the momentum of the 09 season. I have wanted to have my own business for a long time, I am tired of working 12 hour shifts and working to make someone else rich. I am really excited about this, I just don't know what the heck I am doing. I would appreciate your help.
                SME_ally Adventurer
                Hello carolinafan82,

I too went to USC but it's the one out in the west! First things first, like the previous post, you need a business plan. Now don't let that scare you, it's just a road map of all the things you'll need to do to start this business. If you do not require investors, bank loans, etc. then your plan can be as informal as writing on a napkin.

Here is an overall view:
                Should start by knowing how much you will need to start the business and know how much you can put in.
                Locate vendors (people selling your merchandise).
                Survey locations for your shop.
                Register your business, get a reseller permit, talk to accountants, etc.
                Lease your shop and install furniture and fixtures, etc.
                Buy your inventory
                Do pre-opening marketing for your shop (post flyers on the campus, ads in school paper, email school club presidents, fraternities, sororities)

This is just a general outline, your plan could be longer depending on what you want to do and after factoring in unexpected events. But it should give you an idea where to start.

Good luck and don't lose to Florida next year!!