Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 10:54 PM by Lighthouse24

Where do we begin?

faithhope Newbie
      We are a small church ministry with extremely minimal funds. It is our desire to expand ministry to the surrounding communities through teaching Languages such as Spanish and English, tutoring and mentoring and other needed skills for youth as well as adults. We will need equipment and classroom furniture. We would love to provide these services for free, however, the staff would need to be salaried. We have the facility to do this, however, where and how do we begin from scratch?
        • Re: Where do we begin?
          bigcloudmedia Adventurer

Dear Faithhope,

That sounds like an excellent cause and I wish you the best in this endeavour.

Firstly, you should put together a plan for this segment of the ministry. You want to make sure you know where the money is going to go before you get it. This helps simplify things later on and ensures that everyone involved is on the right track.

To draw attention to the program, I would suggest putting out flyers and getting your members to talk to their friends about it. Word of mouth is incredibly crucial in these types of drives. Community outreach can do wonders for this and increase donations as well.

Fundraising activites are another option to get some funding. Carwashes, lawn-mowing, candybars, etc. Things that you can do that don't cost too much to implement.

Corporate donation is also another option (though i am not sure about the legalities, if there are any). I know alot of corporations are looking for ways to give back to the community and I think that this cause would be a good one to bring to their attention. Im sorry I can't be more specific and suggest specific corporations that would be interested. I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Lastly, I would suggest a website for your ministry. Not just because I am the owner of a web-design company, but because I think it would help with reaching more people, giving people more ways to contribute to your cause and letting people know what your program is about.

Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance and I hope this posting helps.

I can be reached by email at kflowers@bigcloudmedia.com or by phone at 210-373-7352.

Koji Flowers
          210-373-7352
          Big Cloud Media
          www.bigcloudmedia.com
          "We don't just build websites, we open doors"

bpmsolutions Newbie
            As a community resource, go to the community. Ask people (both individuals and companies) to donate unused items that they might otherwise throw out or give to a charity like Goodwill.
            Also, encourage companies in the area to support you through donations (money and goods). Programs like your help the community (i.e., keep kids off the street). You'd be amazed at what people will help with if you aren't afraid to ask.
            For proof, read "Make the Impossible Possible" by Bill Strickland. It really helped me realize that my options were unlimited.

Best of luck to you.
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

As for the equipment and furniture you need . . . a few years ago, a friend of mine was trying to do a similar thing for a children's shelter. She had a complete list of what was urgently needed to start up. On her 40th birthday, we (her friends) planned a party to be held in the space she had acquired. We found the best prices for everything on the list and prepared a sort of "gift registry" -- then sent that list out with party invitations asking people to please not buy her a card or gift, but rather consider buying a chair, or table, or something else from the list and donating it. Amazingly (or maybe not that amazing at all) everything she needed to open the facility had been purchased and brought to the facility by the night of the party (plus several people gave gift cards from Home Depot). She was so surprised and thrilled. The party was a lot of fun, too! I hope maybe that will inspire an idea that you can use . . .

Blessings and best wishes!