Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2008 4:53 PM by Lighthouse24

In over my head in frosting?

luvofcupcakes Newbie
      I am not new to starting a new business. My last business was an in-home daycare that I ran for 10 years. Well, I would love to start a new adventure but don't know where to even begin. I live in a small town called Kelso in the state of Washington. There are no longer any fresh bakeries in town, especially for custom cakes. I have a wonderful and fun idea on a small little shop, but do not know where to even begin. I have clients already and am over booked for my small home kitchen. It started with just my family and co-workers and it is snowballing fast. I don't know if I can bring this wonderful dream to reality, but I would like to see if it could ever happen for me and my town. So I was wondering if anyone can help with my specific need on opening a custom cake bakery. Am I just looking to be over my head in frosting or can I really do this someday?
        • Re: In over my head in frosting?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          In over my head in frosting, Welcome

I am a SCORE Counselor and would love to help you start your new adventure in bakery.
          SCORE is FREE and so am I (as a SCORE Counselor). I Live in N Y. SCORE is national.

SCORE and / or I can help you develop a Business and Marketing Plan that should
          include specific needs for opening a bakery.

You can contact me at " pdeig@juno.com " and please include your phone number.

Thanks, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            Welcome to the community. You're practically in the shadow of Mt St Helens, aren't you? The "small home kitchen" is probably the first obstacle you'll have to resolve, not just from a production perspective, but from a legal one, too. I think the State of Washington requires food prepared for consumer sale to be prepared in a facility that is licensed and permitted by the county. There are temporary permits (for people who prepare/sell food at fairs, shows, etc.), mobile permits (for people who prepare/sell food from trailers, carts, lunch wagons, etc.), and permanent permits which are issued to "food establishments." So you'll need a kitchen that meets your state and county code for a food establishment, and that provides the functionality you require. That's really the starting point to getting your head above the frosting, I think -- determine if there's a facility available for sale, lease, or even part-time use (some place like churches and wedding venues have licensed commercial kitchens on premises) -- and then determine if you can still make a profit with that additional overhead figured in. Best wishes.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                luvofcupcakes Newbie
                Yes...right at the base of the Mt. St. Helens is where I grew up - Castle Rock! So yes, I have had some struggle with the in home baking. I have stayed under the guidlines for the non advertising, family only and such, but now more people are seeing and hearing about my cakes and want more. I am looknig into all of this because I would like to do a bazaar soon. And yes you have to have all those type of permits and such. So if I have to go through all of this, why not talk to a local church and see what I can do. Dip my toes in the water before jumping in. Great idea ! Thanks alot, I fell better :)