Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 3:11 PM by vnavguys

Yahoo Store and Other Web Solutions Advice

MRRABBIT Wayfarer

I am planning on starting my own online store. I have been doing some research on website solutions but there are many options and companies out there. Can someone let me know their experiences with Yahoo Store solutions? Or can any one suggest other web solution company?

Thanks for your help..!
        • Re: Yahoo Store and Other Web Solutions Advice
          NatOnline Tracker
          It depends on your budget and the time you can work on your e-commerce basically.

Yahoo store is a good way to start, if you don't know anything about web programming, search engines optimization or web design.

Now if you want to run your e-commerce on your own, I will recommend http://ecommercetemplates.com/ it is how we made our site. You can find all kind of templates, they provide a nice system cart that you can update often for security or functions. You can customize your site with modules you can add on, when you need to

I am not programer and hired some developers to take care of what I need to upgrade on my e-commerce, they are plenty of companies willing to do that for their e-commerce system cart or templates. The key is reading a lot from experienced webmasters, try to sign up on a favorite webmasters forum, don't be afraid to ask questions, there is always someone able to help.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            John_6x6 Adventurer
            MRRABBIT,

One consideration is what type of payments will you be accepting on your website. As a website designer and developer, I've learned the importance in getting the right ecommerce system to work correctly with a payment gateway. They're not all the same, and many merchants learn the hard way (after they bought and setup their store) about payment integration and what they "shoulda-woulda-coulda" done. Whatever you get, make sure it is compatible with your payment gateway. If not, you could end up with huge developer fees getting it straightened out. I suggest looking for systems compatible with Authorize.net - one of the largest gateway providers. Avoid the temptation to use PayPal too. I'm sure plenty of others can expand on this topic alone.

Here's a link to Authorize.net's compatible shopping carts: http://www.authorize.net/certified_solution_directory.asp?page_id=38927&type_of_solution=22673. I also suggest going to htttp://www.merchantservices-help.com. This is not my site, but I'm sure you will find it to be quite educational.

Hope this helps a little.
              Emilyecho Wayfarer
              I recommend you fastcommerce.com, which i met in googlg one day, and I set up an online store with it. Three characteristics of this website:
              1. Ecommerce Shopping Cart Software as a Service: With Fastcommerce.com you get a complete ecommerce software and online shopping cart, but instead of downloading and paying for your shopping cart software, you can use it as a free service. Ours is the latest Web 2.0 ecommerce business model. Sign up and get your own webstore and shopping cart for free. We have all the tools to get your online website and webstore up and running right away. It is easy to set up and easy to use. With our Web 2.0 ecommerce webstore, you get a great online business system to let your grow your online retail business, and for free. Don't waste time with free trials.
              2. Free eCommerce, No Gimmicks: With FastCommerce.com, you get a free web-based ecommerce package that is free to set up and free to use. There are hundreds of free shopping carts and free trials, but only FastCommerce lets you set up your online webstore and live shopping cart and then use it for free to grow your online webstore business. You grow your business, get comfortable with our easy to use shopping cart software tools, but you use it as a free service. You decide when to take the next step. You can purchase the optional SSL certificate to secure your webstore , set up a payment gateway to accept credit cards online, or sign up for inexpensive online support.
              3. Free shopping cart software with a growing list of features: With FastCommerce Web 2.0 ecommerce storefront, you have all the tools you need to start and to run your online business, a free online presence, free hosting, online product catalog with featured and related products, live shopping cart, order management and customer contact management, inventory, shipping rate calculator for UPS and FedEx, auto-email responder for order and shipping confirmation, and more. With FastCommerce.com you can run most of your online business from a single system. Get started now and you can grow your online ecommerce business while we develop more tools to ensure your success.

These are its major characteristics of this websites, I hope you can benifit from it.

easyfreewebde Wayfarer
                Hello,

We can help take the headache out of trying to figure out how to build and design your store. We offer a FREE design services for business. We will build and design your website for FREE. Please see us at www.easyfreewebdesign.com. Your site will have a very easy to use backend admin panel that will allow you to easily add/edit products, customers, orders and much more. We offer the free design for business's only, and you must agree to host the website on our server. Hosting is only $19 per month and with that comes unlimited webmaster support.

Please visit our site our call me with any questions.

Thank you,
                Ed
                1-888-300-1691

Report as inappropriate
                  NuevolutionWD Wayfarer
                  MRRABBIT,
                  First of all let me give you some advise. Yes, there is lots of Company's and individuals out there claiming to give you an ecommerce solutions. Even pitch to you that they will take your head aches away... in reality are they really going to give you what they say they are? What ever you do? Do not go with Yahoo Ecommerce, It is very low scale and most of all you are limited to what you can edit. Going with any other solution like FastEcommerce, that I've never even heard of wouldn't be a good move.

Here is what you need if you want a scaleable, customizable, and upgradebale solution. I would suggest you use Zen Cart. Zen Cart is an Open Source Solution that is "Free" to install on your web server. The benefits about ZEN Cart is that all the Upgrades are free to you.
                  Please visit www.zencart.com and if you need help customizing it to your needs, I would be more than happy to help you. Here is one of the Shopping Carts that I modified using : ZEN CART... www.powerplusproducts.com and this is OSCOMMERCE Which is another robust shopping cart solution that you can customize to your needs.
                      MRRABBIT Wayfarer
                      NuevolutionWD - Thanks for the information. I will review the site you sent me. The process of learning about web solutions is becoming overwhelming. There are so many companies out there.
                          NuevolutionWD Wayfarer
                          Mr.Rabbit,
                          I would be more than happy to give you free consultation. You can call me direct at: 626 698-1833 or you can email me and I will call you.
                          The task of you launching an e-store shouldn't be overwhelming if you have someone that knows the ins and outs of E-commerce. That is our job... your job would be to launch your online store... there is no commitment, for your free consultation.
                          gregoryde Wayfarer
                          There are a lot of web
                          designers using FastCommerce as a e-commerce platform they can offer
                          their customers. Our service is free for the first fifty products, and
                          a mere 30 bucks for 2,000. What web designers are doing is going to
                          their customers, telling them about this low cost e-commerce platform
                          with a ton of tools to run an online business, and then selling their
                          services to get their clients up and running on FastCommerce. Go to the
                          home page and view the demo under "Webinar and events." it takes a
                          couple of minutes to load. But you will get a glimpse of how awesome
                          the free version is.

you should take a look at FastCommerce.com. You can offer this
                          e-commerce platform as a value added service. A free ecommerce service
                          for fifty products, or a low-cost ecommerce platform for 2,000 products
                          for $30 a month.
                          They are about to launch some awesome templates, and it is easy to
                          use. A professional web store with all the tools to build an online
                          business. And FREE for the first fifty products.
                          Make money selling your design talents and internet expertise using FastCommerce.
                          http://www.fastcommerce.com

NuevolutionWD Wayfarer
                              I don't get your sales pitch gregoryde,
                              Why would you make something free for the first 50 and then charge a customer $30.00 dollars? Is that with basic hosting?

Why not go with a Custom Shopping Cart Made specifically to him using an Open Source technology such as Zen Cart or OS COMMERCE...

These platforms offer Unlimited Product upload, Individual product Keyword and Description generator as well as a vast variety of attributes for someone to use.
                              Take a look at this customers web site, We just rolled it out the developer servers..www.automotivepartssuperstore.com , As you see the customer already learned how to change specials on the front page... The customer pays 9.99 for hosting and that's it.
                              If Mr. Rabbit wants a store that will hold unlimited products and payment gateways including Pay Pal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) Zen Cart or OS Commerce is the way to go...
                              I took a look at the Fast web Commerce.... and why would someone charge $4.95 for Google checkout? isn't google checkout free?
                              Also, I noticed lots of hidden fees.

MR. RABBIT.. go with an open source platform... it's in your best interest if you're planning on growing in the near future....
                                  gregoryde Wayfarer
                                  I can see that this is a bogus reply. Hidden charges? There is no charge for the basic PayPal. And there are no hidden charges. It is obvious why this is better that opensource. open source requires developers and expense. What you see with fastcommerce is a single system that is easy to use, and which enables the entrepreneur to focus on selling and marketing, not information technology, and wondering whether the server has been rebooted.
                                    gregoryde Wayfarer
                                    "lots of hidden fees? this is a bogus response. You can take the fastcommerce system, and it is completely free to run a store with up to fifty products. Sign up for a fantastic template, google analytics, and use the basic paypal for credit card payment, and it is completely free. FREE. No hidden charges.

Also, FastCommerce automatically submits your products to google shopping. No Charge.
                                        gregoryde Wayfarer
                                        http://www.fastcommerce.com. easy to set up, no servers needed, already hosted for free. You focus on selling and marketing. And selling.
                                            NuevolutionWD Wayfarer
                                            You made a good point.... With Open Source you need a developer.... Yes Indeed! I think that every business owner or business has its own Unique-ness, which is why having a custom web site designed for them is be best way to go... The least I need is to have a cookie cut template that 600 other people are using.

I personally hate site builders, free-templates, and free services... I believe that if a business owner can't invest 1500.00 on a web site? He shouldn't be running a business, he should be out looking for a JOB. This is my own opinion and my belief...

Now... you made another comment... NO SERVER?? Ok, so is my store going to looks something like this?
                                            http://www.fastcommerce.com/storeID/mystore?
                                            What happened to using the customers own domain? Dont you think that the customer wants to use his own domain name?
                                            What about SSL Certificate? What about having an Exclusive IP rather than shared? What happened to self service? the ability to log into his own web hosting account and adding emails for his workers?

donnat1978 Newbie
                                                The original poster asked about Yahoo. I will reply to what they asked.

Yahoo! is a leading third party e-commerce platform- there are many, many reasons why 6 out of 10 stores are Yahoo stores and why there are more Yahoo! stores on the Internet Retailer Top 500 list than any other third party hosted solution. The platform is so search-engine friendly and has an excellent content management system.... so, so many plusses.

Here is a link to more information on Yahoo! Small Businses: http://www.solidcactus.com/yahoo-store-web-design.html.

We offer solutions for any budget if you do decide to choose the Yahoo! platform. It is really reliable, there are tons of resources and of course, lots of support.

Best,
                                                Donna
                                      easyfreewebde Wayfarer
                                      Well the easiest way to build a website is to have a wesite designer do it for you, many business owners overlook this option because they don't have a big budget.

At Easy Free Web Design .com www.easyfreewebdesign.com , http://easyfreewebdesign.com we build custom, uniques, one of a kind professional websites for FREE

Can't beat free, saves you money, and headaches. We only provide this service to established business's who host thier website with us for $39.99/month.
                                        vnavguys Tracker
                                        Here is my response to your question. I would add that I am not going to try and sell you on anything nor try to recommend you use this or that. There is WAY to much of that. The problem is that most people think that what they use is the best because THEY use it. It just clouds the water. Here is the deal. If you are new to ecommerce, yahoo stores is an excellent start, and here is why. They have an excellent platform and you will learn a ton. You will be included in the yahoo search results as well. I would get a professional design made, and there are several vendors out there. If you want my recommendation, contact me. I have had a yahoo store for almost 4 years now. I also have 16 other websites, and have seen a smattering of everything. In my opinion, Zen cart is not the way to go. (its my opinion) You can do a lot with yahoo and I would look at it as a spring board. Somewhere down the line you will leave that platform and go with another provider, that all depends on your product line and your sales volume. There is no one size fits all rule that applies. You have to measure that for your site and your traffic and your sales, no one elses. Building a solid foundation, a good business plan, a great budget and a time management plan are the most important factors.
                                        Ken
                                          vnavguys Tracker
                                          Get an expert, go to internetbusinessnavigator and talk to a yahoo store coach. They know what to do, how to do it and how much to spend.