Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 9:53 PM by Frank_Dee

I want to start a brewery

Brew_Master Wayfarer
      I'm interested in making something I love; beer. That makes me sound like all I do is drink, but realy I'm a connoisseur of sorts. I love the different brews and malts, lagers and ales. The idea is to start and run my own brewery. The problem is, I have no Idea where to start.

This is a long term project because I can't take on the finacial investment at this point. So I wish to use the time I have before starting to prepare a sound business plan and assess startup and operational costs.

I need most help in the legal department. Does anyone know where I can find information on the permits/licensing requiered to run a brewery? Any good resources dedicated to operating a brewery?
        • Re: I want to start a brewery
          Bluesuit Adventurer

In terms of laws, states and local jurisdications each have their own zoning requirements and related policies. A simple call to the city planning or zoning department of the area you'd like to start a brewery would solve your question. Also, do you have any microbrewery companies in your area? Some of them are mixed in with restaurant establishments too. I would suggest reaching out to others that have started or currently run a brewery. You'll find that most people are more than happy to share their learnings. Cheers.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            The layers of regulations that apply are almost overwhelming, and your state has even more that are directed at craft and micro breweries (lobbied for and passed to protect the big brewer and major distributors that are headquartered there). As Bluesuit suggested, connecting with an existing micro or brewpub owner would give you insight and experience on all this. Also, this is a business that takes passion -- because, by law and by definition, it is probably never going to be able to "go big" and will never make the owner filthy rich. Consequently, most owners don't have sons and grandsons (or daughters/granddaughters) who want to learn and carry on the business -- so these come up for sale fairly often. Being able to buy out an owner you know and have worked with (and who knows you are as passionate about the business as he was when he started it) is likely to be a MUCH less expensive and a FAR less challenging option than licensing, building, and launching your own operation from scratch. Good luck!
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Brew_Master Wayfarer

Thank you both lighthouse and bluesuit.

I'm currently in the process of switching colleges and working full time between enrollments. I'm 20 and want a degree in business with a focus on accounting. I, sadly, don't know anyone in the feild of brewing. It is just the project I wish to develope and work at. First I need my education and also a degree to fall back on.

If the laws in Wisconsin are too terribly restrictive, perhaps I can move to Minnesota, I live 12 miles from the border.

Thanks again for your responses.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  You're welcome. Certainly your education and degree are a priority. Perhaps you can find a part-time job at a brewpub or even with a local distributor while you're in school. That would let you make some contacts early on and start building a resume of industry-specific experience (which will be helpful down the road when you seek lenders, investors, licenses, etc.). It's a relatively small club at that level, and one good thing can lead to another once you're working from within it. Good luck with your education and your business goals.
                  Mybizfiler Adventurer
                  Before starting a business you need to develop business plan and market research about your services which is most important. We at ICS would definitely help you developing a business plan and market research but it cost you minimum. After business plan you need to form business which is not that easy and ICS would help you in forming a business and provide complete end to end incorporation services at competitive pricing.

ICS (www.mybizfiler.com) can help you and your business offers a wide range of services typically offered by a Big 5 Accounting firm and a CPA firm in the U.S. ICS offers Incorporation, Book Keeping, Payroll Services, HR & Business Consulting etc.

You can reach Mr. Nirmal Jain (Senior Manager) at 469-713-2541 and can mail him @ nirmal.jain@mybizfiler.com, as he is very well experienced and has considerable knowledge in incorporation services.

For more information and details please visit ICS web site www.mybizfiler.com.

You can also visit our informational blog site: http://mybizfiler.wordpress.com/.
                  Disclaimer: ICS does not offer legal services or legal advice, but only generic information on legal subjects. ICS is not an attorney or law firm and not a substitute for an attorney or law firm
                    Frank_Dee Newbie
                    Hey Brew Master

I'm a student working on a business plan for a school project, maybe we can help eachother out. I hope you are still checking this fourm out.

Please make a post here and send an e-mail to thedeadman_911@hotmail.com <- I never check this e-mail but I dont want to post my actual e-mail address.

Cheers
                    Frank~