Post a new topic
    18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2008 1:26 PM by NatOnline

I should be working....

breakingout Newbie
      ...but I'm sitting in my office at my job that I've worked for last 6 years, reading these forums and dreaming of having my own bussiness. I make over six figures and doing fine financially but I have always envied and admire my friends that have their own businesses.

I need to make the jump but like everyone, taking that first step I think is the hardest part. I need encouragement. Help!
        • Re: I should be working....
          success31 Wayfarer
          I know how it is watching others do what you want to do and being successful at it and you don't know where to start. You have come to the right place they have encouraged me, motivated me and inspired me to press forward and follow my dreams. So follow your dreams.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Iwrite Pioneer
            Come on in the water is fine. Sure, sometimes you have to swim a little harder, but you'll get used to it. You'll be surprised how quickly you get adjust to being in this pool. Have fun and soak it all in.

Please, do what you love and love what you do. The happiest of us aren't chasing money, we're chasing what we love. When you do that, the money will come. And remember, there are plenty of us willing to provide advice. Come on in!!
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              So what's stopping you? Seriously, it sounds like that's an important question for you to ponder.

The thing that stops most intelligent people (which I assume you are) SHOULD stop them -- it's the good sense to know that a dream or even a very strong desire can only get you so far. Sure, the intense determination to be in business for oneself is PART of the formula, but it's not ALL you need to be successful by a long shot. Identifying and acquiring whatever else is necessary to launch and run a satisfying and profitable enterprise is the next step (or next several steps) -- and if you can take those steps while living off a six-figure income, you'll probably be in a better position than you would if you quit your job tomorrow, launched a business, and try to figure things out on the fly. There are lots of "Indiana Jones" business owners out there who did that ("What plan? I'm just making this up as I go!") -- but not too many who survive for very long.

Let us (the community) know how we can help you. Good luck!
                golfheaven Adventurer
                I am reminded of T.S. Elliot the poet once said " ONLY THOSE WHO RISK GOING TO FAR, CAN FIND OUT HOW FAR ONE CAN GO" I hope this brightens your day
                  Milleisen Scout
                  Breakingout - the dream of working for myself was something that inspired me as well. Since it was a dream, I didn't anticipate all the BAD stuff that comes along with it...longer hours, nights, weekends, unexpected costs, cranky customers, inevitable mistakes that equate to flushing money down the toilet, and on and on we go.

Before you get into the sandwich business, you of course needs to do a little homework (insert standard business plan comment here). For me, the most important part of the plan was an exit strategy if the business did not work. I was prepared to lose a certain amount of money, but not enough to cripple me financially. As it turned out, the business did fail and I was happy that I had already thought about where and when I would draw the line. It took a lot of the emotion out of admitting defeat, but saved me from the common mistake of holding on too long.
                    jetpropelled Wayfarer
                    what would youlike to do? what are your interests? do you like sports? are you interested in helping people get well? email me if you like, I am starting a business and would like an enthusiastic partner
                      piggybank Wayfarer
                      Honestly, take the time to look at failures, that always helps me. I don't mean the failures that are still failures, I'm talking about the successful business and the failures that made the sucessful. You can measure a business by it failures very very accurately in my opinion. Failures will come and go but you'll have to make sure you do what is best to keep the business successful in the end.

I've got a business I'm starting but I've avoided many many mistakes by learning from others' mistakes.

If you'd like to know about my venture let me know :D

God Bless and I wish you well!

Tony
                        Iwrite Pioneer
                        I stand by my encouragement!

Look, opening a business isn't easy.
                        You said you've watched friends, so you have seen the struggle. You know it isn't easy.
                        You mentioned creating a business plan so you are giving this some serious thought.
                        You stated that you've been thinking about it but have been slow to pull the trigger - which means you aren't going to just up and quit your job.

What some of us (current small business owners) seem to forget is that feeling of being beaten down daily from working a job that does not satisfy you or a boss you can't stand or doing work you don't believe in. The feeling that you are not appreciated or that there has to be more that you can be doing. We don't think about having to deal with situations in a way totally opposite to the way we would do it?

We're so busy running our businesses that we have lost touch with that feeling of total freedom, of being our own boss. Now, it's all a memory. Yeah, reality has taken a lot of that away but most of us would not go back to working for someone except as a last option. I would not trade my current cares and concerns for the ones I had working for others - I wouldn't. Is the journey easy? NO!!! But it has been worth every minute.

Some of us need to lighten up. If owning your own is so bad, why are you still going it on your own? Because the alternative is worse.

Let this person dream.
                          DMIGUY Adventurer

"If a man can conceive it, a man can achieve it"...... yada, yada, yada!

If all you need is some positive affirmation, get some of Tony Robbins stuff and you're on your way. But you've been hesitant to give up a well paying job, and especially in this economy, rightfully so. But you don't have to give up your job to get started on your dream.

Without question, there are others in the same situation as you. Perhaps you know of some? If not, you should get to know some. Local forums, events, gatherings, business get-togethers, community functions ... all great places to connect. Then put your minds together and do something together. Yes, you'll have to split the profits, but of course, you split the downside if any as well. Remember that partnerships are like marriages and you need to be certain of whom you hook up with, but a good business plan and a better attorney will have you on your way.

Best of Luck.
                              breakingout Newbie
                              Affirmation, ala Tony Robbins, is probably not what I'm looking for. I get that on a daily basis dealing with some of the characters at my work place but we won't go into that. I think it's
                              obvious that I'm motivated. Iwrite hit it on the nail. From an outsider's view of my friends and those who have businesses, you all seem to be very very busy running your businesses and it's the most demanding thing you've ever done but looking at your faces and the satisfaction I see, it's what's different from those working 9 to 5 jobs. I know you wouldn't want trade positions with me.

I appreciate all advices and experiences, failures as well as successes. I'm an engineer so by nature I'm probably going focus on the potential failures and hope to avoid them. I expect I'll make mistakes along the way, hopefully I can learn from your experiences to not make the catastrophic ones.

This community is exactly what I'm looking for, a support system to educate those in my situation and give us confidence to take the next step. Thank you! I will keep you all posted of my progress..
                              jetpropelled Wayfarer
                              does it have to be a sandwich shop?
                                Junk.Away Newbie
                                I know you have ask for encouragement but if your making six figures and you plan on opening a sandwich shop your going to be making more like 25,000 for the first 5 to 8 years with no guarantee of ever seeing six figures again. I have been in business for 9 years and I must say i can't even imagine giving up my freedom and going back to work for someone else. That said I'm not making six figures yet but I wouldn't trade my freedom for any amount of money. So if your more motivated by being in control of your own life than making money, Jump Right In! Just tryin to keep it real! Good Luck
                                    NatOnline Tracker

Exactly, good post Junk.Away !

Freedom is the main reason I started my own business not only the e-commerce I am running, but before with my graphic design firm.
                                    You have to be realistic that you will not make huge money from the beginning of your venture but the motivation will be much more important than if you work for someone else.

Breakingout, it is nice to have a project, study the market well, make a business plan, ask many as questions as you may have in this forum, meet professionals in your field and start when you are ready to jump into your dreams.