Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 3:04 AM by whirlwind3

holiday party

whirlwind3 Wayfarer
      I have a small medical office (5 employees) formerly a part of a much larger operation of over 25 employees, not counting the managerial staff. Our holiday parties were always something to look forward to, thanks in part by participation of all involved. We're coming up to a our first holiday season flying solo. We have great staff morale but I can sense the hesitation in planning for a year-end celebration.

How do I keep the all the fun, although downscaled on staff, and not be outdone by our predecessors??
        • Re: holiday party
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Holiday Party, Welcome

How do I keep the all the fun, although downscaled on staff??
          First you start by tell us more. Where you are located??
          What **ha*s prior holiday parties been like?? Do you have a budget??*

Have you looked in the Yellow Pages and / or spoken to a Party Planner??

And finally why are you worried about your predecessors?? If you have a great staff,
          they should be able to pull off a success. The whole idea of a party is to have fun.

Am I invited?? LUCKIEST
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

My suggestion is that you do something completely different in every way. Larger groups are less inhibited, and it's almost impossible to create that same atmosphere with a smaller group (plus it "sets up" this year's party for a comparison with previous years, and it sounds like it may be hard to measure up). On the other hand, smaller groups make it easier and less costly to find and plan something unforgettable that celebrates and shows appreciation in a totally new and unique (to this group) way.

One suggestion is to look for something in your locale that your staff would enjoy, but probably not do because it's too much expense or trouble. For instance, one year the Trans-Siberian Orchestra was making a holiday season appearance in a city where I have a small office, and symphony season ticket holders got to buy tickets first -- making it was almost impossible for anyone else to get them. I got them though a client contact, and 4 staffers plus spouses/guests met for dinner and then the concert. It was a real treat. Another year, we booked an open "hayride" type trailer to take staff and families through the big holiday lights display (which usually involves a couple of hours of traffic just to get in, so a lot of people don't bother). On the trailer we had food, drinks, street performers, games, (and two port-a-johns -- essential!). The trip from the office to the park, and then waiting in the line of traffic to get in the park, was actually a blast! (By the way, something public like that can also double as a great recruiting or advertising tool.)

Big parties are great, but small groups let you plan experiences that you couldn't with larger numbers. Hope that helps to stimulate some ideas for your office. Welcome to the community and best wishes.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              whirlwind3 Wayfarer

You know, the biggest concern so far is how we're going to do a "secret santa" and keep the "secret" secret, or a white elephant gift exchange with so few of us... luckily in Phoenix, we have access to a lot of great restaurants and other locales downtown...
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  holiday party

Sometimes people spend more times planning parties than planning

their work schedule. Just call me Scrooge
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Luckiest, in my leadership seminars, the next-to-last topic I cover is the importance of fun in the workplace. Your point (I'm guessing) is not that companies shouldn't plan celebrations and recognition events, but rather that they need to put greater effort into the planning the actual work they do (to ensure that they HAVE something to celebrate and recognize). Although Dickens' story essentially ended on Christmas Day, my belief is that Scrooge was a much better boss the following year, but STILL a good businessman.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          Lighthouse, I am glad that you are leading the seminars and not me. You have a much better way with words.

Do you give there seminars in person and also online??

Too soon to start saying Happy Holiday. First there is Halloween and then Thanksgiving.

LUCKIEST
                              Lighthouse24 Ranger
                              Whirlwind3, sorry to steer your thread off-topic, but to answer Luckiest's question . . . I conduct both a live seminar series and a blended learning series (that involves self-study and on-line modules, with an optional live workshop for practical application). Some people prefer to see and hear the underlying concepts in person and enjoy getting away from work for a few days, while others prefer to just read the concepts for themselves and complete the program on their schedule. I agree, it's too early to SAY Happy Holiday, but not to PLAN for one -- in fact, for a business it's almost too late (except for small, non-retail enterprises like this).
                                whirlwind3 Wayfarer
                                Halloween and Thanksgiving are quite easy. The holiday season is always special and ends the year with a nice touch. Thus, the extra time is definitely needed. Usually, I start planning for the last quarter in late Aug or September when not much is going on, holiday- or vacation-wise. Those months go fast!! We are planning on halloween costume ideas and have already planned out the holiday office closure schedule in advance so that staff can plan out their holiday plans in advance. Besides, appts book up quickly so it's easier to close the books early rather than call patients to reschedule appts after the fact...
                          iventures Adventurer
                          Are you planning on giving gifts? If yes browse through our profile. Have a great party!!!!!! Thanks