Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 7:16 AM by johnson9

Yahoo search engine ranking pages

NatOnline Tracker

Have noticed that Yahoo is providing a more stable search engine page rank results then Google recently?

Thank you
        • Re: Yahoo search engine ranking pages
          Yahoo does not use page rank like google does. Where google has a system of deciding which sites are more relevant based on their page rank, yahoo does not do that and is more focused on the content directly.

This makes yahoo easier to get listed in because you only have to have pages that make sense and do not have to meet a criteria like the age of the site or the number of sites linking to it.

Yahoo also has much more real traffic than google. While the average user on google is 1/2 the age of the average yahoo user yahoo is also the search with the most buyers. Google is good for kids, video and blogs. But yahoo is used by more people that are looking to buy products or services.

One reason is the loyal userbase they have. Another is that google is flooded with useless blogs by kids and MFA (made for adsense) sites with nothing more than more google ads.
              NatOnline Tracker
              I know Bob that Google doesn't rank like Yahoo. I disagree with you that Yahoo focus more on contents than Google, if you check Yahoo you will find a lot of spam sites ranking #1 with no contents.

Perhaps it is easier to get listed on Yahoo, I mean this is the #2 search engine on internet. I like Yahoo but it doesn't bring the quantity of Google visitors or customers. Their search results are pretty stable compared to Google and I am sure there is a reason for that.

I don't think there is either a fake or reel traffic, it is just traffic. I don't believe there is more buyers from Yahoo than Google, I will say Google bring me more customers than Yahoo. It depends if you are listed on Yahoo shopping, it really doesn't matter for me, customers are come from Google, Yahoo and MSN.

I am sure there is a loyal Yahoo underbase, they were the most popular search engine 10 years ago, and I see they are in better shape recently.
                  I did not mean that google was fake traffic, just that google is younger traffic. While google might have millions of visitors daily searching for Britney Spears over and over again. The older people at Yahoo might be searching for a plumber or an electrician or a product to buy.

Google has a youth base searching for mpgs and software downloads while Yahoo has more people searching for less but more quality.

If you run a warez site, google will get you the traffic you want. And of course google has plenty of quality traffic. But they have a huge majority of people that will never buy anything or build your e-commerce online.

You don't have to take my word for it. Look at google trends and see for yourself.

When Britney Spears is the number 1 search term for 6 years, that should tell you alot about the users.
                      NatOnline Tracker

Hello Bob,

If Britney Spears is number 1 on Google for 6 years that's good for her.

As you may know it is very difficult to make your own site and rank well on all search engines, because they have their own algorithms which mean the results will be different.

For example you can have some very nice contents, nice products and quality backlinks but if the search engines detect that you have poor traffic or none, your site will not rank well.

So traffic is pretty important and can help you to be on top ten. Now it is the job of the site owner to convert visitors into customers, depending of your abilities or budget.

You can see by yourself on Yahoo, sites like become, nextag, drugstore, etc... are marketing sites ranking number 1, are they quality sites? Do you think their contents are top quality? I don't think so, but they are number 1 on a bunch of keywords.

If you want my opinion they are nothing more than link farms/paid links.
                  websolutions Tracker
                  Nat, I was also confused with the "Page Rank" question but all in all this is a good discussion. One thing you want to keep in mind is that Google owns 80% of the market so basically 80% of search engine users use Google and nothing else, the other 20 use Yahoo, MSN, AltaVista, Ask, etc.

Now, there is traffic that only comes for information (people, bots, etc.) and there is traffic that comes to purchase products. This is where you site comes into play and you as a site owner need to know how to optimize it so that your visitors purchase from you and not the competitors.

Yes, quality of traffic is vital, because google looks at the bouncerate as another data point and if it is high it rates your site accordingly. Now, Google works this way today, no one knows how it will work tomorrow as they update their algos every 2 to 3 months.

As far as yahoo goes, I think in my case, I have seen more orders come through google than yahoo in my 8 year experience - I have done a lot of A/B and MV testing and have seen lots of stats and conversion data.

Anyway, hope this is clear.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      NatOnline Tracker
                      Web, it doesn't bother me that Google owns 80% of the market. They are very good and smart to be the number 1 search engine.

Now for small business owners like me, it is critical to rank high for our 200 pages or so, otherwise we don't sell at all.

After more than 3 years running our e-commerce I am pretty good at SEO, but I am not a Guru. The difficult part is not optimization, it is to know the potential of your site.

I can optimize my e-commerce for a hyper competitive keyword like skin care for example, do you really think my site is capable of ranking in the top 10?
                      No, I don't want my site ranking on page number 50. What I am trying to say is that you must know what your site can accomplish, and how the search engines categorize your site with their algos, which is not necessarily what you want it to be categorized. You can always try to favor what you want your site to be, you will never know what the results will be on the search engine targeted.

Customers come most of the time from search engines such as Google, yahoo, MSN. There is no secret that without search engines it would be difficult to sell on internet.
                      johnson9 Newbie
                      Google has a different implementation with Yahoo. Focusing your technique on how to rank your site in Google will not assure you of the same ranking in Yahoo. There is no doubt to it since these are two giant moguls in the industry. Ranking your site on different search engines require some combination of SEO technique.