This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 4:05 PM by wendywendy38 RSS

starting an at home medical billing and coding business

tweeknjeep Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I am in the early tages of planning a medical billing and coding business from my home. I am a certified medical coder and have 5+ years of medical billing under my belt and am tired of working for just one office, I am wondering the best place to get started and what steps should be taken in efforts of starting a business plan? Also, if I have ppor credit personally, could this effect my business getting off on the right leg?
  • Re: starting an at home medical billing and coding business
    Mybizfiler Novice

Hi,

Starting your own business is a complete different experience. You can definitely start your own business and be your own boss. With the years of experience you carry coupled with your certification is the perfect requirement to start your business. Preparing a Business Plan is not that simple. It should cover various important things like Cash Flow Analysis for next 3 years, Administrative Task Lists, Insurance Requirements, etc. At ICS, Inc. (http://www.mybizfiler.com/) we offer preparation of detailed Business Plan at reasonable costs.

The first and foremost requirement is to incorporate your business, the next question that comes to your mind is where to incorporate. The first and simple choice would be to incorporate in your home state. We at ICS, Inc, help you to incorporate your business and provide complete incorporation services.

At ICS (www.mybizfiler.com), we, at a very competitive price (1/4th of charges a typical CPA charges) take care of your complete Incorporation Services.

You can reach Mr. Nirmal Jain (Senior Manager) at 469-713-2541 and can mail him @ nirmal.jain@mybizfiler.com, as he is very well experienced and has considerable knowledge in incorporation services.

For more information and details please visit ICS web site http://www.mybizfiler.com/.

You can also visit our informational blog site: http://mybizfiler.wordpress.com/.

Best Regards,

MyBizfiler
    LUCKIEST Master
    *Starting an at home medical billing and coding business, Welcome Kimberly*

If I was planning to start a business from home, I would do the following
    Choose a Business Name, Register the Business Name and get a Federal I D Number.
    Develop a Business and marketing Plan, Get an Accountant and a Lawyer and
    maybe an Insurance Agent.

I would also talk to SCORE. SCORE is FREE and can help you succeed.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
      tweeknjeep Newbie
      thank you for your assistance, and I have done the first portion, came up with the name, have recieved my business license, and UBI number. My next step is to start my business plan, which to me seems the most difficult since I will be the only employee for the time being. My senior concern is the start up money, for the software, advertising, and supplies. I have estimated that it would be about 1500.00, which to most would not be alot to come up with but I am very weary of taking it from our savings. I have printed the recommended reading from the SCORE website, but they have so many applications and services for people to go to its very overwhelming, my credit is not good and I worry abount no one lending me even the small amount I am needing. Any advice?
        bigcloudmedia Novice
        I would suggest taking it one step at a time. If you prioritize what you need to get done and how you need to do it, based on what you recieved from SCORE, you should be able to get through the cloud of info.

I found myself having the same problem but once i sat down and wrote out what i needed to do, it helped immensly. Taking it step by step will reduce your work load at one time and also reduce your stress level. Less stress is always good.

If you would like I can help you go over this step by step and try to help you break down the info into more manageable pieces. Please let me know if you want me to help you one on one.

You can reach me at kflowers@bigcloudmedia.com or through my website at www.bigcloudmedia.com.

I hope my post is benificial. Have a great day.

Koji Flowers
        Big Cloud Media
        www.bigcloudmedia.com
        "Websites...we do those."
    ceolionel Newbie
    Thats a great plan. Do your due-diligence. BusinessPlanPro.com is a good place to start. Great software. I am in the prosess of doing the same.
    1st, figure out what are you want to specialize in or do you want to be a general biller and not limit yourself to a specialty. 2nd, Get the best software available for your budget. All this of course after you incorporate and get your business license. Learn the software. Purchace and build website. There are cost efficient websites. Devise marketing plan. Then go get'em.
      YesYouCan Apprentice
      Good answers from both Koji and Luckiest.

Based on what I know about the competition in your chosen business, I would concentrate on your MARKETING Plan. Do you have a potential client list? If not are you going to focus on one medical or dental specialty (market niche) which may be easier for a start-up business? How are you going to reach your potential clients? What will it cost to market the service?

This type is service is heavily advertised (hyped) on the internet as a home business. Porblem is they sell you the software - and maybe some instructions - and then leave you to market your services to whoever. Very few of the people who try to start this type of business ever make any money and most lose their investment.

Your situation seems different, you have the background and experience. If the market is there, and your cost is competitive, there is no reason you can not succeed but I would do a marketing plan very early in the game - and then work it into cost analysis and part of your over-all business Plan.

Luckiest and SCORE can help. If you want to try a download fill in the blanks type marketing plan, Marketing Plan Pro, by PaloAlto Software is a pretty good one - but try SCORE for free help first.

Good luck!
        wendywendy38 Newbie
        I agree that this is a tough business to get into. But there are actually some softwares that would be extremely helpful in this situation, especially if you're wanting to get into dental. There are new web-based dental software that make it extremely simple and convenient for dental billing and office maintanance. I would recommend Curve Hero by URL=http://www.curvedental.comCurve Dental[/URL], it's the one our office uses and it is great.
        <!--Session data-->
        wendywendy38 Newbie
        I agree that this can be a very tough business to get into, but there are actually software that can be of great use in this particular situation, especially if you're getting into detnal billing. There is a new web-based dental software that is very convenient and simple to use. My office uses Curve Hero by URL=http://www.curvedental.comCurve Dental[/URL] and we really love it.<!--Session data-->
        wendywendy38 Newbie
        I agree that this can be a very tough business to get into, but there
        are actually software that can be of great use in this particular
        situation, especially if you're getting into detnal billing. There is a
        new web-based dental software that is very convenient and simple to
        use. My office uses Curve Hero by URL=http://www.curvedental.comCurve
        Dental[/URL] and we really love it.<!--Session data-->

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend