Post a new topic
    20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 10:49 PM by Annetravel

Is Myspace or Facebook worth the time - marketing wise?

BRMcHenry Adventurer
      First I tried to get one of the "kids" in our business to take it on as a project, but none would. Now I have to wonder is spending time developing a "My Space" and or "Facebook" web site worth it marketing wise for my retail food service business (ice cream shop - Baskin Robbins)? I was thinking it would be "fun" to get other businesses connected online in this manner, but don't know if the time and energy is worth it?
        • Re: Is Myspace or Facebook worth the time - marketing wise?
          CoolHandMatt Wayfarer
          Its no doubt tough! And time consuming for that matter. Especially if you business is not specifically marketable on myspace. I run a Website that promotes local music for free. Its a website where they can post flyers for all to see and get people to their gigs and such. As inviting as that should sound to a small band who is looking for free advertising its difficult to get anyone to take a look at your site. Spammers have over run and desensitized most people to checking out any site. Not to mention that Myspace makes it difficult to send communications to other members for the same reason. the force you to solve an overly complicated (im my opinion) Captcha to send any message to anyone. then on top of that if anyone reports you as a spammer, which is likely. MySpace will at the drop of a hat delete your account. So I would say be careful and conservative when thinking about using MySpace as a marketing tool.

However if you are looking to do it I am dabbling in designing MySpace profiles. Take a look at my personal page and let me know what you think.

www.myspace.com/allaboutgq

Oh and if you want to check out my site its www.CatchaClue.net

Thanks again
          Matt
            MistroMillion Newbie

i love facebook. i'm on it now. the problem is that the advertising isn't that appealing, with small advertisments off to the side of an individuals web page.
              JVCruz Adventurer
              Creating a MySpace or Facebook page for your site would be okay for leisure. Don't expect too much in the form of bringing in sales. Remember, it's a social network. If your business cannot offer something for the masses to recieve (i.e. electronic downloads, pics, emoticons, etc.), then there really isn't much worth going to your page. Now, if you create a Group on MySpace specifically geared to an audience in your area, then you might generate a few customers. But still keep in mind - what will your group's purpose be? Why would people join your group?

Essentially, I don't think marketing on MySpace or Facebook for your specific business will be beneficial. You should target your local market and see about other avenues (i.e. sponsor a high game, host a "Social", etc.) of marketing.

JV Cruz
                  Iwrite Pioneer
                  JV Cruz makes some great points. Social networks have been difficult to navigate for businesses. The key is what are you looking to get from the site? Awareness is always good but there are better ways to create it. There are:

1. Tasting clubs - invite people to become part of a test group with special privileges for coming out and tasting new flavors
                  2. Contests - Best Milkshakes, Best Sundaes, eating contests, Best unexpected mixes. Invite patrons to be judges.
                  3. Family nights - pick a night where you offer a great deal
                  4. School booster programs
                  5. Cooking classes - how to make ice cream and other frozen desserts for parties
                  6. Random acts of kindness - create a campaign to encourage people to do random acts of kindness

The list is only limited by what you would find interesting to do. Ask your employees what they are interested in. Talk to your customers.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

Marketing a "traditional" business via social networks only seems to pay off big when a product (or person associated with the product) goes unexpectedly viral -- i.e., everybody is suddenly talking about him/her/it, yet no one anticipated that happening. Otherwise (as other members noted above), it generally doesn't have a sales impact that's worth your time. If you were active on those site anyway, I might say, "Why not? Give it a shot." But if you'd be investing the time and energy just in hopes of a sales benefit, I think you'd be disappointed.

Best wishes.
                    caffeinated Scout

I love Facebook and am fully addicted to it. But I'd have to agree with the other members that posted here. Its ok for leisure, connecting with friends from high school and college, but not for retail food services like you and me. I mean what good is getting someone to view my "business" page if they live across the continent?

I have pictures of my shop on my personal page along with the address, hours and phone number for all my "friends" that live locally.

Has anyone tried the Visa application on Facebook? Its basically a glorified yellow pages with a few added bells and whistles. Its almost like a social network buried in another social network...USELESS. The only reason I added the application was to get the $100 in free advertising voucher. Which I still haven't used cause I don't see the point.

Good luck BRMcHenry!
                      DMIGUY Adventurer
                      If you're customers aren't coming to you, you're smart to go to them.

But your primary customer is a Baby Boomer, don't waste your time. It's far more likely your store is most frequented by Gen Xers and Gen Yers, and they're consumed with those sites.

If you're gonna venture into MySpace territory, and I believe you absolutely should, you've gotta research where everyone goes, and why they seem to go there.

The difficulty will be how to engage them, without advertising to them. Whether that means contests, sponsoring local events, or coming up with unique products, I'm not sure. I'm not a marketing guru. I'm simply someone with a 17 year old and a 10 year old in the house that live and breathe MySpace. As do their friends, their relatives, and every one of my friends kids.

In that light, I would say you were absolutely right to seek out the "kids" input to build the space, but hey, where's the fun in that for him/her? Find out how to make it something they'll want to get involved in, be interested in, and you'll likely have some idea of how to make your store more interesting to their peers as well.

Good Luck ....
                          Annetravel Newbie
                          I have been on Facebook for about 6 months and started on my space. So far nothing has been coming through facebook. Also I write articles about my travel Business on squidoo.com and just wrote a press release on PRweb. I advertise on Yahoo marketing but not much, just a few emails with questions , I email back but do not hear back from them. I still send my newsletter. I have a few clients who have sent me some referrals. Annetravel.
                          The faltering economy makes it difficult!...
                          Annetravel
                          AntonyR Newbie
                          Both can be a very valuable tool. you need to build your page and brand it as much as you can with he tools you have in place. You can purchase a friend adder if you like but risk the chance of getting locked. I would friend key people and offer special deals for MySpace and Facebook friends only. When you incentivize it, you have added value. This is a slow growth opportunity, nothing that happens over night.

We have seen some great campaigns with MS and FB, you need to have the brand loyalty in place though.

Antony
                            showagent Newbie

I think spending hours creating a page might not be worth the time, but...the time you spend in finding and posting to groups that fit your business, I believe is time well spent. Just build a basic page in 10 min., that will get the job done.

Showagent
                            www.pinkbriefcaseclub.com
                              cpunlimited Newbie
                              I use myspace to put the word out and to inform my network of friends and family of upcoming events. use a link to your business website, so you do not have to keep checking myspace for any FAQ. I use links on myspace to my main website so the brouser can really see what is going on with my business and secure their business.
                                LauranChilds Newbie
                                My experience (www.myspace.com/miamiarts) is that it's worth putting up an initial page in Myspace and that can lead to sales and opportunities - I was asked to sell (my art) in a Santa Monica gallery, and have been asked to numerous events. I have to say I haven't tended to follow them up, but I'm sure some of them would have been good.

However I do think it's very time and energy consuming to go search for 'Friends' on Myspace, but people do tend to do that to you anyway. Good luck!

Lauran Childs
                                www.MiamiArt.biz
                                  Vince Adventurer

Hi BRMcHenry,

The SBOC is hosting an event on the September 22nd and are pooling questions in advance. You could ask the expert from LinkedIn if its worth it as well as some best practices.

Event: LinkedIn -Social networking can drive sales

Vince
                                    beatitudes Wayfarer
                                    I've had my original Art By Beatrice advertised on Myspace, Facebook, & Twitter for some time now and have yet to make a dollar from it. I even hand out business cards advertising the sites. It's the only FREE way to advertise I've come acrost though.

Where is your ice cream shop? We used to have a Baskin and Robbins here (Iowa City, Iowa) but it closed years ago. Do you still have those cute little pink sample spoons? Love those!

I'd say you should definitely take the time to build your Myspace, Facebook, & Twitter. The more you're out there the better!

beatitudes (~Art By Beatrice~)
                                      Andre_TxtMktr Newbie
                                      It is worth the time if you spend enough time on the computer. But to jump on and jump off it's not worth it. You are better off hiring someone to do it for you.

I think Mobile Marketing is the best use of your time. Mobile Marketing goes straight to the consumers cell phones. This is an offline lead capture system similar to online lead capture websites.

For details

text Andre 53203

or go to http://www.bizcallingcards.com/andre
                                        Yogeshsav Newbie

BRMcHenry

Can you please inform your mail id please. Read my profile.
                                          glorycrystal Newbie
                                          I think worth doing that, cos you can show your products there and attract people's attention then.