Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 1:09 AM by webmasters

My top 10 (free) ways to increase traffic to a website

SEOpro Adventurer
      I was talking to an editor of Entrepreneur Magazine a few days ago. She was asking me about a book I wrote on the subject of web traffic, and wanted to know my "top ten free things" a website owner could do to drive traffic to it.
      "I can give you 55" I said.
      "I only want 10, Liam, so give me the best ten".

And I thought I would share them with you:
      1. Make sure the title of each page includes the most likely search words used by the person searching for what you do. That is stored in what is called the Title Tag in the html of the page. So, instead of "Welcome to Acme Corp" in your home page title, you should have "Knitting and sewing supplies by Acme Corp".
      2. Use keywords in page names and directories.
        So, instead of /webpages/page300.html, how about /threads-and-needles/sewing-kit-beginner.html. This give the search engine more clues about what is on the page and will improve your position when those words are used in search.
      3. The page description should give strong and accurate clues about what is on the page. It is what is displayed in search results and visitors read that to see if the listed page might be what they are looking for. Only the first 150 characters approx are displayed, so keep it brief. Example "This no-nonsense sewing kit is portable and makes an ideal holiday gift for under $20". See how it says so much about the product. This helps visitors learn about your stuff before they even visit your site, and will help them click your link and visit.
      4. For every image used on your site, make sure each has an "Alternate Text" associated with it. For example, you might have a picture of the sewing kit, so in the alt text for that image, type "portable sewing kit by Acme Corp". This increases the chance that your image will appear in searches for images, and that from time to time leads to people coming to see what else you have on your website.
      5. Create the occasional valuable posting on other blogs or discussion boards -- with a link back to your site. For example, if you sell knitting and sewing supplies, set aside some of your trade wisdom and offer it to memembers of online communities who are interested in the subject. (This posting is an example). The thing to remember is that you must offer value to the readers in the posting itself.
      6. Add content to your website, every day if possible. As search engines realize your information is growing and changing, your search results position improves.
      7. Make the title tag of each page on your website different. Usually, a company only needs a single page to appear on page one of search results, so each page might catch different search words. Example: one page might have the title "portable sewing kit" and another might have "portable knitting kit".
      8. Keep keywords at the beginning of the title tag. For example: "portable sewing kits by Acme Corp" is better than "Acme Corp protable sewing kits". (Unless you consider your company name to be a keyword -- which is unlikely).
      9. Use the H1, H2 and H3 tags to make header rows on the page stand out, use important keywords in those header rows.
      10. Make keywords in your page bold. Search engines count bold fonts as important words and give them more weight than other words on the page.
      There are 55, but the above are the most important 10. The others are in the book: