Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 10:59 AM by Lighthouse24

Is Major Anxiety Part Of The New Business Process?

AutismSmile Wayfarer
      I have planned and studied for a long time on starting my business. Now that I am ready to advertise, bring in clients, I have been hit with this paralyzing feeling of fear of failure. This site is wonderful. I am glad I found it. Please give me some expert advice on confidence in starting out.
      AutismSmiles
        • Re: Is Major Anxiety Part Of The New Business Process?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Is Major Anxiety Part Of The New Business Process, NO

Starting a new business is exciting. You should have a Business Name,

Register the name with the IRS and contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE

SCORE can help you develop a Business Plan.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            lalithabrahma Adventurer
            I would say more than Fear of failure, Fear of success and fear of unknown can affect you in the beginning. One may have enough knowledge, but may not be emotionally ready to take action. As a business owner every day we need to make decisions using head and heart. I personally found emotional freedom technique and Simpleology very helpful. You might want to read about these and practice them.
            Lalitha

Do you want to let go off your Regular Paycheck barrier and explore the ENTREPRENEUR in YOU? Go ahead and sign up for bi monthly newsletter at www.elbeeservicesllc.com
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

What's the very worst combination of things that could go wrong? If they all happened at once, could you survive and recover?

If not, you've identified where you need to build some contingency plans or "safety nets" into your business operation and lifestyle strategies.

If so, you're in good shape, because it's unlikely that everything will go wrong all at once.

That said, something will go wrong most of the time -- so rather than fearing it, expect it. Embrace it if you can. Every problem will teach you a lesson that you need to know to move to the next level of success in your business. If you don't learn the lesson (or if you keep trying to avoid the problem, and therefore never get the lesson it would have provided), you'll never reach your fullest potential.

One of my all time favorite movie lines is from Zorba the Greek. When the newly-arrived Englishmen tells his new friend, "I don't want any trouble," Zorba replies, "Life IS trouble, only death is not. To be alive is to undo your belt and LOOK for trouble."

Hope that helps. Best wishes in your business.
                amspcs Ranger
                Please listen to me really well. You are talking to someone who was running multiple businesses at the same time 22 years ago and had a heart attach at age 38. Not a biggie and I recovered just fine thankfully.
                But heed my advise: Ruining your health due to anxiety (hypertension if you will) is NOT necessary and NOT worth the price. If you are feeling anxious, learn to deal with it. Talk to friends. Professionals. Groups. Whatever it takes. There are ways to deal with anxiety. LEARN ABOUT THEM NOW before it's too late.

About business failure: There are reasons that businesses fail. All the usual suspects: Undercapitalization, lack of knowledge and preparation, dumb silly mistakes, and so on. The trick to success: Avoid these mistakes. Sounds easy, and it really is if you approach your business prep this way:

Do your homework. know what you are doing. If you don't, then consult professionals who do know, such as bankers, lawyers, CPA's etc. These are your choices. The choice you don't want to make is diving in with your head up your you-know-what, which is one of the silly common mistakes mentioned above. Most of the businesses that fail are a direct result of poeple who don't know what they're doing, and are too dumb or lazy or both to either make the effort to learn what they're doing, or consult somebody else who does. I work with businesses every day, and I see many people of this type, very sad. It's called 'due diligence'. It doesn't guarantee success, but it sure puts the odds in your favor.

Good luck.

AMSPCS
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

It appears that everyone who responded in this thread so far makes his/her living as a business consultant, and having re-read all the posts, I don't see any suggestion of "diving in with your head up your you-know-what."

The major dimensions of the model around which many of us develop business management proficiency are Competence (consisting of key components like knowledge, skill, experience, and judgment) and Commitment (consisting of the key components like confidence, motivation, and persistence). No one here said that confidence is all that matters, or that none of the other components were important. Of course those other elements are of major importance.

AutismSmile specifically asked about anxiety, an element of the confidence component -- and while becoming more competent can help increase one's confidence, I've taught people (from combat soldiers to corporate executives) who were the best in the world at what they did and were highly motivated to do it -- but still felt anxious at times. In my view, that's not a weakness or lack of anything -- it's a normal built-in human "warning system" that needs to be tested and reset periodically so we can learn when to really pay attention to it. It's about us managing our emotions, rather than our emotions managing us (and ultimately our business outcomes).

Yes, if you're jumping out of an airplane, you'd best have a parachute and know how to use it. But you can still have a parachute, know how to use it, and feel anxious when it's time to step out of the hatch. Handling that anxiety is an altogether different challenge (requiring a different approach) than learning to pack the 'chute, put it on, and pull the cord.

Again, best wishes.