Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 2:35 AM by feklhr

Web site inventory control issue

feklhr Wayfarer
      Ok. My site is almost ready to go. I have ironed out 99% of every bump in the road I have came across. My last issue is my inventory control system. I can put products up for sale on my site, but I can not find a way of controling my quantities and having my site only allow so many sales of a product. In other words, if I only have 5 of item X, to set it where my site will read "out of stock". If I were to go live now, I would have no way to keep 100 people from buying an item when I only have 3 or 4 in stock. I am using web.com to host my site and there site builder has no control tools for this. They do allow to import seperate html and coding addons so installing a 3rd party addon is no proble. The issue is I can not find one that seems good. I need advice here.
        • Re: Web site inventory control issue
          feklhr Wayfarer
          meant to say, have it say "out of stock" AFTER 5 are sold.
            your_web_guy Adventurer
            well... i hate to say it (especially because it sounds like you have done a lot of work on your site already), but i would suggest installing oscommerce to control your website and inventory control... it does everything you are needing and a whole lot more. Unfortunately installing it would prolly mean all the work you did was for not though.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              I'm not aware of a less expensive solution (sorry) . . . but if you intent to build you business on a significant volume of repeat customers, I can reinforce that it is a function you want to have if at all possible. When a site doesn't tell me that an item is backordered or unavailable until the transaction is complete, it's frustrating. I generally cancel the order and I don't shop there again.

As I said, that doesn't help you find a solution -- but I hope it encourages you to keep looking for one. Best wishes.