Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 9:35 AM by wfajardo

Experience on Skype?

Bluesuit Adventurer
      I just tried skype the other day - and one person kept dropping off, and then when we all hung up - - I later came back to my computer and realized that I could still see his desktop. Apparently, he forgot to "unshare." Good news is that nothing confidential showed up or anything. New to skype. Any experience people can share on best practices?
        • Re: Experience on Skype?
          MotorDoc Wayfarer
          The only recommendation I have is to shut it down after using it, not just 'hang up.' I had similar experiences in the past, especially as they added features.

I will say that I have found Skype to be a powerful tool, especially on keeping down expenses during overseas trips. However, for anything requiring presentations or sharing, I try to use GoTo Meeting which has an associated cost, but is more secure.

LUCKIEST Guide
            Experience on Skype??

The system works fine for me. Thanks for the heads up about "unshare" or hanging up.

Skype is software that allows users to make telephone calls over the Internet. Calls to other users of the service and to toll-free numbers are free, while calls to other landlines and cell phones can be made for a fee. Additional features include instant messaging, file transfer and video conferencing.

Skype has experienced rapid growth in popular usage since the launch of its services. It was acquired by eBay in September 2005.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              DCDirect Wayfarer
              Have started to use SKYPE extensively only recently.

Using their options of creating virtual telephone numbers in different countries offers you
              a) the flexibility of easy access by your customers / prospects
              b) saves time and costs

My experience with the quality of the services is mostly linked to the "last mile".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Bernoulli Newbie
                We've been using Skype for a little while now. I work with co-workers in other states and the video conference capabilities and application sharing (w/ Yugma) have been extremely helpful for our development meetings (and have cut costs - we used to use WebEx to share applications). It has also been great when our people are on the road during sales or training trips. Shorter update meetings while on the road seem to be much more effective than a longer meeting after the engineer returns.

However, I would not use this with customers because it does have a tendency to drop off - not too mention the continued application sharing you mentioned - that could be a nightmare! But for informal meetings between co-workers it has been great and you can't beat the price!
                  Bluesuit Adventurer
                  Thanks for all the exchange. The tips are good.
                    Fortis Wayfarer
                    Would Vonage be a good alternative?
                      wfajardo Wayfarer
                      Skype, I could not survive without this wonderful tool. Whether I'm communication with someone in Hong Kong or the US, its the tool that makes my communication effortless. I really don't use anyother communication tool with my vendors, they all love it.
                      Thanks for the unshare aspect of the tool I will keep in mind this potential problem.