Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 5:21 AM by BizCreditGuy

Business Start Up

StPaparazzi Newbie
      I have been "doing business as" since 7/06. I am trying to get the start up going and open my own photography studio. I am unsure how to go about this being my personal credit was smashed in my last relationship. I have been working on fixing the mess but isnt there a way to get business credit outside of your personal?
        • Re: Business Start Up
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Business Start Up, Welcome

*If I was *trying to get the start up going and open my own photography studio, I would do two things.

One, I would develop a Business and Marketing Plan.

Two, I would contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE both in person or online.

I am a SCORE Counselor and would be glad to help you. You can email me at pdeig@juno.com

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Milleisen Scout
            Where there's a will, there's a way. There are plenty of unconventional ways to finance a business, but the route you might take depends on your personal situation. I consult with small businesses about how to finance a business when traditional venues are unavailable. Please e-mail me at milleisen@hotmail.com to set up a free consultation.

A word of caution: there are companies out there that claim they can get you money even with bad credit and no proof of income. These companies will charge outrageous fees that will hurt you more than help. Many charge upwards of 20% of the loan amount, which typically cancels any economic benefit that the loan might provide. As with most things in life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
              Tracker

To build up both your business and personal credit you need to have a plan and a focus. If you have not created a business plan yet, take your experience "doing business as" over the past two years and use that as a basis to create a real business plan with real financial projections.

You can search this site for "business start-up help and you will see a lot of good advice from the professionals who participate in this community.

LUCKIEST gave you some good advice about using SCORE to help with your plan and perhaps Milleisen with his focus on "non-traditional" ways to help can be of benefit to you as well.

Again, it is always a good idea to get your business idea or plan down on paper. It's especially important for start-ups that may be looking for funding or investors at some point.

In general Business Plans are made up of the following:

1. Executive Summary
              2. Market Opportunity
              3. Vision, Mission, & Objectives
              4. Management
              5. Business Strategy
              6. Competition
              7. Risk
              8. Financial Plan/Capital Requirements
              9. Summary

The best way to launch a business is use the above ouline as a guid to layout the plan (for both yourself and your business idea). I have seen many business owners fail, and many succeed. Often the basis for both drives back to their preparation (or lack of) early on. You have to plan and prepare well when you want to start or buy a business. It is too important to short-cut or not do!

Good luck with your business plans.

Dennis Lowery

Adducent, Inc.
                YoungAndLucky Newbie

I feel as if I could assist you in this topic, as I have turned a idea with friends into a investor ready business plan and have now found a investor. Is it going to be just you starting this company or is there a team of entrepreneurs? The reason I ask is that I found it easier when running into to road blocks to have a "support" team to continue the process moving forward. The first thing I would do is to right down different ideas of how you are going to differentiate yourself from competitors and when you feel you have enough then look into getting a template for a business plan. If this is your first business plan that you have written then prepare to read, then read some more. This process is a great learning experience. In the business plan you need to show numerous supporting factors in why you will succeed, as well as how you will market yourself to build company awareness. The financial side of the business plan needs to have a break even analysis, cash flow analysis, 1,3,5 year profitability analysis and other important factors of business. After succeeding at writing the business plan, I would move forward on finding a investor, most chamber of commerce's have investor list or access to investors. Also look to the internet, as it can lead to finding what your looking for. I will give you one idea which might help, if I understand what your company does then this might help you. I would go out and find companies that could potentialy need for someone to take photos of the service they completed to post in there portfolio, which again look to the chamber of commerce. You should already have the equipment to take professional photo's correct?, then move forward on companies that need this service which should bring in your unfound revenue. I cant say what companies need this service but there out there, this I do know. So remember to differentiate yourself from competitors and market everywhere.
                  BizCreditGuy Newbie
                  First. Form a corporation or LLC. Easy to do using forms available in every state. Next get your Federal Tax ID Number, local business licenses and then your DUNS Number. Next begin applying for business credit with "business friendly" creditors. I started our three years ago (with marginal credit) and today I have over $200k in credit. True. There are several e-books on the net (don't recommend most of them). There is a new book at Amazon.com, Principles of Building Business Credit. It's very detailed and comprehensive. The book, and others, are available in a home study course at www.iwantbusinesscredit.com. It's worth it.

However, you need to work on your personal credit also. You can ignore it for a time, but in the lonn run, it needs to be fixed. Your ultimate strategy should be to fix your personal credit while you build your business credit. Together, you can get whatever you need.

Good luck!