Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2008 11:43 PM by yorkiebarker

Dunn & Bradstreet

yorkiebarker Newbie
      My on line buisness is less than a year old and I have been approached by Dunn & Bradstreet, asking me to join their listing for $599.00. I am familiar with them, but is it THAT important for me to invest that kind of money in a credit listing? This would be a financial burden right now and I turned them down. What is the deal? Is this usually how people are listed with them, they buy their way in?
        • Re: Dunn & Bradstreet
          Auto_Importer Newbie
          D&B is not consistent or reliable in the business of reporting business credit. They also can't report anything but vendor and supplier terms, not lender or bank credit. The membership they are touting is something that they use to subjugate small businesses to their view of the business credit world. D&B has an antiquated model for determining viability of a business, such as whether or not you are in a brick building or a wood building, and whether you answer your own phone or not.

Most new businesses who buy their "credit builder" membership seeking to build business credit are quickly swept into "red flag" status with D&B, which means they won't report your credit to anyone else - until you ante up to get out of the red flag staus. Meanwhile, they just tell everyone you've been red flagged. Red flagging is done from a P.O. box in Pennsylvania, and you can't reach anyone there.

The number they say they will assign to you has likely already been assigned to you. If not, it will be as soon as anyone asks them about you. They tend to report very highly the companies that won't return their phone calls. Once they think you need them, look out.

Experian has entered the business credit market, and the other 'real' bureaus are following suit. And they don't charge you to be in the databases. I borrowed from Trade Capital Company in Las Vegas to get reported to Experian, which was a godsend. Jonathan Warren at Trade Capital clued me clued me in about D&B, and showed me some examples of cases that were blatantly extortionist. Ignoring D&B is the safest way to handle them.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              yorkiebarker Newbie
              Thank you for this very valuable information. My company (painreliefplace.com) has been hit so many times by companies who say they are going to help make our company grow, and it will only cost $$$$$, and we just end up further in debt. I have become very leary of anyone calling and wanting money for a service that they say "I must have". Thanks again I will close the file on this one.
                  Archangel Adventurer
                  This is very true. I'm finding that when I do a mass mailing or pretty much any other attempt at advertising or marketing my company most of what I get back are sales pitches. having a D&B number is a handy asset, but not for the reasons they want you to believe. If you want to do business with the federal government or wal mart for instance you have to have one. Other than that, there realy isn't much use for it.
                Milleisen Scout
                Don't waste your money. I worked for a community bank as a lender, and very rarely did we ever find any useful information in a D&B report. The best way to establish your business as a good credit risk is to demonstrate a track record of profitability. Until you reach "middle market" status (revenues of about $50 Million), you will almost always be required to personally guaranty any credit facility that your business takes on. This means that the info on your personal credit report is infinately more important than what's on your business credit report.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  Here's a related thread on the same question with some good responses . . .

Getting a DUNS number versus $329 CreditBuilder?
                    yorkiebarker Newbie
                    Thanks to all that answered my question. I have a better understanding and realize that right now it is not necessary for my company to be listed with D&B. I wish I had come across this site a year ago. I look forward to more interaction with members.