Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2008 2:05 AM by webmasters

Do small business need branding as much as the big guys

SASGraphic Newbie
      In today's world of intense competition, at the very least a small business needs a logo and web presence. In the interest of brand recognition it would be very useful if the logo were carred through all printed media such as business cards, letterhead, brochures, and of course, web site design.

For more information on small business graphic design services, visit www.sasgraphicdesign.com
        • Re: Do small business need branding as much as the big guys
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Do small business need branding as much as the big guys

DEFINATELY, and welcome. Great suggestion.

Thanks
            Iwrite Pioneer
            No, we need it more.

We don't have the reputation or the resources that big businesses do. We don't have the awareness or the capital to keep us up and running for extended periods of time. We don't have multiple locations or channels for distribution. We don't have the money to flood the market with our name. We tend to be less known and less trusted by consumers, creating even larger hurdles to overcome to get people to try our product or service.

We need as big an advantage as we can get. This is just my opinion.
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

I'd say that SOME types of small businesses may need a logo and definitely a website just as much (or more) to compete in their particular markets. Many small businesses (maybe even MOST) do not. As I've said in other posts, I think this community is skewed toward small business owners who (1) provide professional services, (2) run MLM and/or web-based retail operations, and (3) are still "emerging" (are in business part-time only at this point).

If our business plans say that our market is essentially "everybody in the world," then we probably need a logo and website. However, the vast majority of small businesses serve a very narrow and very specific clientele (a niche market).

According to the U.S. Census Bureau and Department of Labor, about 81 percent of registered businesses are sole proprietorships -- the owner IS the business. If he or she wasn't there, there'd be no business. In effect, the person is the "brand."

The types of business these owners are engaged in can range from the mundane to the truly unusual, but the common threads are: (a) they provide a product or service to an extremely small market segment (too small to attract big business competition), and (b) their customers already know who and where they are (and potential new customers find them through referrals, not advertising or web searches).

That said -- more and more, not having a website is like not having a telephone. Even if it's not necessary as a sales or marketing tool, it confirms that we're in business and tells people how to contact us.

BizBurrito Wayfarer
                One of the ways (there are many) small businesses grow is by developing a dynamic brand personality, coupled with a consistent brand strategy. Branding is more than a logo, website, ads, corporate stationery....those are all critical components, but true branding includes every touchpoint between a company and its customers, its employees, and its stakeholders.

I have a lot of great ( and free!) information on small business branding on my web site, if you want to check it out. Click on the "Brand Strategy" button on the nav bar.

www.businessburrito.com

Hope it helps!
                  webmasters Adventurer
                  In my opinion small businesses need to focus on creating brand awareness.
                  Branding creates brand awareness to those unfamiliar to a product or service during advertising which is a part of marketing which if done correctly could translate into sales.
                  So the answer to the question is yes.

Warm Regards,
                  Webmaster
                  http://www.siteprohosting.com
                    webmasters Adventurer
                    Branding is like creating a seal of authenticity for your company.

Warm Regards,
                    Webmaster
                    http://www.siteprohosting.com
                      MotorDoc Wayfarer
                      A small business, even a sole proprietorship, cannot survive without branding. The idea that the brand must be just a website or logo is incorrect. The brand can be the business name, or, in the case of a sole proprietor, even the name of the owner. Brand recognition and word of mouth are the two most significant, and least expensive, methods of marketing. However, developing the brand will take a long time. Once the brand is developed, you also have to take significant steps to protect it, as well. This includes registering (for instance, our logo is a registered trademark, the name SUCCESS by DESIGN is a registered trademark, as is my nickname) as a trademark.

After spending decades developing professional and business branding, my major issue has been protecting the use of my name and my company name by others in an effort to work off of my brand to promote competing, or other, businesses. This has required significant vigilance.

Developing the brand has required participation in everything from professional societies/trade associations, professional speaking, professional papers, white papers, participation in forums, training, providing as a resource, being published, and other similar work. The use of a website and logo is not a brand, but a method of obtaining information of the brand. People need to know what and who they are looking for, first, in these days of massive online marketing.
                          beccamutz Newbie
                          I totally concur with MotorDoc. As a small business owner of a home based business, my business is a direct reflection of "me," so I am technically branding myself. With all of the social networking places out there today, if you market your business online, joining some of those is a must. I know it takes time and all of the traditional methods of advertising still apply (well, most of them, anyway!), but participating in forums such as this one shows that you are interested in helping other people and offering no-obligation support.

Once people know who you are and what you stand for, they are more open to do business with you. As an example, a simple MySpace page can do wonders for your online presence. To learn more about me, I invite you visit me at www.myspace.com/beccamutz

Thanks for the opportunity to post!

All the best,

Becca Mutz
                          Bella Vista, AR
                          www.SoyScents4u.com
                          We Make Scents - You Make Dollars!
                          webmasters Adventurer
                          Thanks MotorDoc I could not have said it better.

Warm Regards,
                          -Webmaster
                          <em style="clear: