Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2008 2:23 PM by ITBrandy

critique of website

indira Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of starting my own business and would appreciate if you can review and critque my website.

Thanking you in advance for taking time out of your busy schedules to review and offer comments.

• Re: critique of website
          websolutions Tracker
          Hi Indira, I think the site overall is looking good, the only things I have noticed during my 2 minute review is the following:

• your site load is very slow
          • your flash images are overlapping the text/images i.e. company slogan

Also, are you offering service in all states or just in our local area? Either way, you need to SEO your site so it targets the desired geo...

Hope this kind of helps...
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            amspcs Ranger
            Hello Indira, welcome to the forum.

I reviewed your site per your request. Surely fills a needed niche, my wife and I can certainly attest to that. We just went through the process of having to place an elderly parent into a care facility, and your site answers a lot of questions that otherwise would take the typical person weeks and months to accumulate.

I think the content was very good, photos very tasteful, presentation dignified (except for maybe the teddy bear) as it should be. I assume you are a fairly new site which means the content will continue to grow, which is good. My only minor complaint would be that I found the color schemes, particularly the green and light blue, to be somewhat hard to read....that might just be my 60 year old eyes.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions from the members of this community, so I'm sure you'll do very well. I wish you success.

My business is USA-based credit card processing. I note you are located in Canada where I happen to have a very good acquaintance in the industry by the name of David Goodale. In an industry known for having it's share of unsavory characters, Dave really stands out as a 'good guy' in my book. If you need his services, email me and I'll give you his contact info--he writes strictly Canadian merchant services businesses.

Best regards,
              puzzleman Tracker
              I thought your site was good looking and professional. I really like the ability to enlarge the font size to make it easier to read. great idea for older folks to be able to read.

I do agree with the above that the teddy bear does seem out of place. If it is part of your logo, I think the part with the green roof over the name was much better. It appears more adult. I feel that teddy bears are more of a child thing.

A_Ellicott Adventurer
                A good professional looking site, which is important in building trust in your business.

The pages loaded very fast for me, even the pictures. Perhaps it was just a technical issue at the time?

I agree, lose the teddy bear.

I thought the green and pinkish colors were fine, kind of different look which I think is good. However, wouldn't it be better to pick up the same red color in the header throughout the site?

Lastly, one suggestion of something to add in the future. You might consider having a page or two for children of seniors that are looking at your service. Something like "how to discuss home health care with your parents"? I'm guessing you will have more children of seniors accessing your site than seniors themselves.
                  PhilippKnoll Wayfarer
                  Hallo indira,

Your site looks very professional. Even the teddy looks ok to me. You could change it but there is no hurry.

The only thing I would work at is text layout.
                  Now your text is a little hard to read. I suggest you shorten the paragraphs. Saparate your thought more. This will make it a lot easier to quickly scan through your site and still find the requested info. Most people won't take the time to read through all of the content. Make sure to place the strongest arguments at the top plus at the bottom of each page. You could also change the main font color to #333333. That way it still won't be black but it could be considered high contrast. Give it a try.

Hope this helps!

PhilippKnoll Wayfarer
                    Have you set up proper landing pages yet? You should consider doing so. Set up a landing page for each single topic that you deal with. Provide only this info at the landing page and carefully choose your keywords.

Best wishes,

your_web_guy Adventurer
                        agreed... your site is very wordy, which isnt a bad thing if you have it easily navigatable... no one is going to read that much text and its hard to find the specific information when looking for it. You might consider a search engine as well as some slightly less text intensive pages... in other words break it up a bit. Hopefully your webdesigner isnt one that charges per page (i hate that whole concept because it makes for bad design and long pages) so that you can get the content broken up a bit.

if your web designer does have that pricing structure consider a content management system that you can administer yourself. That way you can make as many pages / updates / news bullitans you want without having to deal with someone who nickels and dimes (or whatever the canadian equivalent is LOL) you to death

you also have some horizontal scroll when viewed at 800x600 that you might wanna fix.

other than that, though i think it looks very nice.
                        webmasters Adventurer

Very nice.
                        The green text against the grey is kind of hard on the eyes. I think a lighter color would be better.
                        The footer text is a little dark.
                        Other than that I have no complaints.

Warm Regards,
                          JVCruz Adventurer
                          In addition to what everyone here has mentioned, all very good points, here's my thoughts:

Your 3 C's in your logo or motto: Although the green font is nice, you can't really see it. Possibily making in bold will help or to place it on a lighter background.

The default text is difficult to read and I didn't even notice where to change it until after a minute or so. I would make the default text larger - possibly at font size 10. The overall site is a bit wordy as well.

The navigational links in your header: I would take off the Employment and Privacy links and keep them at the bottom (where you already have them). You don't want to take away from what you are trying to do which is attract new clients. A suggested order: Profile, Services, Needs Assesment, Resources, FAQ, Contact Us

Resources: I'm not sure of all the sites that you have linked there; however, keep in mind that you don't want to have your potential customers leave your site (ultimately your services) behind. I would suggest to put key points here with links. Review the site for yourself and place your review there.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you and your company.

JV Cruz
                            ITBrandy Newbie
                            I just sent you an email from your website with some possible solutions to help bring in more targeted traffic.