Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 3:50 PM by bizsaver

Have You Got A Business Idea Or Concept?

bizsaver Wayfarer

Almost everywhere I go and everyone I talk to, has a GREAT idea for a business, but needs help in getting the concept off the ground. I am thinking of starting a website that allows an open forum specifically for business ideas or concepts. Anyone can post a business idea along with a brief summary and what their shortfalls are, say product design, marketing, manufacturing, distribution. Other Biz Warriors can go in and add there comments and suggestions to the "idea", and help build a business plan from concept to consumer. It is so frustrating to have all the business ideas we all have every day, and not be able to share them...I think this would be the perfect outlet. You never know, someone might see the "idea" let you know they have the same idea and how about partnering up?

If there was a site like this, would you use it? Please let me know!!!

BizSaver
        • Re: Have You Got A Business Idea Or Concept?
          caffeinated Scout
          Not to belittle your post or sound paranoid, but how would stop others from stealing your idea and then beating you to the market? Or would all contributors be a partner in that idea and reap the profits as well suffer in the losses?
              bizsaver Wayfarer
              Thanks for your response. If I have a good idea, something that is not patentable, a business, service or website, and need help building the foundation, in-put by others might be just what I need. If it's a good idea it will get knocked off sooner or later any way...but I might not get it up and running unless I have more knowledge than I currently possess. That's one of the reasons we go to business mixers and refferal networks, this is just on a bigger scale. Just a thought!

BizSaver
                  snipperred Scout
                  Hi there Bizsaver,

I would use the site if it were free because it would be in conjunction with my concept to do so. Right now I am developing my concept out and doing extensive research and development into it. I have been running into business forums everywhere. Just today I noticed startup.com for a moment. That's next on my list to look into this week. I think I can recall their theme is "from concept to customer" or something like that. I have been playing around with my own "from vision to materialization" and such along those lines. So good luck. Perhaps we can work together.

In regards to the proprietary security of ideas- I think this depends on several factors. However, in most cases, not as much as it used to. My business has a transparent development and production model so people can see how I take my idea through to substantial results. Thus they will be able to see me doing what I intend to offer them by example. Due to the dynamics of transformation in the modern business environment now, what was done yesterday is really subject to becoming obsolete- "as soon as it drives off the lot" so to speak. However, that doesn't make it irrelevant content for someone who wants to do their own thing. The really good stuff, as I say, is what I am doing now and what you can only get by working closely with me on a regular basis.

My favorite example of what I am talking about here is MIT OpenCourseware. I am a HUGE fan. They are essentially giving away course materials, lecture notes, and so on for the benefit of society. Just go to their website and you'll see what they are doing "now" is so cutting edge, you'd have to be educated to even understand half of it.

I have reserved keeping my idea out of the spot light here because of the appreciation I have for the professional contributors in this community. There's a little too much selling/ seeking going on and I don't want to be associated this way. Besides, I'm still in R&D and not ready to discuss business plans or financing- that will come in some years down the road when I get out of school etc. However, I'm involved in a lot of other forums and make no secrets about who I am, what I am doing, and people can look into my work real-time as it is developing.

I think people who are worried about spilling the beans need to wake up and adapt to the "speed of e" (with exceptions, of course). But it is better to lose a few beans from your bag, than to have no bag for your beans...
                      bizsaver Wayfarer
                      It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this project. I would like to become a charter member as soon as you are ready to launch. Keep me up-dated, and if I can be of some small help to you, let me know. My website is www.answerguy.info and you can reach me through it.
                          snipperred Scout
                          Thanks bizsaver. I looked into your site. My business will be extremely unconventional and outside the box. Yours seems tailored for a more practical market. I've been doing a survey for my R&D on some other forums/ social networking sites. Questions I might ask include...

How is your business going for you...really?

How flexible is your business to adapt?

What kinds of solutions do you wish you had available to help you succeed in the challenges of the modern environment?

I might ask you the same questions. BTW, I looked into startup.com today and found the platform virtually dead. There were a few forum posts over the last couple months and looks like the concept of the site is good but not necessarily working out for the founders. The business looks to be what the members will make of it- I see this as an opportunity to adapt and there is some initiative to seize. I'm going to play around on the forums for a bit to see what opportunities I can create for myself. Why don't you join me there for a bit and we could have a quick pro quo dialogue for a while.
                              bizsaver Wayfarer
                              After 40+ years in business as a consultant and mentor, I am completely practicle in what I do and what I offer. I think it is great to expand your horizons, but after investigating the possibilities, I think the concept of a business idea sharing program may be best used as a blog to an existing site that offers other business related products and services. If it works, you can always expand it later.
                              The Answer Guy
                      LUCKIEST Guide
                      Have You Got A Business Idea Or Concept??

Yes I am a SCORE Counselor and people see us with GREAT Business Idea and Concepts.

As you know SCORE is FREE, both in person and online.

SCORE is the site, Good luck, LUCKIEST
                        LUCKIEST Guide
                        Have You Got A Business Idea Or Concept?

AND everything you tell SCORE os confidential