Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 4:19 PM by your_web_guy

Web Design

HAARK58 Wayfarer
      Hello Friends and neighbors,

I have a website: www.1800poems.com which I would like to redesign. I want to do this myself because of the amount of autonomy that comes with design and changes. I have Windows Vista unfortunately and can not use Frontpage. I want to use a software that does not require HTML knowledge because I do not know it nor do I want to learn because of the learning curve. Can anyone suggest an application that would help me with this goal? It also needs to be able to handle e-commerence.

Thanks for the assist.
        • Re: Web Design
          A_Ellicott Adventurer
          I don't know about e-commerce, but Microsoft Expression Web is the successor to Frontpage. It is similar in that it has various tools that generate the code for you. As I understand it, the reason Frontpage was dropped is that it did not create code that was standard for all browsers and platforms. Expression Web has a feature that imports old Frontpage sites as well. Now having said all that, it is not as easy to use as Microsoft would have you believe (what is?). So there is a learning curve. However, there are several books that have sections or chapters of making the switch from Frontpage, so that may be your best option.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            PhilippKnoll Wayfarer
            Hi HAARK58,

Working on webdesign and programming for several years now, I don't belive that you should rely on a software to code a page for you. I would always want to have control over the code I use. Have you thought about unsing Wordpress as a CMS for your website. Wordpress will give you the freedom to change the design of your site whenever you like. You simple upload a new theme and activate it through the admin panel. There are hundrets of themes available for free.

It works the same way for updating content. You simply log into the admin panel and write text, upload pictures or other media content and save the changes. It could not be any easier. Even without HTML knowledge you will have wordpress set up in minutes.

There are hundrets if not thousands of features you can use to make your site more attractive for your visitors. RSS FEEDS and Emai subscriptions being only the very basics.

If you are looking for a custom design I would be glad to help you out. Check out the offer I recently posted at my website (also a Wordpress page). I am sure you will find it valuable. If you wish I could set up a custom theme for you and implement features such as the RSS subscriptin form, Google analytics, perhaps include a google adSens acount and so on.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested in my service. Otherwise I can still recommend the use of Wordpress! I am sure you will like it.

Greetings,
            Philipp
              John_6x6 Adventurer
              I have to agree with Philipp. Wordpress is open source, completely customizable and simple. Most importantly, it's created in PHP which is search engine friendly. I just did a custom template for a politician campaign running for PA state representative. http://www.stainthorpe2008.com. With Wordpress, you can add "plug-ins" to give your site options, such as ecommerce capabilities. Check out http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-e-
              commerce/.

WYSIWYG editors, especially the Microsoft products, can seriously jeopardize your search and browser capabilities. Real autonomy comes from learning html and css, however the learning curve takes too long for many. The autonomy you're seeking without the headaches can be found in wordpress, save you a ton of time, and bring better search results.

Happy hunting.
              John, 6x6 Design
                surfaceburn Newbie
                Hey -

Great conversation!! And great advice!! I have been in Interactive Media for over a Decade and I have to agree - I have gotten in the mode of re-programming many of my clients to start looking toward tools like Wordpress, Drupal, and others because they are highly search friendly, rapid to market and easy to maintain. So what's being said here is awesome.

Specializing in Social Media - I find that Wordpress is a "God Send" it's highly effective in the "Search Wars" and for the Owner it's authentically a asset because of the control factors. I applaud 6X6 because he is being so honest - eventhough his services are design!! Thats so refreshing! Cheers!

Vincent A. Hunt
                Social Media Syndicator/Consultant
                Surface Burn
                    John_6x6 Adventurer
                    Thank you, Vincent. Nice to hear a professional's review and comment.
                        HAARK58 Wayfarer
                        Hello guys...I really appreciate the info on Wordpress. I have been to the site and am seriously considing them. I have also seen some of the sites built with them and they are impressive. Thanks for the assist.
                            your_web_guy Adventurer
                            have you considered paying a pro to design it and integrate it with wordpress so you can then maintain it? might be the best of both worlds... especially if you are needing ecommerce on it.

for that matter are you actually selling poems on the site or books of poems or what exactly? i ask because you might consider oscommerce to be the backend and cms - unlimited categories and subcategories and lots of mods if you need to install any of them ... its also good for showing snippets of a story or poem or music and then forcing the surfer to buy to see the rest.
                            surfaceburn Newbie
                            Hey 6x6!!

No problem. As the web shifts, it's always good to see the true professionals shifting with it - providing value to the community!! Good goin!!

Vincent A. Hunt
                            Social Media Syndicator/Consultant
                                snipperred Scout
                                Hi there,

I just set up a social network where you can see and try the Ning platform for free. I think it is the best and you can set up your own for free too. My network is intended to be a catch all directory for different social networks to gather. So you are welcome to join it and represent your own interests however you want. You can set up your business idea on your own customizable page, start forums, groups, and so on. Check out Area Light www.arealight.ning.com and let me know what you think- especially having looked into other applications like Wordpress.
                            Frank_WHH Newbie
                            Hi Haark58! I suggest you take a look at Drupal (www.drupal.org) by far the best web building software out there! Wordpress is very nice for bloging, but it's not as complete as Drupal! I imagine that search engine optimization is important to you (it should!) than Drupal is the answer!
                            Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!
                            Goo luck!