Post a new topic
    25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 10:20 PM by PremiereMedia

Please help me in choosing web hosting

0xyGen Newbie
      Hi everyone,
      I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host ( is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
      I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
      Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
        • Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting
          websolutions Tracker
          Hi Oxy, I am sorry to hear about this issue. I really like bluehost but all shared hosting companies have similar Terms of Service. However, I have heard good things about Web Hosting Pad and IX Web Hosting so you might want to check them out here: - this is a very comprehensive list.

Best of luck!

SEOpro Adventurer
            I struggled with the same issue for several months.

In the end, I went with
            In fact, I signed up for what they call a "Reseller" package, which allows me to set up a lot of websites, so I have really become a kind of hosting company myself. Only for very small businesses, though, where the responsibility is manageable.

Anyway, the thing that cinched it for me with is how quickly they reply to support requests. They have this online chat thing where you type in your question and some (very far away no doubt) converses with you until you get the answer you need. That got me up to speed very quickly.

They also allowed me to install my own copy of Big Medium (I am not affiliated in any way, by the way, with Big Medium of HostGator), a content management system that I am very fond of.

I have to believe there are many hosting co's out there like

Best regards.
            Liam Scanlan
   when he's at work. when he's at home.
              DomainDiva Ranger
              We use GoldRush Worldwide Access in Angels Camp CA. Never a problem..

jcwilde1 Newbie
                  I went through this issue about a year ago and actually put my site one 3 hosting companies servers to test for speed. What I found was that Godaddy was good but their database speed was bad. OneandOne was slow all around.

Media Temple is what I still use for We get 10's of thousands of visits a month and it keeps up just fine. Other companies such as Starbucks, Kirupa and Sony use them as well. (I am sure they use a bigger plan than me though)
                  MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                  OxyGen: What kind of business are you in? Sometimes the type of business will determine whether a hosting company will host you as well.

We host all our websites through ICDSoft and have NEVER had a problem with them. Make sure of why your current company is "kicking you out" so that you can accurately provide the information to any new company you go with as I'm sure you can't afford for your business to be down.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Deb L
                  Mainely Technology
                    chicagoboston Newbie
                    Try IXwebhosting. They are very straightforward and run their own data center.
                      britinusa Wayfarer
                      O2, It's really a horses for courses issue.

If you are serving a high bandwidth, perhaps sharing videos, audio files etc. then bandwidth is probably the issue that you need to focus on with the hosting provider. I service clients sites on a vareity of systems as well as being a godaddy reseller. I use godaddy servers myself but I'm no bandwidth hog. If your site is dynamic, then be careful of servers that have heavy handed cacheing, that can be a real pain.

For low cost hosting try (yep, my hosting site :)

I'm in the process of switching several clients over to verio (I'm a reseller for them too!) as they have excellent uptime and netconnections.

Hope that helps.

xenopod Adventurer
                        Two companies I consistently use:

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Darkscape. Liquid Web is also good, but a bit less personal. So it depends on how important that is to you. I hope that helps. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
                          NatOnline Tracker

Getting a reliable web hosting company is one of the most difficulty when you are a e-commerce owner.

I am hosted on , they provide top notch service and fix problems right away. They know how to run servers and are very knowledgeable.

I am on my fifth hosting company for my e-commerce, the older companies were horrible, lack of reel support, and worse customer service ever.

Good luck finding what you need.
                            A_Ellicott Adventurer
                            I've just recently switched web hosting so I don't have enough experience with my current host to reccomend them or not. However, I did look into the unlimited disk space for a low fee issue when switching. As I understand it, the web host knows from experience that most of their customers are not going to use nearly as much space as they purchse. Sort of like the electric company knows that not everyone is going to turn on every appliance they own all at once. Apparenty there is some disagreement over this practice with some people claiming this is "overselling" and it is dishonest/unethical. However it seems to be the a trend that is here to stay. If this concerns you, you can find hosts that do not do it.
                              John_6x6 Adventurer
                              You've received allot of great answers. I've heard similar issues with Bluehost too. Also be sure to look for non-shared hosting if you get volume. If your current hosting is on a shared server, that could eb the resources problem. You may not need to move, maybe just upgrade. By the way, I host several websites at in TX. They've been excellent and very affordable.
                              Good luck in your hunt.
                                soapinmama Newbie
                                I am with <a href="">AddAction.Net</a> and I've been with them for years. Never have had problems and technical support is awesome!
                                  MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                                  OxyGen: Lots of great hints and help ideas and yet no additional response from you. Let us know how you are doing with your search and what you decide, it may help another who is in a similar situation.

Deb L
                                  Mainely Technology
                                    chefstacy Wayfarer
                                    Hey I am chef stacy, we have a wonderful hosting company called 1 and 1 there website is they are great i hope this will help you.
                                      BizBurrito Wayfarer
                                      OxyGen -
                                      It sounds like you've been doing this for awhile, so this answer may not be for you as much as it would be for someone reading this forum who is starting out, and is looking for a turnkey package.

I would highly recommend, which is a holistic approach to web hosting.

I stumbled upon them a few months back. I knew I wanted
                                      to start a website, but knew nothing about it or how to optimize it, or
                                      how to build traffic, didn't know what SEO was...basically didn't know
                                      anything. When you sign up, besides all the regular hosting
                                      capabilities and amenities, you also get an amazing step-by-step
                                      walk-through on how to choose your niche, pick your domain name,
                                      writing keyword focused content, SEO, monetization...the whole works.
                                      To me, it was like getting an MBA in internet.

I hope this is helpful.

168media Newbie

everyone is offering you these and that!

first try to assess them:
                                        Is it AFFORDABLE?
                                        Is it Reliable?
                                        Is it Worry-free?
                                        Is it time-saver?
                                        Will it work properly?

168 Media Creative will help you find a solution for that!
                                        we have 4 packages for you
                                        budget website
                                        intermediate website
                                        Large website and
                                        E-commerce website

for more info. you could email me at:
                                          webmasters Adventurer
                                          We love what we do!

Warm Regards,
                                          To contact us call 1-858-605-0942 or visit on the web at
                                          Feel free to use the request a call feature on our home page and we'll return your call ASAP

Thanks for considering
                                            j.barkley Wayfarer
                                            check out they have the best rates!!!! and they work fast!!!! i have 4 web sites hosted by them.
                                              j.barkley Wayfarer
                                              i would go with they made and host all of my sites.... super nice people and they work fast!!!!
                                                Frank_WHH Newbie
                                                Hi OxyGen! Your problem might be with somebody hacking your website, throught things like ping of death / ping flooding or other things that keeps your processes running and crashes the web server! You might want to check or have your logs checked, because if this is the case, the problem can follow you to your new host. This website mentions a couple of good web hosts, you might want to check it out :
                                                Good luck!
                                                  webmasters Adventurer
                                         has affordable hosting plans with 99.9% uptime
                                                  and a 30 day money back risk free policy.

Warm Regards,
                                                    Emilyecho Wayfarer
                                                    I recommend you The followings are its characteristics:

1. Ecommerce Shopping Cart Software as a Service: With you get a complete ecommerce software and online shopping cart, but instead of downloading and paying for your shopping cart software, you can use it as a free service. Ours is the latest Web 2.0 ecommerce business model. Sign up and get your own webstore and shopping cart for free. We have all the tools to get your online website and webstore up and running right away. It is easy to set up and easy to use. With our Web 2.0 ecommerce webstore, you get a great online business system to let your grow your online retail business, and for free. Don't waste time with free trials.

2. Free eCommerce, No Gimmicks: With, you get a free web-based ecommerce package that is free to set up and free to use. There are hundreds of free shopping carts and free trials, but only FastCommerce lets you set up your online webstore and live shopping cart and then use it for free to grow your online webstore business. You grow your business, get comfortable with our easy to use shopping cart software tools, but you use it as a free service. You decide when to take the next step. You can purchase the optional SSL certificate to secure your webstore , set up a payment gateway to accept credit cards online, or sign up for inexpensive online support.

3. Free shopping cart software with a growing list of features: With FastCommerce Web 2.0 ecommerce storefront, you have all the tools you need to start and to run your online business, a free online presence, free hosting, online product catalog with featured and related products, live shopping cart, order management and customer contact management, inventory, shipping rate calculator for UPS and FedEx, auto-email responder for order and shipping confirmation, and more. With you can run most of your online business from a single system. Get started now and you can grow your online ecommerce business while we develop more tools to ensure your success.
                                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                                      I could sweet talk you with some catch sales phrasing and try to get you to use my preferred web hosting company.

Or I could strong arm you into making a "quick buy" decision.

Maybe I will do neither, just simply act strange and hope you will use my preferred hosting company.

No matter what I do you will use someone else.

Great Web Hosting, but you are sure to go elsewhere?

PremiereMedia Wayfarer
                                                        I recommend Yahoo because their basic plan gives you everything unlimited if you pay $30 every three months that's about $9.95 per rmonth and you get the domain for free with that .Just set it up in auto pay and on the web you go....
                                                        I have set up two sites with Yahoo, www, and Not plugging myself or anything like that just want you to see them because they are both build with with Yahoo's Sitebuilder software FREE from Yahoo and they can support video and audio and slide shows and more...
                                                        I know becasue I dit it all myself anyway Im so excited I want to dreate another Yahoo site. Good Luck if you need more help emai me please....