Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 5:18 PM by giovanni19

STARTING MY FURNITURE BUSINESS.

giovanni19 Newbie
      I'VE BEEN DESIGNING FURNITURE FOR A WHILE NOW AND HAVE BEEN FACINATED BY WHAT I WAS ABLE TO CREATE. I HAVE ALREADY GATHERED QUITE A FEW SKETCHES AND DRAWINGS TOGETHER AND WAS HOPING THAT I COULD GET SOME ADVICE ON WHAT I COULD DO NEXT.
        • Re: STARTING MY FURNITURE BUSINESS.
          snipperred Scout
          Hi there,

Are you already in business making furniture and looking for advice on how to grow it? Or are you a designer interested in taking your ideas into the furniture industry? Do you produce?

The design phase in furniture is something I think most people don't get to see. You generally get what you get that is available. Finding that couch or table that fits in just right with your wallpaper, flooring, other furniture, space, and lighting, etc can be a real challenge. Anyways, offering a custom design service might be a good way to get your foot in the door to the industry.
            PRINTERS Wayfarer
            When You have talent and passion, YOu will sure have the sucess. Starting a business in this economy is little harder job. But once you get your name into market, try spreading the name in your city and the neighbouring cities.
            For every business, location is very important. People need to park there vehicle. You need to load and unload the furnitures etc.
            Another one important is naming your company. it should very simple and unique.
            Check the domain availability. if somebody has a business in the same name. If You grow You will have to think about a new name. Most of the people search interent before they go to a store. They will go to the website and search for better. Then they choose one or two stores. Avoid the disputes on names in future. Check the trade mark also.
            Make the opening of the store grand. Direct mailing is the cheap and best. You can arrange a lucky dip, its like a bait for fishing.
            Any how I am pretty sure YOu will suceed in this game.
            May God Bless You
            Mat
            fortuneprophet@live.com
            www.fortuneprophet.net
              giovanni19 Newbie
              thank you for your responses. to answer some of your questions i have already designed some furniture and would like to get some advice on how i can can actually get them produced in order to put them out on the market. where do i start? i'm currently putting a portfolio together so that people better understand what i am about.
                  gtomblingson Newbie
                  Hi there,

Well, how to proceed now depends laregely on the kind of furniture you're designing. For me, I'd like to design and build fine wood furniture. I'm enrolling in a fine woodworking program at the local community college and after I graduate, I'm going to open a modest furniture shop and storefront with some capital I've scraped together over the years. For someone with no interest in building the furniture yourself I suggest you seek out established woodworking and upholstery shops and talk with them about your designs (make sure they have the opportunity to collaborate with each other to avoid problems with your designs).

Also, you'll need startup funds. No shops are going to do anything for you without cash. You can start small and post the finished products on craigslist for sale or you can scrape together more capital and open a store. If you're really ambitious and you've got the money I suggest finding some recent grads of a local furniture making program at a technical college or university and starting the business from scratch.

One more thing. Post an add on craigslist for hobby woodworkers/furniture makers. There are a lot of older retired guys that have spent their life working wood as a hobby and many have full shops at home. For extra income they'd likely build for you.

that's all i've got for now. If you let me know where-ish you're located and what type of furniture you're designing I could be more helpful.