Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 11:19 AM by John_6x6

Does anyone have an opinion about Google Adwords?

b2btech Wayfarer
      I just launched my ecommerce business selling digital scales for businesses and consumers at and I just setup Google Adwords. I had used Adwords before on another ecommerce business that I had a few years ago and I found that I was spending a lot of money and not getting any results. I also question whether the clicks were accurate. Primarily because I would see clicks but when you look at the details the average duration on my site was 1 or 2 seconds. I guess I just don't know if I fully trust Adwords. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with Adwords?
        • Re: Does anyone have an opinion about Google Adwords?
          amspcs Ranger
          I tend to think along your lines. Not 100% sure, but not completely confident in it either.
          Not sure if clicks are always legit, and feel it is very manipulated to artificially increase bid
          amounts. Plus, with all the theories about how to do this and that, I"m not sure ANYBODY
          knows the correct answers, including Google themselves. In short, still very biased towards the deep pocketed adverisers to the detrement of the small guy.

food2008 Newbie
            I agree with all answers. As small business owner ( I am spending a lot of money everymonth on both google and yahoo. I am not sure if the adwords work . The word of mouth is a better way to sell a product than spending money on adwords.

My customers are through word of mouth only.
                Archangel Adventurer
                The trick with adwords and the like is getting your CPC down to a managable level. Like 5 to 10 cents per click, and targeted very specifically. The problem is it's very difficult to get there. You need to have a lot of money, and I mean a LOT of money, to dump into it while things work themselves out. It's a lot of work as well, you have to stay on top of it, or pay someone else to do it. I'll tell you this, if I had all the money I've spent on google and similar stuff with my online business I'd be in a lot better shap then I am for my current business. If you're starting an online business and don't have a solid six digits laying around you might want to think again.
                intech Wayfarer
                We use Adwords quite a bit, and I have to say that you really have to stay on top of it to make it work. You can't just "set it and forget it." Also, you need to set up a very organized structure of keywords, ad text, regions where the ads run (if applicable) and landing page all correlating to each other. In other words, you need to create a high degree of probability that 1) A real potential customer clicks on your ad, and 2) the person who chooses to click your ad will find what he is expecting when he reaches your site.

As far as Google clicking the ads, I would say no way. It would be the ruination of their company if anyone ever found out they were doing that. And it would only take one disgruntled employee to blow the whistle. However, it is possible that one of your competitors is clicking your ads. I have heard of people doing this in order to deplete their rivals' budgets in any given day, so that their own ads run "unopposed" the rest of the day.
                  John_6x6 Adventurer
                  Adwords is allot of maintenance, I agree, but when your keywords are chosen more specifically, it can work. Check out this article on Search Engine Watch.
                  l?page=3630245 It has great information detailing the very topic you're asking about.

By the way, have you optimized your website for FREE search results? Be sure your main keywords (i.e. digital scales) are used in the page title and other places in your content. If you're not sure about doing this, email me and I'll be happy to give you some pointers.