Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2008 5:28 PM by Sofulcooks

Just started a food truck in austin any advice is highly app

Sofulcooks Wayfarer
      I am renting a food truck this is my first business that i've went through this far and got going. I've aquired my permits and have spent thousands of dollars on rent and suppling my truck. All of the money has come from tattooing which I do on the side. I can't afford to pay employees yet because I have'nt any money for that. My rent is 450 and all bills are paid so that's a relief I guess. I just need advertisement I think to get things rolling.
        • Re: Just started a food truck in austin any advice is highly app
          snipperred Scout
          Hi there.

Why not incorporate what I gather you've already got going for you? Good food and cool art. All kinds of ideas come to mind for marketing and advertising..

How flexible is your business to adapt?
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            Welcome to the community. As you know, two things Austin truly embraces are "food" and "weird." So seriously, anything that makes your food truck stand out from every other food truck -- something that would make people say, "I gotta SEE that" -- is almost like gold around here in terms of word-of-mouth, free media publicity, etc. So find an aspect or element of your business that is different, interesting, or maybe even a little bizarre -- and leverage it. Once you attract attention (especially if you're serving food) you'll get a lot of people looking at how you do things in terms of health, safety, permits, etc. -- so make sure you're running a good operation behind the scenes (of course, if you're doing tats now, it's not like all that is totally new to you). Best wishes!
              Sofulcooks Wayfarer
              Ok I have a question. There's a big red bottling company right around the corner from my shop how do I go about getting a deal with them to sell their product? This would solve my drink issue as having to spend money on soft drnks also.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  Re: Big Red . . . that's a local wholesale distributor, so contact them directly. Call the main number, then tell whoever answers that you're opening a new restaurant and want to talk to someone in Sales and Marketing about supplying your soft drinks. That should get you to the right person -- then just explain who you are and what you're looking for. Keep in mind that you might be a very small potential account from their perspective, so be open to asking about and exploring things you can do to sweeten the deal for them. Also, I know one local bottler here uses secondary merchandisers to service smaller accounts (I don't know if Big Red/7-Up does or not) -- but don't let it throw you if you get passed off to someone like that by Sales. Do the math on whatever deal you're offered, especially if your volume would be low and you're dealing with a secondary merchandiser -- I've have some small restaurant clients who found they could just buy from Sam's Club for about the same price, offer a wider selection, and have less waste. Good luck.
                  amazonprint Newbie
                  Hello, how about using the back of your truck to advertising for a local company? Use the capabilities to bring funds to your business. Also, how about selling to local hotels, they always need your services on a daily basis, and all it takes for you to land one account and use it to land the others, Good luck! You could also put a special ring to your horn, something that isn't annoying so people know when you are in the area. Good Luck!
                    caffeinated Scout

Welcome Sofulcooks!

Your truck is one big mobile billboard. Having the name of your company on your truck is the easiest and most obvious form of advertising. So being on the road often will get people familiar with your business. Is this like a canteen truck? Austin I'm sure has industrial parks. You can always visit them during breakfast and lunch hours to get more business. A big win would be to hit the local collleges and universities. I remember when I was in college, there was a food truck that came around and stayed open later than the local pizza and sub joints. The lines were ridiculous but we didnt care. It was fun to hang out with everyone late night waiting for our greasy burgers and cheese fries.

best of luck,
                    -caffeinated
                      Sofulcooks Wayfarer
                      The truck isn't a mobile one it's more of a single wide like structure. I could try and get some business to advertise on the top of my shop. I like they replies they are helping me. Thanks all.