Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2008 12:38 PM by DomainDiva

What's going on?

WarrenD Adventurer
      I too found the website came to this site to get advice on my start-up business. We all know how hard it is to start-up a business, we've been there, or were there now. If any of you think all I wanted financing though this site, I am sorry your wrong. I got some good leads, but got some bad. I here alot about the SBA, and score on this site. I've been working with them for the last 6 months, told I qualify for a small business loan, start applying and low and behold most banks will not do start-up loans, even the gracious host of this site. As for getting 70 friends, and relatives together,LOL, I would probably end up losing $70. Yes, there are people on this site just trying to get a loan here, but there are some of us just looking for advice. The only one that one that offered a loan was from the UK, and do I have to say more. Thanks have a GooD Day
        • Re: What's going on?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          What's going on??, Thanks for the feedback.

I am a SCORE Counselor and have told many people about SCORE.
          It is great that you has a good experience with them.

Also there are a lot of people looking for financing (funds) and many companies offering funds.
          Many want a payment up front, but we on this site do NOT get feedback which companies are
          good to do business with.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe others will also share. LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Iwrite Pioneer
            Warren,

You'll never know until you ask them. People come here and ask folks they don't know for money, but will not ask friends and family. I really do not understand that. What does it hurt to try? Then how serious are you about funding your dream? Even if they can't help you today, they may be able to down the road or know someone who can. Our best network are those who know us.

I am not the bad guy because I think this forum needs a place for all these requests. I did not tell you not to ask or to go away. I said "give these request a section." What is wrong with that?

In the end, we are all trying to make our businesses work. Most of us are in the same boat!! For those of you who aren't getting this comment, let me break it down:
            • we do not have money to lend
            • we are looking for funding just like you
            • things are tight for us all
            I have to admit, that I wish this subject would go away!

And I understand that I am not helping by responding but as I work freelance (more than 50 hours per week), juggle projects for my small list of clients, try to put together an agency and find time for my family - I take offense at folks trying to make it sound like I either do not understand or am not going through what they are. Just because I do not tell you all my problems and struggles does not mean I don't have them - I choose to keep them to myself. As I think most of the folks here do.

We are no better than anyone, but we are no worse either. We really do understand, but even understanding has its limits. This is not a personal attack - I am trying to get you to understand my situation as much as you want me to understand yours.
                WarrenD Adventurer
                First of all I know my family, and friends, and I have talk to them if you just have to get in my business. Do you think I would go though all that stuff with the SBA, and Score if I could just get it from my friends, and family.The topics is starting a business, and finance and financing, what's wrong with asking about financing in those areas, especially during start-up. Last time I looked on this sites rules not one of them required yuo to read all post or topics. Yes it probably is overdone sometimes, but there's alway other topics and post to read. Warren
                    Iwrite Pioneer
                    See, you are still not listening. I did not ask for a rule btu for a specific place for requests. But you are right about one thing, there are other posts to read. '

Look, it is not personal, if you ever get the money thing straight and need some marketing/advertising help, ask. I'll be glad to help. Until then, good luck.

Iwrite has left this post.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  I'm a little confused by your post. You started two threads prior to this one, and I provided answers to each. You awarded "helpful" points on one. You didn't on the other, but did say "thanks" -- so I concluded that while you appreciated the response, it did you no good. That's fine, I don't hit the mark with every response I make here -- but for me or anyone else in the community to "adjust our sights" and take another shot at helping, you have to provide some feedback about how the first shots missed. The group can't tell you any more than it did to begin with until you tell the group more about what's going on (if that makes sense).
                      WarrenD Adventurer
                      First, again thanks again responding to my post. I apologize for not giving you points for your answers, so I remedy that and awarded the points you do deserve. I did go to the area's you suggested, but like you said the real estate business is very hard to start in right now. I am still pursuing financing, but looking more towards a short term investor. I reevaluated what I can do, if I get short term investor for 15K, I could pay easily 25K within 6 mos. Yes this will still be hard because of the real estate market around the country, but in Ok. properties appeciated in value over the last 4 years. Once again thanks for your advice Warren
                          DomainDiva Ranger
                          FWIW...My angel took a stake in the company first round...second round a loan and I have cashed out one IRA and half of another. When that runs out I will sell the jewelry and cash out the other half of the last IRA. I also work full time and manage two leasing company aircraft portfolios maintenance and put money from what I earn into it as well.

I am going to market...poor..beat up..but I will be there.

If a person wants it bad enough...they will figure it out. Wasting time trying to find loans and funding is just that...... a waste of time. I got my angel funding when he found out I had cashed in my first IRA, he jumped in when he saw that I was committed. His money pays for programming...nothing else...

Investors don't want to loan/invest if the founder is not invested themselves. I see plans all the time for several million dollars and the founder has not one red cent invested except for paper.

For what its' worth......
                              WarrenD Adventurer
                              First thank you very much for your wisdom and advice. Yes I do have skin in the game, and trying for a loan, or an investor is not the only avenue I'm trying, or working on. I've sold just about everything I can,want to buy a kidney, just kidding. The reason I found this site was I was looking for some more info on the Patriot Express Loan for veterans on the BOA site and ended up here. I already went to a couple of banks and talked with them about it. You are right about looking for loans, and investors, especially for help on start-ups. I look at this site now for advce, and learning too. Thanks again for your reply Warren
                                  DomainDiva Ranger
                                  Warren, make a list of everyone you know...then break those names down into money categories (ie: how much each one is worth or could pony up) then go get the money. Good Luck, good to see someone else on the board who is almost one kidney less.. I can SO relate.