Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2008 4:32 PM by puzzleman

small business ideas

dennisgates Newbie
      Where do you go for inspiration for small business ideas? I come up with my best ideas from the local public library. I simply browse the shelves to see what books look interesting, check out a few and read them. Currently, I'm reading through the 'Rich Dad' series, tons of inspiration there.
        • Re: small business ideas
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Hanging out with my teenage sons is an eye opener - what they're wearing, the music they're listening to, the foods they're eating - it all tells you what is going on with them. I pay attention to what grown-ups are doing also. It is really interesting to be around more parents of teenagers and listen to the things they are involved with or doing.

I guess, my inspiration comes from observing people.
            TLRInsnAcc Wayfarer
            I know this may sound funny but King Solomon is know to be the wisest man the ever lived and he as a group of books known as "The Book of Proverbs". The book is mostly written by King Solomon and a few other wise people and has only about 31 small chapters. It's extremely practical and worth looking into!
              LUCKIEST Guide
              small business ideas, Welcome

For inspiration go to SCORE. SCORE is FREE
              SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit
              association dedicated to educating
              entrepreneurs and the formation,
              growth and success of small business nationwide.
              SCORE is a resource
              partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
                rontowns25 Adventurer
                Inspirtaiton can come form many different things. The key is to expand the abilities of your current mindset. 90% of people only use their conscious mind only. The conscious mind is the thing thing that you use to observe, navigate your way around, communicate, etc. The nonconscious mind is much more powerful but can only be tapped into through meditation, neural reconditioning, self-affirmations, etc. By implanting information into your non-consious mind, you increase the amount of good and firepower your sub-conscious has to work with. The result of this are morer "Ah-ha!" moments. Read these two excerpts here...

www.readtheanswer.com/index.php?RTA=web2
                  Bluesuit Adventurer
                  I get inspiration from traveling, esp. internationally. A different culture, a foreign land, always gives me new ideas and a fresh perspective. I just need to take the leap and finally start my own business.
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      Bluesuit,

What type of business are you thinking about starting? Just wondering.
                          Bluesuit Adventurer

this is a response to Iwrite's question. I am a self described foodie. Very interested in starting a food related business. I have friends (potential partners) who are already in the restaurant business and willing to partner with me. Just not sure if I'm ready to take the next step, not to mention the market I am in extremely saturated with many innovative food related concepts.
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              Bluesuuit,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are SF is a true foodie town!! I'm a foodie, too. I worked 8 years for a major chain opening, closing and reorganizing under-performing units. Then once I got into advertising, I worked on advertising campaigns for two of the bigger food chains. If you ever need any advice on marketing for your business, just ask. Most of my friends are still in the businesses.

I say go with Gelato! Or a dessert place!! There used to be a dessert place in Atlanta that was great!!
                          richardthomas Newbie

Me, I get mostly my inspiration at Forbes magazine where they usually feature the top billionaires... You can get a lot of business ideas by joining business networking sites like www.schmoozii.com or linkedin
                            MetroGal Adventurer

Great question. I would love to start my own business own day and I get my ideas from simply day to day living. I always see ways to improve things. Yes, I am a natural complainer.
                              Carexpress Newbie
                              I'd say you start off with what you are interested in. Is it a clothing line, restaurant, corner store, advertising company, etc. When you've decided what you want to do, you will then have to advertise your business to bring in clientele. Once you get your busines started you should include an array of people with different views, backgrounds, and experiences so that you can always have someone to sort your ideas with, or come up with new ideas for your new business. Good luck!
                                snipperred Scout
                                Neat question. I get my inspiration by not finding what I want. It only makes sense not seeing what I want presented, and delivered to my individual preferences represents a market opportunity. Maybe only one out of a million people shares my interests- that's great. That means between the internet and my niche I have an opportunity to do business. More often than not, I think people accept what is available vs. what they really want. So I see plenty of opportunities within mass markets as well. It is the perfect storm for small businesses. Inspiration is easy find, in my view.
                                  puzzleman Tracker
                                  Like others here I get my ideas from talking to my customers, potential customers and non customers. Customers tell me what they like and are looking for. Potentials tell me what is in their mind about what they are searching for. Nons tell me about what I am not doing and what I could be doing as well as realize that there are some people who I will never serve.

all of these people give me starting ideas but where the figure it out and related ideas come from is from driving. I drive 4 to 12 hours at one time to go to do trade shows. I DO NOT have the radio or any other noise maker on. Just letting your mind wander for that many hours, ideas flow to the front as you have all of the other stuff blocking it out of the way.

works for me. Jim