Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2008 12:30 PM by zieggs

starting a business

zieggs Newbie

I am 25 years old, never had my own business and not sure where/what I would like to own. I am tired of working for someone else and would love to get my foot in the door. I have not so great credit, but I do have a 401k with quite a bit saved there already. Can anyone give me some advice on maybe a book to start with or maybe a good website.. Everything I find is pushing me towards a business plan, which after reading up on, I am pretty confident I can come with a nice one.. Just not sure how to go about finding lending for a first time buyer with not so great credit. Also, I almost like the idea of buying someone elses business, any suggestions would help. Side note, is my age going to affect my ability to obtain a business of my own?
        • Re: starting a business
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Starting a business, Welcome

Big difference between starting a business and purchasing a business.
          Being 25, youth is on your side. It is VERY hard to give advice as to what kind of business
          you want to be involved in.
          Suggestion. There is SCORE. SCORE is FREE and can help you both in person (live) or
          online, ALL FREE. It would help if you had some ideas to start.
          Questions. What kind of work are you doing now?? What do your parents do for a living??
          Do any of your friends have the kind of job that would interest you??
          Some times you have to think "outside the box"

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            • Re: starting a business
              zieggs Newbie

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I do have a few ideas on what I would like to open.. some of them are way riskier than others, just not sure the best way to leap into it. I currently work as a 9-5 kind of guy with a security company in sales and resales with residential and commercial customers, and before you go there, I have absolutely no interest in starting a business in that field : ). I have seen you post that SCORE thing in a few other threads, is that a book or website? I have not had parents since I was a child, so parent's business/funding is out of the question. I guess my biggest question comes from how do I get a loan or funding for business without having to save for 20 years? I would love to own my own restaurant, but I know that business is so volatile, also like the idea of something recreational i.e. jetski rental or something outdoorish like that. Right now, I am pretty much up for anything as long as its my own.. I want a business that I can pump tons of hours into because its mine.