Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2008 5:02 PM by Lighthouse24

Business Plan/Start up

songwolffarm Adventurer
      I have a roughly made business plan and would like help in getting it investor perfect
      I have it on disc and can have it online tomorrow as I need to reformat the disc at home

We also need start up and the sooner the better
      We`re opting for 2-3mil which includes buying property, construction, and buying stock(I don`t mean wall street, I mean breeding, racing, and show stock)

My fiance` will be raising Thoroughbreds for the race track, I`ll be dabbling in them for jumping, barrol racing, endurance, trail, parades, halter, maybe even old west shows or war reinactments
      One he has the Thoroughbreds he wants for his starting herd, he wants to raise Gypsy Vanners small scale

I myself plan on raising predominently Appaloosa horses in few spot, leopard, palomino, buckskin, dun, and roan and already have a great start picked out which is between 80-100% FPD which is the Foundation Appy line, instead of all the crosses that have been done with the Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred which rather irritates me.

My minor breed will be the Falabella which is known as the "origional miniature" not to be confused with the American Miniature. They`re decended from Spanish horses brought over by the Conquistadors and when they left, the horses were deserted and interbred with the native pony of Argentina. With constent work the family Falabella worked on refining the breed to what it is today with 3 different body types. The Thoroughbred, the Arabian, and the Appaloosa (and Pinto which now a days is just a colot instead of a breed)

As far as construction, Morton Buildings is what we`ve decided on, and they can be easily found and I believe are the best out there. They offer so much and custome work is their specialty. We plan on having a number of buildings built by them. The only ones not to be built by then would be our home and guest house.

Our horses are basically picked out, ranging from babies born this year, to 10 year old broodmares. Including some very eye catching stallions that will more than pay for themselves in the coming breeding year which we`ll open on Feb. 1st

As far as who we`re competing with in the industry, being a breeder or exhibitor means you work with other people in always improving your breed, so there is no way I can say who our competitors are, as frankly, they`re friends not foe.

Money made is impossible to say, because we don`t know how many stud services will be done, what race winnings we will incure, though if we get our funding we can say with 100 % clarity that we`ll have at least 4? running this year or are running now. 1 colt has already gotten a 3rd place which does earn money.

We can take on credit cards through paypal on our website although it is currently down because we just don`t have any horses or money to pay for the .net account. Without horses, there is no business. All we have to our name is about $5 and a 3 year old Appaloosa which won`t net money as it`s a filly.

Property...570 acres already with a riding arena on it. The price is about 999,000 and it`s agent owned and he`s very flexible and willing to do liens or land contract. I can also show the listing if needed.

If there is anything else needed, feel free to call at 715-331-9528 or email imootoo@animail.net
        • Re: Business Plan/Start up
          songwolffarm Adventurer
          Still awaiting replies, is there something I`ve done wrong that should be adressed or?
            songwolffarm Adventurer
            Nobody has answered yet, I can`t go forward I can only go backwards if nobody helps me out
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              It does seem that you've been "neglected" by the community so far. Just to verify . . . what you are seeking is some outside assistance at making your initial business plan (for a breeding farm) "investor perfect" -- i.e., you intend to use the plan as a key element in your pitch to obtain start-up or seed capital from a private investor, angel, or angel group. Is that basically correct?
                songwolffarm Adventurer
                Yes, I want our business plan "investor friendly"
                That and we`re trying to at least find $2,600 to cover our butts for the week because we`ve hit rock bottom and have started to dig
                Fiance` got laid off, and I`ve been trying to find a job for about a year but without a finished GED (need a extension which I need $60 for)
                Once the GED is finished, I do intend to start a CERT. program to become a dog trainer
                So, yeah, any help via business plan or $2,600 would be great. Trying to work with David Tominus but when we tell other businesses we need their help, they say "it sounds seedy"
                I doubt he`s a scam artist, but I don`t see how we`ll get his help as he says we need to find 3 businesses that need funding that take credit cards:( We`ve asked at least a dozen businesses
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

By "investor friendly," do you mean the business plan's "format" (inviting to look at and organized in a way that a seasoned investor would expect), its "content" (details the will bear up under due diligence, rather than creating questions or concerns), or both of those.

You provided a lot of info in your post about your basic business concept, but what aspect of all that would really excite an investor? Try this exercise. Imagine that you have just bumped into a person with a sincere interest in the breeding business and plenty of readily available capital to invest (maybe the two of you starting talking in line at the bank or at the store or someplace). You only have fifteen seconds to convince him/her that he/she needs to seriously consider this opportunity. What would you say (in just two or three sentences) to really make this person believe he/she had happened across something unique and special? What would you say to convince the person, in 15 seconds, to hand you a business card and ask, "Will you pllease send me your plan?"
                        songwolffarm Adventurer
                        I tried to answer you but the site never posted my reply. That and we basically gave up on the business. Without any money, there is no business. And there is no way to get money unless you have a "normal" business. We`re in an extreme hurry if we get funding, like...it`s needed this week as we HAVE to go up the east coast and pick up horses. Which we can`t do without money. So basically...the business is over. Dreams were meant to be broken.
                            Lighthouse24 Ranger
                            I'm sorry to hear that. Professor Randy Pausch offers a perspective that I try remember when things aren't working out. Maybe it will help you. To paraphrase:

The obstacles you encounter are not there to keep you away from your dream. They're there to keep all the other people away who don't want it as much as you do.

Best wishes in the future.
                        songwolffarm Adventurer
                        I haven`t written it down on paper yet, still writing page 3 lol sore fingers but this sums it up...

In the day of constantly improving technology and sciences you`d think the horse racing industry would improve also but it`s steadily going backwards. Mistakes are often made, which is why Big Brown didn`t win the Belmont. His trainer left a shoe loose! Breeders now a days are looking for that quick buck and think it`s enough to say "So and So is the grandson of Secretariet." But it`s not. You need to do the research before you breed because some lines don`t work together and can`t produce a long distance runner or for that matter, a steeplechaser or sprinter. Maybe all they can produce is a pretty lawn ornament. Care of the horse is normally not up to par and they`re not viewed as living, breathing animals, but more of a commodity. Race horse owners don`t normally become just "horse owners." After the race horse`s career is done, sometimes they`re sent to slaughter or left at the track stable instead of resold to breeding farms or rescues. There should be more funding for rescues in my humble opinion which is why I plan on offering the option on our website to donate through paypal. I know someone we hope to get a racing filly from who also runs a rescue who I will be working with.
                        As far as training goes, the techniques used in the past were far better than those used today. For example, look at Man O` War. Nobody thought he`d amount to anything because he inheritated a mean streak from his father and his fathers father. But he wasn`t actually mean, he was just strong willed and boy did he run his heart out. His training was individual. Instead of picking a pace and sticking to it for every horse in the barn, I believe they should be trained, and raced according to the horse itself.
                        Pushing the horses aside for a moment, as far as our "I hope" property, we plan on living as self-sustainable as we can. Solar panels for solar energy, wind power, growing our own pesticide free food, worm beds for our own fertilizer, home made foods instead of processed foods. And in the long run it`s healthier living for not only us and our family, but the animals as well which can make them healthier and stronger on the track instead of breaking down as so many do these days. The only thing we won`t do is raise animals for meat because once they`re born, they`re a part of the family. In the area we live, self sustainable living is rather important and our town I believe was the 2nd community in Wisconsin to adopt that way of life with Washburn being the 1st which is the next town over to the South.
                        Another thing we plan on doing is running a small gift shop at the farm where all the profits goes into the retired race horse rescue. And we plan on involving the public. We will open the farm in the warmer months to the public where they can get hands on experience with a Thoroughbred racing and breeding facility and understand we`re not the bad guys for "running horses" we`re the goods guys trying to educate them about the proper way to care for the race horse. I would also love to someday be a role model for young girls who want to pursue careers with horses. In the future when finances are right where we want them to be, we`d like to donate money to community projects and programs that are dedicated to improving living conditions as well as helping troubled youth. Public speaking will be anothing thing we plan on doing, maybe doing seminars at the farm and in local towns about a number of subjects pertaining to the general care of horses and other animals as well as going into the race horse industry and it`s aspects.
                        If there`s anything else you`d like more information about feel free to let me know