Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 12:58 PM by DomainDiva

How do we create an event, or become an Expert here?

Mergent Adventurer
      SBOC Community Team,

My name is Brian Mosko, and I own Mergent Planning, based out of Las Vegas, NV. I am looking to either become an expert or to create an event so that small business owners can ask me questions about planning their new business.

Please feel free to contact me at 702-538-1798 or brian@mergentplanning.com so that we can discuss this possibility. Also, I am looking at creating a seminar series on planning a business, and I would like to discuss possibly working together with you on this project.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

Brian Mosko
      Mergent Planning
        • Re: How do we create an event, or become an Expert here?
          patriciaprata Newbie
          Hi Brian

I own a event related company, check out my old website, I will have a new one soon :
          sambadancesuperstar.com
          This is a very profit business and I will be in Las Vegas October 4.
          I read yoir posting and I would like more information.
          Thanks
          Patricia
            BizGuru Wayfarer

In order to be called an "expert" in whatever you want to do, and in this case, small business, you want to build credibility in the community.

Credibility will come from experience and valid client testimonials as well as good word-of-mouth.

I recommend some of the following ways to become an expert
            1. Start with speak engagements in colleges and universities
            2. Use the experience there to get on TV shows and radios
            3. Get coverage in magazines and newspaper publications
            4. Use all of the above to write a book - you can even self publish it

As you can see, it is a time intensive process which requires building awareness in the communty combined with credibility.

As an example of how to use your experience to spread your knowledge in the community, you can see the website of our Business Coaching program: www.MBAonaShoeString.com

Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.
              DomainDiva Ranger
              Garage.com does 'bootcamps' for start ups. You may want to take a look at their website to get some ideas.

I went to one in NY in 2001, It was presented mostly from the Venture Capital side...how to get investment dollars etc. However as we know there is SO much more. Having some kind of 'event' where small business people can come together would be a great thing.

Do you want to really become 'the expert' ? It seems to me that there would be too many areas that you would have to be an expert in. It would be better to have a myriad of 'experts' in specialized fields and even one or two real life stories about product development, launch etc.

For example, I am the DomainExpert in my start up. Thats it. I do not write code, design, perform accountant or attorney functions or plan large events. By focusing strictly on what I am supposed to do, the product is better, I communicate more clearly with my team and there is less stress. (However I am also the CEO....its a small team and I have back up).

A good source would also be Cliff Ennico. He has a small business survival book that is second to none.