Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 1:35 AM by totogo

How come I dont get any traffic at my free classified site?

nycfam Newbie
      I have a classified site at http://www.chaimex.com and I believe it has the potential to really be a great site if given the attention it deserves. However even since I launched, I have been having problems with getting traffic. I dont really have the capital to re-design the site like I wanted, making things much more simpler, interactive and unique, nevertheless I believe that users should be interested in posting and finding free classified listings online. I dont understand why I am still getting few posts lately. Can I get some honest critique and help here. Of maybe I should just close down and get back up later. www.chaimex.com free classified listing.
        • Re: How come I dont get any traffic at my free classified site?
          cartess3 Wayfarer
          For starters... it looks like you've simply copied Craigslist.com model down to the "t".
          http://dallas.craigslist.org/

There is nothing original or unique about what you're doing. It's safe to say that Craigslist has your market locked down with regards to a classified ads website. I'm not saying they can't be beaten, but you've copied basically every single thing they have on their site to yours...

If you wish to compete, you need to differentiate yourself from Craigslist. In fact, you'd probably get better results if you just specialized in one category. There really are riches in the niches... if you want to do local antique classified ads, then do that... if you want to specialize in classified ads for people who wish to sell used Maternity clothes then do that. But pick a niche and carve it out and become the come to guy (or lady) for that niche.

It's easier to find people who'll need your services versus trying to be everything to everybody.

Hope this helps!
          Cartess Ross

http://www.webmediaavenue.com
            HumanArrow Adventurer
            Hello,

You need to add a tagline so that people can know what chaimex.com does. In addition, I recommend that you promote your website to attract visitors. I understand that you may not have the capital, but there are cost effective ways to advertise your site such as social networking sites, etc.

Human Arrow
            Directing Traffic To Your Business!
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/humanarrow
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

I think Cartess3 is right on the money -- there's nothing distinctive, no niche, no competitive edge. It locks you into an endless loop where nobody is going to list unless there are potential buyers visiting, and nobody is going to visit unless there are listing to search. As suggested, picking a specific niche and becoming known as THE site for that niche would help you start building momentum.

The domain name may not be helping either. When I saw chaimex, I instantly thought chai (tea) + mex (from south of the border) = some kind of unique spicy version of an Indian or Middle Eastern tea (which soundsl ike kind of an interesting product when you think about it). Of course, the VERY FIRST time I heard "craigs list," I envisioned some 15-year-old posting his top ten video games, CDs. movies, etc. -- so the name is obviously not a showstopper in itself.

I hope you can find a niche and drive your traffic up. Best wishes.
                Green1 Adventurer
                I will add my 2 cents worth to the great answers you already received.

In this day and age everyone that goes into an online business expects to have immediate results and for most, including me, is just not the case. I believe there business entrepreneurs that experience excellent results basically overnight but they are far and few between. For most of us a lot of planning and work goes into building our business. This generally takes a great deal of patience to grow a and have positive results.

To end your business and start again in future will still require dedication, fortitude and patience to get the end result.

Good luck
                  SOHOguru Wayfarer
                  How have things come along for you since you posted? Check out BeCanada. They developed software way back in 1997 or 98 (somewhere in there) that takes a person's classified ad that they plug into the program and posts it automatically to the free sites that BeCanada includes in their lists.

This service is FREE from BeCanada for free classified sites. Awesome deal and builds your traffic and classified postings very quickly.

Cheers!
                  Karen
                    unclefester Wayfarer
                    Hello

To be honest it looks an awfull lot like Craigs list. The name has no meaning and now way for it to "stick" in someones mind. It does not list all fifty states, being from Oregon this list would have no use to me. I do use Craigslist all the time, I would use yours also if it was in Portland, Oregon.

Hope I dont sound to critical, just trying to be honest. Thanks for listening.

Tim aka Uncle Fester
                        BrassJmes Adventurer
                        I'll add my own bit to these advices
                        What have you done to promote your business online? there are many free as well as not-so-free services out there that help promoting your brand on the net..
                        There are a lot of online business promoters out there, some are more efficient and some are less... the hard question is who to choose from.
                        My suggestion is learn the terrain. make yourself more knowledgeable in terms of internet marketing and SEO (search engine optimization) and follow your instincts
                        You could always start with free services... there's no harm in that 1....

Another way I recommend of to promote your business is branding yourself on the web. Services like LookupPage, or LinkedIn (though that's mainly social networking... still gets the job done though) are very easy, very user-friendly and take no time at all to set up
                        Just link your profile to your business too increase incoming traffic

Just one thing I'd like to add - what Green1 said is very truely correct, and very important to remember:
                        In this day and age everyone that goes into an online business expects
                        to have immediate results and for most.
                        including me, is just not the
                        case. I believe there business entrepreneurs that experience excellent
                        results basically
                        overnight but they are far and few between. For most
                        of us a lot of planning and work goes into building our business.
                        This
                        generally takes a great deal of patience to grow a and have positive
                        results.

hope this helped
                        Jmes

Links:
                        www.lookuppage.com
                        www.linkedin.com
                        totogo Wayfarer

Try writing articles on topics related to advertising and classifieds and post them to article directories to get widespread distribution of your links. If you write informative useful articles you encourage clicks back to your website through the links you provide in the author resource box. You can gradually build traffic to your website through article marketing campaigns.

If you don't have the time to write the articles we can do that for you at:

Bluegrass Solutions

All the best...and don't give up...it takes time to market an online business.