Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 6:07 PM by LUCKIEST

Online Decor Business Start-Up

jks123 Newbie

I am in the process of researching (and plan to start) an online business that fills a specific niche in Home Decor/Home & Garden decor. I have a few questions that I would appreciate any advice, input, suggestions and/or feedback.

1) What do you think are realistic revenue expectations for an online retail start-up for this type of business? I have no idea of how to forecast this number. I know there are a lot of factors to consider, such as marketing, web design, product offering, price points, service etc, but I am curious what a realistic expectation might be for 1st year, 2nd, 5th, etc

2) My plans are to start out with a semi-generic ecommerce site in order to keep costs low.. I have researched Yahoo's ecommerce solutions, google's, go daddy's, and Volusion. I don't think I will do the "free" design templates, but it would be a templated www. to start out with. Does anyone have any feedback on the best service to use? I was impressed by Volusions products and they charge a flat monthly fee rather than taking a % of profit.

3) As for products, I have found some wholesalers in the US that I am interested in using, but some of these are also selling to my competitors. I hesitate to use too many of the same suppliers b/c I want to differentiate my company from my competitors. I started searching on alibaba, tradekey etc and have found many manufacturers with products that I love. The problem is that I don't want to carry tons of inventory (actually would prefer to have none), but if I do have to carry some inventory I know it would not be container loads. Is there a way to partner with other businesses/organizations that also import products and "share" in the shipping costs.

Also, what other avenues could I take to get some of these unique products....contact distributors who import these products?

4) Do most online retailers carry inventory? If so, how much?

5) Does anyone know how I can find a list of sales reps, distributors, wholesalers etc that are specific to the Home Decor business....and even outdoor decor (Home & Garden).

I think that is it for now. Thank you in advance for any help.
        • Re: Online Decor Business Start-Up
          INTELLI Wayfarer
          The best way to do marketing by having a website.

If you need any help with the website or a customized software's. Let us know. We have a great software that can help you run the business efficiently. Here is the company profile:

We specialize in web design and development, enhanced web services, automation, customized software's, back end database development (SQL 2005, Oracle) using the latest technology either by using Microsoft, Java Or PHP, our technical people are optimized and trained with it and available locally or outsourced based on your requirements. For additional details please visit us at www.intelliworldtech.com

We are currently working with a few clients to do their websites, integration with our proprietary software and other services. We are also linked with our sister company in India that supports some of our clients to achieve their objectives including providing a full time web developers, database administrators and network management.

Our prime goal is customer satisfaction and we go to extreme lengths to get this accomplished. Also, we use our proprietary software "Notebook" to give the clients a real time view of the projects in progress and their deadlines. Together with the technological know-how combined with the proprietary software and some brilliant minds at work gives us an edge over our competitors in terms of fixed budget projects.

For further information, please contact Jessica at info@intelliworldtech.com.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Online Decor Business Start-Up, Welcome

I could write a book answering your questions.
            First of all Who are you?? Where are you??
            How can i contact you?? Do you have a phone number or email??

Do you know about SCORE??

MORE to follow, LUCKIEST
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Online Decor Business Start-Up, Welcome

I could write a book answering your questions.
              First of all Who are you?? Where are you??
              How can i contact you?? Do you have a phone number or email??

Do you know about SCORE??

MORE to follow, LUCKIEST