Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 12:20 PM by caffeinated

Boom in Business

caffeinated Scout
      Boston had a parade for the world champion Boston Celtics yesterday. We had a record high in sales! I'm talking 3x our previous record high! If only we were in business when the Partiots won their 3 Superbowls and the Red Sox won their 2 World Series. Major sports teams have a huge impact on local businesses, its almost ridiculous. As high as tickets prices are, and as much traffic as games cause, I'm thrilled to have these teams around me. Now we just need to have the Bruins to become a contender.

Anyone else have an experience like this? Doesn't necessarily have to be a sports team. Could be an annual convention, charity event, block party, etc...
        • Re: Boom in Business
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Boom in Business

Yes, That is what keeps business in Boston, N Y C, Las Vegas, and all the other cities (big and small)
          with sport teams and convention centers competing.
          Look at the Super Bowl or World Series.
            Iwrite Pioneer
            I managed a pizza chain when the Georgia Dome opened and the Olympics came to Atlanta - talk about great sells! But my biggest boost came from what used to be called, "Freaknik" which later became the Black College Students Springbreak and the Arts Festival - each event saw over 5,000 mini pizzas sold in a day.

I have been telling people on this forum to get out into the community because doing so has always made me money. All of the events you mentioned can be used to boost business. When I was in Ohio, we had a local ice cream shop that would deliver treats to the offices around it as long as the order met their minimum. The agency I worked for would order every Thursday during the summer, and the orders were at least 8 people ordering sundaes, milkshakes and other premium items. It got to the point that we would hold client meetings on Thursday so that we could order ice cream. And we weren't the only business in the building doing so.

Find out what is going on in and around your business and find a way to get involved.
                caffeinated Scout
                Great personal experience Iwrite! I definitely want to look into community events. It being summertime, a lot of communities have town picnics and whatnot. I can myself setting up a tent or booth and handing out free iced coffee samples. I think it would be a ton of fun too
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Large groups (in any setting) are always less inhibited than smaller groups.

A large group, when they're happy, feels better about themselves and everyone around them. They are friendlier, laugh more easily, offer help more readily -- and yes, spend more money than a smaller group. I see it in my business at seminars and conferences.

There is, unfortunately, another side sometimes. A large group, when they're angry, can be a problem. They're more likely to be destructive or violent than a smaller group.

For brick-and-mortar retailers, that's the double-edged sword. A location that brings the high traffic benefit of professional sports franchise celebrations, holiday street parties or parades, major running events, etc. can also be a popular site for political protests and social demonstrations. If you have 200,000 people in the middle of the street in front of your store celebrating a victory, a lot of them will come in, and a lot of them will spend more than a normal customer would on a "regular" day. However, if you have 100,000 people on your side with a controversial cause, and 100,000 people on the other side of the street who hate their guts, that's an altogether different experience for the local business owner.

I'm glad Boston had a good celebration and that your business profited. Congratulations on both!
                    Iwrite Pioneer
                    Lighthouse,

Thank you for that! I don't think people understand the dynamics of large groups.

Another thing I want to mention is:

PLEASE RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO RAISE YOUR PRICE FOR AN EVENT UNLESS YOU HAVE TO INCURRED UNUSUALLY HIGHER BUSINESS COST TO PARTICIPATE!

I have seen it come back and bite a business. No one likes to discover they paid higher than the regular price, even after the fact. I once printed up a sign educating my customers that the price at an event reflected additional business costs and was not the regular cost of our product. It seemed to help, my regular customers who attended the event commented about the costs. Once they understood that I had fees associated with the event that raised the price, they were fine with it.

Good luck.
                      caffeinated Scout
                      Lighthouse24, that was unfortunately what the city of Boston saw the night the Celtics clenched the championship. Storefronts were smashed in, flower planters were overturned, newspapers stands were knocked over and trash can were lit on fire. Luckily, my store was unharmed. To your point, location location location might not be key in this instance.
                      flex_00 Wayfarer
                      I 100% agree with getting involved with the community. I'm a personal trainer and I partner every year with a yoga and pilates instructor. We hold a couple free sessions on the beach between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The turnout is unbelievable and the buzz afterwards turns into booking more clients for me and my partners. Great way to meet people and network and its fun at the same time.