Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 8:05 PM by NewBaby

New Comic Book Publishing Company

NewBaby Wayfarer
      I am looking to self-publish my new comic book series. Two issues worth of art is already created and ready for print. I am just looking for extra funds to be able to offset some of the printing costs. I am already looking at selling ad space, but because I am not a marketing person the process is slow.

Any ideas for my new company are appreciated. I have talked to several distributors to get the book into comic book specialty shops. I would like to eventually expand the line of comics so that monthly offerings are available, and look at different distribution options such as book stores and magazine selling points.

Thanks!
        • Re: New Comic Book Publishing Company
          LUCKIEST Guide
          New Comic Book Publishing Company, Welcome Eric

I love comic books and wish you good luck with New Baby Productions,
          an independent comic book publisher formed in 2008.

How much extra funds are you looking for?? and for How long??

I am a SCORE Counselor and great at marketing. SCORE talks about developing both a Business
          and Marketing Plan. SCORE is FREE and can help you succeed.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
              NewBaby Wayfarer

I am looking for approximately $20,000 to pay for printing costs of the first three issues and to secure some advertising in some industry publications. That number would be lower if print ads are able to be sold within the books.

After that, the thought is that enough revenue would be generated to support the production of future issues of the series and eventually grow the business with more titles.
                  Iwrite Pioneer
                  Depending on the subject matter, you may want to contact the soda and candy companies - they are always looking to reach more consumers. Cars and cereal have also moved into advertising in comic books.

Look at the Marvel and DC titles and see what companies are advertising there and go after them also.

What type of comic are you creating? Me and my friends are heavy collectors.
                      NewBaby Wayfarer

Thanks Iwrite. Those are the types of companies I have thought of. The problem is that they aren't interested in advertising with small press books. I really need a good Advertising Sales Agent/Representative with some experience, as marketing is not my specialty and I am lost figuring out where to begin.

For info on our book, please see a previous press release at:
                      http://www.elementalfources.com/pr_EF.pdf
                          Iwrite Pioneer
                          NewBaby,

What questions do you have? Not the broad ones, the more specific ones and I will see if I can help you answer them.

As for finding sales help, maybe look at contacting a local newspaper advertising sales rep and seeing if they might be interested in some extra money to assist you with this. They will already have contacts and they are familiar with selling print which is very important.
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              NewBaby Wayfarer
                              Sorry Iwrite, I'll try to get more to the point.

For those that have had experience,
                              1) What other distribution opportunities are available, such as newstand and book stores? And what is the best way to get my books into those channels?
                              2) What is the best way to secure funds for printing? Are there investors who might be interested?
                              3) How can I get advertisers to consider advertising in my book? (Seems to be already answered)

Thanks!
                                  Iwrite Pioneer
                                  Thanks. I think Lighthouse it on some really great advice.

1) The best way to get into those channels is going to be to knock on some doors. Don't forget college book stores and music stores. I would even contact your local comic book stores and see about hosting an event. Demand drives everything. If you can show demand - it will help make the sales easier.

2) Think small. Open it up to friends and family where they can invest for as little as $100 per person. Put together a short presentation and sell them on the idea. This will help with bigger investors

3) I would print a very short run of samples without ad space, and get them in front of advertisers. Let them read and hold them so that they know that you are serious. Maybe even show them where their ad would go. Include a review or reference from a comic book store owner, a professional endorsement. Sometimes you have to zig where others zag, who would you think should advertise in comic books but doesn't and has the budget to do so? The US Armed Forces. Start with local recruitment and then spread out. Don't forget the Coast Guard and the Reserves. Remember, they have to use thier moeny or lose it. MADD and Partnership for a Drug-free America are good too.
                        Bridge Navigator
                        Put it on-line! Split each comic into smaller parts and updated the website weekly. As your viewership grows (eyeballs or "hits"), you can charge more for ad space.

You also can reach a much wider audience at a fraction of teh distribution cost.

Plublication cost on the net is virtually nil and you can use adsense or other advertsising to monetize the site.

Google and Yahoo pay per click can be used to attract initial customers.

The key to a successful site if constantly new content so that people come back.

Greg
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                          For people who regularly deal with graphic novel marketing, advertising, distribution, etc. six (6) issues seems to be a "magical" starting number. So part of the reason the process may be slow, and that you are perceiving a lack of interest, is that you have only two print-ready issues at this point.

There are an astounding number of artists/authors who approach the same people you are probably approaching with new comic book ideas. Experience has told marketers, advertisers, printers, and distributors that the new ideas are often just a whim or trial balloon ("I'll pitch this and see if I can get some money for it"), rather than a serious enterprise, vocation, storyline, and characters that the artist/author has dedicated his/her life to developing. I don't know why, but having six issues print-ready seems to tell them you're committed and you've got what it takes. So my suggestion would be to draw the next four before you start seeking or spending significant money on getting the product to market.

Hope that helps. Best wishes.
                              NewBaby Wayfarer
                              Thanks Lighthouse24. I agree that six finished issues would be best before attempting to go to market, and I would do it if I could. I've already spent significant money through the use of work-for-hire agreements with pencillers, an inker/colorist, and a letterer. So, gaining some revenues sooner will allow me to continue production.
                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

There are other ways to launch and market a new comic -- a variety of "grassroots," underground, and viral approaches have been effective for other creators in the past.

If you're going for large-scale marketing through existing (traditional) channels, however, you may have to do it on their terms. Here's the bigger picture: (1) You have six issues print-ready; (2) Potential advertisers review the six issues to decide what products to advertise (they need more than two issues to accurately project the size, growth, and demographic of the readership and following); (3) You seek investors so you can get the money to have first six issues printed; (4) Potential investors evaluate the six issues to project their return on investment (they need more than two issues to estimate the revenue potential that could come from sales, advertising, merchandising, and licensing -- and having looked at your overview, there could be licensing potential, I think); (5) Distributors place a buy order for six issues printed, coded, and ready to ship (their warehouse, transportation and accounting processes are highly automated, and the distribution centers, jobbers, and retailers have to make space and set up the systems to handle your product -- there's a cost to them for that, and they need more than a couple of issues to assure enough sales and profit to recover that initial cost).

As I said, all these key people have already seen too many brilliant one or two issue concepts that never went anywhere and ended up costing them money -- so how quickly and smoothly everything falls into place with them begins with step 1 (having six issues ready).

Since money to prepare the next four issues is an obstacle for you, I'd think in terms of what you have to offer to friends, family, and future fans that could quickly raise funds to get those other four done ASAP -- or else consider pursuing a less traditional path to market (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that).

I truly hope you can move forward one way or the other. It looks like a series with interesting potential! Good luck.
                                dnubie1 Newbie
                                Dear New Baby: Having worked for a comic book company, the TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, keep this in mind. The reason the two creators, Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman, are so wealthy is because Marvel, DC, and at the time Archie comics weren't interested. They borrowed money from an uncle, printed the books, stood on the street and handed them out, eventually people wrote them to find out the next saga of the book, they printed more, sold more and so on, then they kept the rigths hired a licensing agent and walla, they took off. But because they had to do it themselves with the help of an agent, they made millions. Also, I have been along time out of touch as they sold out after they grew tired and rich, but check into Kevin Eastman, he does alot with comic writers and used to always be interested in new talent and to help fellow comic artists. Kitchen Sink Press is another place to inquire and might give you direction as to possible investors. Hope this helps. Hang in there, as noted by another in the forum, keep trying to print new issues as the TMNT creators did. Comic people will get interested, don't give up.
                                Dnubie