Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2008 5:03 PM by flex_00

Pay as you go phone?

devaney Adventurer

Since my wife doesn't use her cell phone very often I was thinking about getting her one of these. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pay as you go phone? How much can I expect to pay for it? How many minutes do I get each month and what if I go over? I'm only familar with the 2 year plan engagements. Appreciate the recommendations on how this works, providers, etc.
        • Re: Pay as you go phone?
          flex_00 Wayfarer
          Is this pay by the minute plans you're referring to? I started my daughter on one of these and it was great cause it only cost $20/month...which is basically 10cents a minute. But (there's always a but right), if you dont purchase minutes every month, then your unused minutes expire. I would look into family plans with your current service provider or adding a line to your account...I think its only 10 bucks more a month.

good luck
            devaney Adventurer

Yes, looking for a mobile phone that isn't tied to a year long contract: so yes, paying by the minute is exactly what I am interested in. Wasn't sure what it was called. Is it possible to use an existing phone to pay by the minute? Or do I need to buy their special phone? If so, what companies do you recommend and/or what phone models?
                flex_00 Wayfarer
                I used Virgin Mobile and had no issues with customer service or the service itself. I hear Boost is ok too. That's a good question about needing to buy a "special" phone. I just bought mine from Virgin, but it might be worth looking into if you can use your existing cell phone. There's always that LOCKED/UNLOCKED issue when switching service providers. As far as models, its all personal preference. I dislike flip phones so much that I only look at the candybar-style or sliders