Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2008 4:22 PM by Iwrite

can you use namebrands when advertising for consignment shop

frankandlisa Newbie
      hi i am running a consignemnt resale clothing store and am wondering if you can use namebrands in your advertising-such as abercrombie gymboree etc
        • Re: can you use namebrands when advertising for consignment shop
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Be very careful. There are some brands that protect both their name and their image. This has to be approached on a case by case situation. I think you could generate more interest for your business by NOT mentioning them. You advertising could have the brand name marked out or the name bleep out of your radio or blurred out of TV and print. People who become naturally curious as to what is going on and that would drive them to your store.

This could really be great. Now, if you do want to mention the names, consult your lawyer. I have had clients who counted the costs an decided it was worth it to mention a name and wait for the other company's lawyers issue a cease and desist order, but by then they had gotten their message out.

I think you can have more fun and create more interest by not mentioning the names.

But consult a lawyer.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Even stores like Ross Dress for Less sometimes have the designer names blocked out if the item is something like JJill or Gucci. I have several pieces I have purchased for nothing with the 'name' blocked out. I also shop at a consignment shop in Highland Park that carries mostly designer items...labels are not blocked out but they do not advertise designer(s), however the clientele knows and word of mouth is great advertising. (Yes they have Manolos...)

If you have a lot of designer clothing, shoes, bags etc....put them in a special section in the store called Designer Goodies (or something like that). When advertising you can use the phrase 'upscale and luxury brands available', or use in the case of Gymboree/Abercrombie 'name brands available'. or "Come browse our gently worn luxury items...."

Be sure to set these special name brands and upscale items apart from the general merchandise....then watch them go out the door! Everyone loves a good deal on nice things.

Be sure to differentiate between luxury (Coach, Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Versace); upscale (Kenneth Cole Reaction, Ralph Lauren Polo, Tommy Hilfiger), and name brand Abercrombie, Gymboree, OshKosh B'Gosh...etc.

If you have a lot of nice things and good helpful service you are going to make a bundle...women tell other women where the good deals are. You are located.....where?
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Name brands when advertising for consignment shop, Welcome to this web site.

Where are you located?? And how long have you been in the business??

It has been my belief that when one goes to a consignment store (like a pawn shop)
              you never know what you will find and the merchandise is alway changeing.

To advertise, you would need an inventory of "abercrombie gymboree".

Good luck, LUCKIEST
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                frankandlisa Newbie
                i am located in tn and have been open for about 2 mths-i am gpoing to have a coupon in the advertisement called the money saver and in that we put the name brands to catch peoples eye to get them to start browsing -since we are a new business right now we are pretty much relying on word of mouth sicne not everyone reads the paper (i dont)-i have a continous supply of abercrombie hollister gymboree items that re new with tags and depending on what i can pick it up for i mark it half of the tag price-i have the ad fixed if anyone would like to look at it-well the magazine fixed it for me and before i replied to them that it was ok i wanted to make sure i wouldnt get in trouble for using there names