Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2008 4:45 PM by Fruitlady1114

Just started my own business /Seeking Advice

Fruitlady1114 Newbie
      HI I just started a fruit arrangement company about 3 months ago in Michigan. I am working out of my home right now ..meanwhile I am working the standard 9-5...I would love to to this full time but the income is not there yet. Im not sure if I need to be looking for an investor? Im wondering what would be beneficial ways to advertise? All advise is appreicated !
        • Re: Just started my own business /Seeking Advice
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Hello and welcome.

You are looking for exposure and to create awareness. There are a lot of ways to do that but I am going to recommend getting your product in front of people. Offices, recording studios, advertising agencies - any business that rely heavily on making a great impression are perfect for you to drop off a sample of your work with a few cards and any printed materials you may have. Yes, this is going to be hard with a 9-5 but it is a great way to get your name out there. Dropping arrangements at a few radio stations won't hurt.

Yours is a visual sell - you are going to need a website that displays your work beautifully. But please do not rely on the web entirely, direct mail and print are going to be a huge part of your marketing plan. Have GREAT photos taken of your arrangements, and spend as much time thinking about the design of the direct mail or printed piece as spend creating your arrangements. People infer quality because of how well designed the piece is, the higher the quality, the higher the price people are willing to pay. The same is true for your website.

Can you do TV? Yes, but you are going to get more bang for your buck by going low tech. Introduce yourself to as many wedding planners and caters as you can. Visit finer dinng establishments and hotels. Get your product in front of interior designers and decorators. Pound the pavement. It can be as simple as having an arrangement dropped off with a nice note with business cards.

Yes, this is more work but the return on your dollar is going to be greatest.

I have seen this work really well. It is about getting out there.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Fruitlady1114 Newbie
              THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR REPLY.. I HAD NO IDEA HOW TO GO ABOUT ADVERTISING MY BUSINESS BECAUSE IT IS SOMEWHAT RARE.......THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... I LOVE IT !!!!!
              ALSO I MADE A WEBSITE.. ITS NOT THE BEST BUT IF YOU WOULDNT MIND LENDING ME YOUR ADVICE ON IT I WOULD APPRECIAT IT AND TAKE IT IN..
              ITS WWW.FRUITSOTS.COM. THANKS AGAIN !
                  Iwrite Pioneer
                  You're so welcome. I already went to your site.

The site is a great beginning. I say beginning because after you are established, pay someone to shoot your photos and someone else to design your site. Your current site provides me with enough information to decide if I want to order from you. Your next site will need to be designed to make me want to order from you. There is a slight difference in messaging and tone involved. Would I do that now? No. Focus on your off line efforts to build your business. Once I have tried one of your arrangements, if it is really good - I don't care what your site looks like.

Luckiest is right! Please have everything in place. Also, I think summer camps, schools and churches would be a great market for you also. Getting involved in the community is always a good thing.

Be patient. There will be some closed doors but if you stick to it you'll be fine. And there are people here willing to offer up some advice. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. If you need anything else, just ask.
                    mmunsee Newbie
                    Hello,

This is somewhat of advice, I run my own small business from home as well doing website design, and I took a look at your website, I recommend something more professional and appealing to the eye. I could help you in that area if you are interested. You can get in touch with me by email at mmunsee@flexia-arts.com
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  Just started my own business /Seeking Advice

Welcome Fruitlady, Advice is easy and FREE

Do you have a Business Name?? Have you registered with the I R S??
                  and Received a Federal I D Number??

Again one of the best ways to advertise is FREE. Do something in town to help a cause
                  (like Cancer or Homeless or over weight). Get the local newspaper to write a story.
                  Be part of town events like the 4th of July celebration and get your company known.

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and can help you succeed both in person
                  or on line. I am a SCORE counselor and we advise developing a Business Plan.

Good luck, LUCKIEST

Fruitlady1114 Newbie
                    Luckiest and Iwrite ! I am so grateful you all took the time to lend me advice that i am definetly going to put into action. Like forestated i just stared and have so much to learn and i appreciate your help...more than my words can express !

Thank you thank you thank you a million times!
                      EDGworks Newbie
                      Hi Kim,

I just checked out your site and it looks like you are off to a great (delicous!) start. One thing I might suggest is delivering a basket to your local radio personality...they most likely will announce that it arrived from you, and how "cool" it is. Even better if it is a birthday or special anniversary. I have to tell you, the prices you charge are VERY reasonable. I recently ordered an Edible arrangement and it was in the 60+ range with delivery.

Wish you the best,

Kimberly

Kimberly McHale
                      www.executivedirectorgroup.com
                          Fruitlady1114 Newbie
                          Thank you very much Kim ! i know I have a lot to learn yet..but im encouraged to stick it out ! i love the advice ,constructive critism, and good words I am receiving on this line.. I want to learn all I can.... I know edible arrangements is very pricey!...so I am definetly trying to come with a betterdeal and a better product ! :)....Thank you taking time to reply.....
                          Fruitlady1114 Newbie
                          Good Idea Caffinated ! Competitive anaylsis is an EXCELLENT IDEA ! Thank you