Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 2:58 PM by songwolffarm

Idea about a tea house

Summerclub Newbie

My wife is an expert on Chinese tea and its culture. She has this idea of opening a high-end tea house in an upscale neighborhood serving tea and also sell high grade tea leaves and tea accessories. I like the tea she made for me and appreciate the sophisticated flavor and pleasant smells when she mixing the tea with herbs and flowers. I am also aware of the heath benefits of tea over coffee or other soft drinks. In my opinion the tea she made is like good wine minus the alcohol. But I am not sure there is enough mass awareness and a big enough market to support a high-end tea house.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or advice on the viability of the idea.

Thanks,
      John
        • Re: Idea about a tea house
          Summerclub Newbie
          Quite a few people viewed the post but no replies. Maybe I should make it a survey.

A. If you pass by such a tea store with exquisite display of tea accessories would you at least go in and take a look?
          B. Would you be willing to at lease try a cup of tea?
          C. Do you think we should also offer some snacks? Sandwichs?
          D. Should we offer coffee on the side?

If we decide to go with the idea we may need help with funding and would appreciate pointers about how to raise the start up find.

Thanks,
          John
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

As for your survey questions:
              A. Probably not.
              B. Yes, if it was convenient.
              C. Yes, if your customers expect it (I'd expect it).
              D. Yes, if your customers expect it (plus it's a low cost, high margin item).
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Summerclub Newbie
                  Thanks to Lighthouse24 and LUCKIEST. I just joined the community and have already noticed you are two of those most helpful members.

To answer your question, we are in Orlando and are looking at an area close to turist destination and afluent neighborhood with high traffic. The target consumers are health conscious 20 - 50 years olds with disposable income and some free time.

As pointed out by Lighthouse24, we are also aware there is a trend of people becoming more and more interested in tea. In the whole Orlando area there are currently about 5 tea houses with different emphasis but not in the area we are targeting.

In terms of background, I have no experience with retail or food business other than as a consumer. My wife had run a tea house and several other stores in the past but not in US.

We are in the process of drafting a business plan.

Thanks,
                  John
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Idea about a tea house, Welcome to this web site

You said that you appreciate any comments, suggestions, or advice on the viability of the idea.

First tell us where you are (like City and State)??. Next, What is your background??
                Suggestion, Develop a Business Plan, Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE
                and they can help you both in person and online
                A Business Plan services as a tool to reaffirm the viability of your ideas.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

Welcome to the community. You indicate, "I'm not sure there is . . . a big enough market to support a high-end tea house."

The purpose in developing a business plan (which includes a market analysis) is so you can be sure before investing your time and money. Of course, a solid business plan will also be necessary if you intend to ask other people to invest their money to help you get started.

The Chinese-style tea house that you are describing (where people gather to chat, meet for first dates, socialize after a play or movie, and of course, enjoy tea and snacks) is a very viable idea. Its success depends at least as much (probably more) on creating the right atmosphere in the right location for the potential market as it does on having expertise in teas.

What market are you trying to reach (people, demographic)? Where are those people, and where would your business need to be located (city, neighborhood/locale) to serve them? Is that area saturated with competing businesses already, or wide open? How would your new business reach this market and draw customers? What would those people expect from your business in terms of products you offer, the service you provide, atmosphere, operating hours, etc.? What type of enterprise would be necessary to satisfy these expectations? What problems might establishing, opening, and running this enterprise create for you, and how would you solve those problems?

If you can answer some of those questions, by all mean do so here -- and I'm sure that many in this community will have input to help you move forward. If you can't answer those questions yet, don't worry -- it's a starting place for your business plan. Tea houses have actually been a very popular type of business to start-up in the U.S. over the past four or five years, so there should be ample resources and experience out there to draw on as you proceed.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                    Icanhelp Newbie
                    Nice idea!!...a small venue in artist community maybe a small gallery a poetry night you are right on sir show you support your wife if you can swing it money wise...peace
                      jnees1023 Wayfarer
                      I think it's a great idea! There are a lot of high end tea rooms and houses sprouting up across the nation. I found this link for you. I hope it is helpful in getting you started. Good Luck!

http://www.morebusiness.com/tea-room-busi
                      ness-plan

Jackie Nees
                      Integrity Office Solutions
                      www.integrityofficesolutions.com
                        MKTG.com.au Adventurer
                        Hi

You should read this book called A Year in The Merde - its about an English guy who starts a tea house in France. It will help you work out if you are on the right track and will give you interesting insight.

Good luck

mktg.com.au
                          Icanhelp Newbie
                          summerclub...how did u make out?...are u going for it? Let me know ,I don't think u can lose the benefits of herbal tea are great and the taste and smell don't hurt
                          take care good luck
                          joe
                            Green1 Adventurer

I would say opening a tea house depends on the market in the your chosen area.
                            There are several within an hours drive of my home that I frequent quite often.

I see it as beneficial if sandwiches or light snacks are offered. The tea houses I am familiar with do not offer coffee. I am a coffee drinker also but for this I only purchase from a brand name, unless I cannot locate one in my travels.

Good luck

songwolffarm Adventurer
                              While I`m not an investor yet(could be a year or so for that) I love the idea myself and we have something similiar in my area.
                              Actually, we have 2.
                              One is a coffee house which serves food that is vegan and is a venue for local artists to display their artwork and sometimes musicians come in and perform. My father has also done live mic for his radio program Honest Contempt for Authority. It`s run by college students from Northland College which is here in town and big on nature and sciences.
                              The other neat place we have is a Bistro. The building itself has bad history. Many times it`s been bought and quickly resold with nothing being done to it, but they made it prosper!! They have local musicians play a few times a week and hold fundraisers for local families with health problems.

If I`m ever in FL and you have your tea house, I`ll be sure to stop in. In fact, I will be in FL late July if I get my funding to pick up horses :)

Love love love the idea and keep it up!