Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2008 4:51 PM by waldo5

Farming Investors

waldo5 Wayfarer
      I am looking for any investors to help me build a barn to raise chickens in. The eggs would be are product! I have more details if anyone is interested.
        • Re: Farming Investors
          MRFINANCE Adventurer
          Tell us a little more.

Why not rent a facility to begin with.

Joe

Richton Funding
              waldo5 Wayfarer
              There is no place to rent like what is needed. They supply the chickens, feed and transportation. I am to supply the land and a 500 ft. building, which cost is about 500,000 dollors just for the building. Totally enclosed and i am to take care of the birds, and the building, plus pay utilitys. Payout is around 85,000 per year for me before the cost of the building and utilittys is taking out. So that is why i can't rent, not sure if that explains it enough though. Any ideas would be appreciated!
              Bridge Navigator
              What is your expected annual profit after expenses?

As a side note, $500,000 for 500 sq/ft = $1,000/sq.ft. that seems very expensive - even if land is included in the projected cost!

I'll admit I do not know much about raising chickens but I have been involved in bothe commercial and industrial property transactions before.
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Just FYI . . . an egg farm near me has around 40,000 laying hens (that's tiny by egg farm standards), and the 21-year-old barns for them (about 48,000 sf total) are assessed at slightly more than $1.2 million.
                    Bridge Navigator
                    It appears that a 500 sq/ft facility would not be appropriate for a "commercial" egg laying opportuntiy unless you just want to lay an egg...sorry could not resist.
                        waldo5 Wayfarer
                        well here in my area, the company is looking for farmers to open a 500 ft long, 26,000 sq. ft. building to raise cage free birds, that house 20,000 birds. That is what they are looking for, so i am trying to find a way to put up a building., But thinks for the humor!
                            Bridge Navigator
                            Waldo, you never mentioned a 260,00 sq/ft building, only a 5000 Ft building!

Still, the first think you need to do is come up with income projections.
                                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Bridge, the initial post said 500 ft -- not 500 square feet. Easy to understand the confusion, but these types of livestock barns are nearly all 40 foot or 50 foot modular clearspan, so when talking barns, agri-business folks generally talk total length.
                                    Bridge Navigator
                                    The clarification certainly helps. In an earlier post I brought up the sq/ft seemed high trying to get a better understainding of the project (I could not envision a $1,000/sq.ft. chocken coupe!) but it was not addressed until several posts later.

I still think an income projectioin is necessary. What are the metris here? How many chicken can the barn hold and what is teh average yield per chiocken?

Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                        I'd imagine that Waldo5 can provide all that to a serious investor (right, Waldo5?). The size of the farm and methods of caging, feeding, caretaking, etc. can all affect the metrics -- and some of those details are probably proprietary.
                                            waldo5 Wayfarer
                                            I can truthfully say no i can't provide that information, and that is only from lack of knowledge. But thanks to your input, lighthouse and bridge, my knowledge is growing. You both can be sure that is on my aggenda for this week, and there will be knew posts! Thanks to all!

Mike