Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 4:11 PM by Lighthouse24

Economic Funk...

designer Tracker
      I know this is a loaded question, but I sincerely mean it when I ask...What will it take for our economy to improve and get back to a positive growth and stability phase? Gas & food prices are climbing, stocks are diving. I know I watch all the major companies and banks and they seem to lose between 50 cents and 1.00 a day. Lay-offs are still happening, people are afraid to spend more-or-less and everyone is watching their pennies.....

Can a new President in Office help? Would getting our troops back home shift the attitude? Do we need a brand new "booming" market? Do we need to go back to true customer service instead of calling and pressing 1 for this and 2 for that? I just would like to hear from some experts...what will it take and what is the consensus of when things should start turning around?
        • Re: Economic Funk...
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          Well, I'm certainly NOT an expert, but until one shows up here to post something . . .

I tend to view the economy as a "force."

To use one of my business metaphors, a small sailboat and a small enterprise have a lot in common. A small sailboat totally relies on, and is somewhat at the mercy of, two very powerful forces (wind and water). All I can do as captain is try to use them to my best advantage when they favor me, and survive them when they seem to be trying to kill me. Millions of factors came together to create the wind and waves that I'm experiencing at this moment. I can't change them to make the winds blow or the currents flow that way I want (and if I tried, I'd probably cause a bigger ecological disaster than any we've experienced so far). All I can do is adjust my sails and heading to try to use those forces to get where I ultimately want to go.

Likewise, I don't think anyone can "fix" the economy -- millions of factors make it what it is, and in a (mostly) free enterprise system, it (mostly) takes care of itself. The more "experts" try to mess with it, the more the potential for a real disaster exists. All we can do is adjust our sails and heading, watch for the lighthouses that keep us off the rocks, and enjoy the adventure. The storm will pass when it passes.