Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 7:44 AM by b.walter

Opening a Tattoo Establishment

mharvey Wayfarer
      I am planning on opening a tattoo/body piercing establishment in Missouri. I am wanting to open the shop in this small town that is planning on building a super wal-mart. I have found a building on the town square for about $60,000. It is around 3500 sq.ft. and has two stories. The reason for opening the shop is to have a place closer to the smaller towns where people can come get body art work and modifications without having to pay so much in gas to get to the larger cities and also to have artist that know exactly what they are doing. There is one other shop near by, but that place is horrible. I don't know how it stays open. I have been in the tattooing industry for about 4 years now. I have ran two tattoo shops in California and am wanting to be in Missouri. I am needed a start-up loan to open the business. I have begun working on a business plan. I am only 23 years old, and have no credit. I am wondering if I should continue on the business plan, as i have had people tell me that i am just wasting my time. I figured that if i want to open a business, it is better to do it while i am young and have time to bounce back if something goes wrong. Please let me know if there are any suggestions.

Thank you
        • Re: Opening a Tattoo Establishment
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Opening a Tattoo Establishment, Welcome it sounds very exciting.

Yes you should continue working on a business plan. The bus plan serves as an assessment tool.
          As you work your way through the plan, it will help you reaffirm the viability of your ideas

You should also contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE and can help you.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I agree that it would be worthwhile to continue working on your business plan, mainly so you can eliminate the "if something goes wrong" part of the equation. Welcome to the community, and best wishes on your start-up endeavor.
              designer Tracker
              I think you should do what you love and are passionate about!!! Make up your mind, stick to your decision and stay focused!!! Age does not matter.

Now, about needing $60,000.00????? Are you serious? Why so much money? Is it for equipment or ??? Can't you lease some space for a year and give it a go while building a reputation and client base?
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mharvey Wayfarer
                  I am not needing $60,000. that is just how much the building cost. If anything i am probably only going to need about 20,000 to 30,000. 12,000 would be for a down payment on the building. I have been researching a bit and found that if i put 12,000 down, the payments would no more than 350 a month. that would be for me paying the building that i would live and work at. It is a two story building and the bottom half would be the shop and the top would be my loft. I am just wondering if because of my age if it will be harder to get the amount that i need.
                  b.walter Newbie
                  I am also planning on doing the same in atlanta but i have no idea where to start.