Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2008 9:30 PM by xenopod

Assumed Name

xenopod Adventurer
      So my company is in Rochelle IL which is in Ogle County IL.

We already filed this form with the county:
      http://oglecountyclerk.org/Assumed%20Name
      %20Form.pdf

We already have our assumed name certificate from the county. (To use Xenopod instead of always using Xenopod Inc.which we use on like our business cards)

However the assumed name doesn't show up in our records for the state. So when I was looking around the IL SOS website I ran across this form:
      http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publica
      tions/pdf_publications/bca415.pdf

So I have a few questions. Should I be concerned that our assumed name doesn't show up in the state records? What is the purpose of having an assumed named filed with the state as oppose to the county? Do you need to be on file with both? If so why do you (or should you) have both filed? Is it sufficient to just have the assumed name with the county? How important is it to file this on the state level, because they have an odd pricing schedule and it requires periodic re-registration, and what are some of the potential pitfalls of not?

Let me know what you all think or any experiences you have about this. Am I just looking at this all wrong? I appreciate it always thank you in advance!
        • Re: Assumed Name
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Assumed Name, You have filed your business name with the IRS and have received
          a Federal I D Number?? CORRECT
          You have an Accountant and a Lawyer, Right

Most state courts have held that a legally assumed name is a legal name and usable as their true name,though assumed names are often not considered the person's technically
          true name.

I personally would NOT be concerned that your assumed name doesn't show up in the state records.

LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            If the corporation is registered in Illinois, and if all of your financial transactions (billing/invoicing, business credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) will be executed under the corporate name, then I wouldn't worry about it.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              xenopod Adventurer
              Thanks Luckiest and Lighthouse as always I appreciate the thoughtful insights. :)
                xenopod Adventurer
                Luckiest and Lighthouse as always your thoughtful insights are appreciated. Thank you! :)