Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2011 2:17 AM by GoAdUnlim

"No Soliciting" signs.

abacusoem Newbie
      For years I have rellied in yellow pages advertising to promote my office equipment repair business.
      Now I want to distribute flyers door to door but I notice that most businesses have a "No Soliciting" sign
      on their front door and many tower office building security discourage you from doing this.
      Would it be better to mail them instead?
        • Re: "No Soliciting" signs.
          LUCKIEST Guide
          "No Soliciting" signs, You are NOT SOLICITING

*The term 'solicitation' always implies some sort of commercial element
          *Local ordinances that forbid solicitation may prevent
          door-to-door sales.*

You are NOT selling, you are handing out flyers or advertisements.

Using the mails is expensive and a waste of time (my view) and money.

Danifer Wayfarer
            If you're targeting businesses that don't want solicitations, I don't think you'll have much luck either with hand-delivered flyers or by mail.

In the past, I've always personally walked into a business with a story like:

I'm new in the area and I'm meeting my neighbors.
            I like your sign - who did it?
            I'm interested in your product or service, can you tell me more about it?
            I know a guy who might be interested in what you do. Can you tell me more about it?

At no point during the conversation should you mention your business. Don't tell them what you do or who you work with. Ask them lots of questions about what they do, how long they've been there, etc. Don't be annoying and leave at the first sign that they don't want to talk to you.

I've found that 9 times out of 10 if you ask someone about their business they will eventually ask you about yours, and they will be much more receptive to you. If they don't ask, thank them for their time and ask for a business card. When you get back to the office, write them a personal email using their name. Mention something that you talked about. Don't mention your business, but do include a signature at the bottom of your email with your contact information.

After working in some of the strip mall type storefronts, I know first hand how most people will solicit business. 99% of the flyers we received went in the trash unopened. 99% of our junk mail went straight to the shredder. 99% of walk-ins were hustled out because they were there to sell us something or get the "decision makers" contact info.

What separates my technique from the others is that you're not showing up at someone else's business to sell them something. You're there to learn something about their business and that's it. People really respond to that.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                SohoConcierge Wayfarer
                I completely agree with "Danifar". in past I have done both mail and email marketing with very littel or no response but face to face interaction has done wonders for me and my business. You want to make sure that you have very good web presance so people you talk to have no problem finding you online as most people like to do business online. optimization is one way. Every business needs help, you just have to listen and use it to your advantage.

Please fell free to contact me with any Questions or Concern.

Lighthouse24 Ranger

Most jurisdictions include door-to-door sales in their local ordinances regarding solicitation, so it's important that you not be there selling something, but rather delivering information.

If you can create a flyer that includes tips or advice about your products (like a newsletter) -- or that announces a new product, service, or location -- then the reason for your visit will more clearly be to share important information as opposed to trying to sell something. If someone points at the sign, you can say, "Oh, I'm not selling anything, I just wanted to let you know about . . ." Of course, if you're on private property and they ask you to leave, do so -- quickly and politely.

Direct mail works if you have a good list (i.e., you can send the piece to a person who you know is a qualified prospect). Otherwise, it is usually expensive and somewhat ineffective to do yourself.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the community and best wishes.