Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2008 1:02 PM by designer

Google question...

designer Tracker

I have a Google related question....

I noticed the last 2 weeks or so on Google, I would type in: Kenneth Fron

and then my jewelry Web site would come up and there would be about 6 links that would be shown to click BUZZ, About, Catalog, etc. It looked really nice and gave a more detailed breakout if someone tried to search my site.

I noticed last night, it was all gone.

I randomly googled a few other people or places and some sites had what I had before, others didn't. Did anyone else notice this? Is anyone from Google out here that can maybe reply? I wondered if they were testing something? I started to think maybe I had something set up real nice and then it was gone. Thank you so much!
        • Re: Google question...
          DomainDiva Ranger
          I have long suspected that the Google algorithim contains a revenue generating identification tag.
              designer Tracker
              Hi, there! Are you kind of saying that when my site really didn't benefit Google in any way, shape or form, they sort of dropped me? It's a shame because my site will run hot and cold, depending on what's going on with necklace features. I've been posting lot's of new pieces and been pretty busy lately. Just shipped 3 necklaces off this morning, so I'm still a happy camper. LOL!
                  NetMarketer Wayfarer
                  @ Designer

Just a friendly reminder that a representative from Google will be here at SBOC and you can ask them questions directly...

http://smallbusinessonlinecommunity.banko
                  famerica.com/thread/4917

Looks like you already have a question in there... but you can ask as many as you want. I'm amazed more people haven't started queuing up more questions.
                      designer Tracker
                      Thanks, NetMarketer....I will copy and paste it over there. I figure if I have the question and wonder, there's got to be at least 10 others wondering the same.

I felt such a loss last night to see all my detailed links gone. Wondered why they give it to a person, then take it all away.

Thank you!
                          NetMarketer Wayfarer
                          @ Designer

OK I've re-read your post and I believe I know what you are talking about:

Google Sitelinks.

SiteLinks are a completely automated feature of Google Search (and a great topic to ask Jon). I'll do my best to tell you what I know about it. Here is Google's description of it:

"Sitelinks are additional links Google sometimes generates from site contents in order to help users navigate your site. Google generates these sitelinks periodically from your site's contents. Because we generate sitelinks dynamically, this list can change from time to time."

Now, here is what I'll tell you from my own experience. Sitelinks appear when you have internal pages within your site that have been "deep linked" directly from other outside websites. If those internal pages have a high enough authority (inbound links from other websites) then they are likely to appear in Sitelinks.

Once you have sitelinks up, you can opt to "block" some of them from within Google Webmaster Tools.

If you don't already have Google Webmaster Tools -- then that is your assignment this week. :) Seriously, there are a ton of useful gems in there, most notably the ability to upload a SiteMap to Google with a list of all the web pages that make up your site. Uploading your website into Google via SiteMap is the best way I know of to say "Hey I'm here and I've updated my Site!" to Google.

As to why your links suddenly disappeared, I have no idea. Could it help if you uploaded an updated sitemap to Google and possibly help them point out internal pages with higher authority making them eligible for Sitelinks? Well it can't hurt!

NM
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              designer Tracker
                              Thank you very much, NetMarketer! I learned a lot today about Google Sitelinks from you, and will talk to my Webmaster, later today for the Sitemap you suggested. I know my Web guy is constantly checking out things behind the scenes and internally for me. I will have to accept that Sitelinks are random and will keep on working hard.

I guess a question for Google would be maybe if we can pay to have the Sitelinks permanent? I would like that. When people Google the name, then they can see and decide what path they want to go down and the sitelinks are cool.

Thanks!