Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 7:02 PM by LUCKIEST

Where do your clients come from?

designer Tracker
      It would be great to see for small business owners, where they feel MOST of their clients come from?

Web surfers, Walk-ins, Word of mouth, Existing friends, etc.

I really, really try to figure out my client base, but it is so hard to. I once heard in marketing, that if people already know you...you should send them one or two postcards, emails or phone calls and then move on, that you really need to focus on new strangers to expand business. Lot's of people say we all need to get out there in public and meet people, but so many clients are Web site surfers and will buy if you have good product and trustworthy site even though you never met them. It seems a bit confusing.
        • Re: Where do your clients come from?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Where do your clients come from

What a loaded question! It’s also a crucial question for the success of
          any sales career.
          Where do clients come from? Try looking at the
          question this way; What influences a buyer or seller
          to call and hire
          you? This is perhaps a more accurate and useful question to answer.

It’s all about trust. Trust is something we Americans have very little
          of. We are bombarded
          with advertisements that extol the benefits of
          this product and that product.
          We are continuously enticed to act, to
          buy; to believe such crap that we are automatically skeptical.
          But when
          a friend leads us to something by direct referral, we believe, we act
          and we buy.
          It’s all about trust.

LUCKIEST
            Iwrite Pioneer
            Designer,

Customers come from everywhere. The key is to figure out where your
            customers are and go to them, whether it is through broadcast or print
            or the web.

I think getting out and meeting people is recommended because it is free and easy. The questions on this forum are mainly connected to marketing or advertising for little or no money.

The web is a great source of business for some but not all. It is depends on the type of business and the price point of the product or service. Would I buy a diamond ring off the web? No. I want to see it and touch it if I am going to make a purchase like that. Yes, you can grow your business and folks from all over will buy your product off the web.

The idea of growing your business is not an either/or situation. You don't do this and avoid that, you use as many tools as you can to grow your business. Existing clients are easier sales, meaning they require less to convert them to purchase from you than someone who hasn't bought from you before. They know the product.

I am doing a lot of is managing my clients' expectations. Using the web along, will customers be beating down your door? No, but you have people pedaling the internet like it will. TV and print will not either. Loyalty programs and PR don't either. Nothing alone will. This is why I get so fired up when poeple offer up these one size fits all solutions, they do not work as much as promised.

My clients are mainly from word-of-mouth.

LUCKIEST Guide
              Where do your clients come from

What a loaded question! It’s also a crucial question for the success of
              any sales career. Where do clients come from? Try looking at the
              question this way; What influences a buyer or seller to call and hire
              you?

It’s all about trust. Trust is something we Americans have very little
              of. We are bombarded with advertisements that extol the benefits of
              this product and that product. We are continuously enticed to act, to
              buy; to believe such crap that we are automatically skeptical. But when
              a friend leads us to something by direct referral, we believe, we act
              and we buy. It’s all about trust.

LUCKIEST